SAU Community

N1 Oil Pump Killed My Engine .....

campbell

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does that $1200 price estimate for a JUN/Tomei/Trust oil pump fitted include an enlarged sump, external oil return, head restrictor and baffles. Or are those extras costs? if so can sum1 give me an estimate for that too.

is there a cost difference or preference between the brands?

cheers thanks for the info

So does that $1200 price estimate for a JUN/Tomei/Trust oil pump fitted include an enlarged sump, external oil return, head restrictor and baffles. Or are those extras costs? if so can sum1 give me an estimate for that too.

is there a cost difference or preference between the brands?

cheers thanks for the info

your looking closer to 2.5g's for all of that.

what spec is the car? fair chance you might not need it :dry:

yeh i thought that was too good to be true hahaha.

You are right that i dont need it definitely not now anyway. even for what i would want to do to my car in the future i probably wouldnt require that serious a oil setup. but for 1200 big ones i thought it might be worth it.

yeh i thought that was too good to be true hahaha.

You are right that i dont need it definitely not now anyway. even for what i would want to do to my car in the future i probably wouldnt require that serious a oil setup. but for 1200 big ones i thought it might be worth it.

I've got new N1 pumps for my 25 build... not worried as its really a circuit motor that won't be pushing much more than 250rwkw... almost standard rev limit and baffled/circuit sump, restricted feeds etc

what I want to know is should I run the crank collar or not... I suppose logic would suggest with the price of the collar its cheap insurance?

also guys that have had the pump fail are you sure you it wasn't detonation that pounded the crank which may have cracked the pump? might be a case of which came first the chicken or the egg? most had forged pistons which can take a fair bit of detonation before they are damaged... of course I would expect some pretty smooshed bearings in this case as well...

will do cheers Geoff... I must admit I haven't looked closely at the old pump even tho its been sitting on the garage floor for weeks! I'm just replacing everything that goes up and down or round and round regardless of condition... and its all pretty stuffed hehe

• 7 months later...
i spoke to them at high octaine in sydney they recomended them as well as a few othe r people building big hp cars but i guess i no now,,,,,

thats weird because my mate works at hioctane and he recommends the tomei oil pump's over the N1

f*k me i just read through the 1st page......i decided to go with the n1 pump and the collar thinking that it would suit wat i wanted.

pretty much a weekend car now, occasionally the spirted run. very rarely will see anywhere near the redline. and maybe take it to the strip when saturns moons perfectly align every now and then.

should i be worried with 350-400kw and a n1 pump?

i just couldnt justify spending 2-3k on a oil pump, but if its going to cost me my engine......maybe i should have..........

Edited by R34NRG

f*k me i just read through the 1st page......i decided to go with the n1 pump and the collar thinking that it would suit wat i wanted.

pretty much a weekend car now, occasionally the spirted run. very rarely will see anywhere near the redline. and maybe take it to the strip when saturns moons perfectly align every now and then.

i just couldnt justify spending 2-3k on a oil pump, but if its going to cost me my engine......maybe i should have..........

Been thinking the same thing :)

Just stay off the limiter and you should be sweet guys.

thats a very "bandage" solution there buddy :blink:

and pointless when your at this power level.

i agree we shouldnt punish the limiter, but what are you gonna do at the strip? or any other location for that matter when you do want to give it a lil

thats a very "bandage" solution there buddy :blink:

and pointless when your at this power level.

i agree we shouldnt punish the limiter, but what are you gonna do at the strip? or any other location for that matter when you do want to give it a lil

Then pull your engine out and replace it. Don't ask for advice if you are:

1. too foolish to have worked it out beforehand, and

2. a weekend warrior who is going to bash the advice of an engineer that has worked in the V8SC pits.

What would you like? Shall we get a roster together of people who are going to come hold you hand? It's not the mediocre power figure that is critical. It's banging it hard on the limiter. Even the most incompetent drivers will soon learn not to. The only other option aside for staying off the limiter is lift the redline to where you can't hit the limiter. Common enough practice if you are aware that it isn't there for every day. For Sandown I used to run an extra 500rpm so I didn't have to shift up between turns 1 and 2, but I didn't then use it for the rest of the track and it was locked down again as soon as the day was over.

Now, it's the weekend, so either get back in the playpen son or go do some of that traffic light drags you must be aching for.

Then pull your engine out and replace it. Don't ask for advice if you are:

1. too foolish to have worked it out beforehand, and

2. a weekend warrior who is going to bash the advice of an engineer that has worked in the V8SC pits.

What would you like? Shall we get a roster together of people who are going to come hold you hand? It's not the mediocre power figure that is critical. It's banging it hard on the limiter. Even the most incompetent drivers will soon learn not to. The only other option aside for staying off the limiter is lift the redline to where you can't hit the limiter. Common enough practice if you are aware that it isn't there for every day. For Sandown I used to run an extra 500rpm so I didn't have to shift up between turns 1 and 2, but I didn't then use it for the rest of the track and it was locked down again as soon as the day was over.

Now, it's the weekend, so either get back in the playpen son or go do some of that traffic light drags you must be aching for.

LOL, Have another stogie Geoff. :blink:

I was so undecided as to wether to spend the extra tin on a better pump but the more research i did made me do it and quite a few oil mods at the same time.

I ended up using the Jun pump and collar and darn glad i did.

well I don't beleive that you need anything other than an n1 pump unless you are really going to be abusing it (eg rev limiter launches etc). for your average rebuild an n1 pump is fine.

that pump posted above clearly shows huge abuse. You can't really complain if the pump cracks when you are doing that to it. Lucky the pump died before the rod jumped out of the block.

We run n1 pumps in the race and targa cars and have never had a problem. Probably used 10 of them over the years. this inclues many race launches (not from redline though)

btw yes you might hit the limiter if you are not paying enough attention to your driving - its when you keep it there you have a problem. the drivers foot is what controlls the revs not the limiter in the computer.