SAU Community

Bus Driver Has Over 10 Crashes A Year

scathing

This is why I don't catch buses, and hate driving anywhere near them.

What to do with a bus driver who has had 69 accidents in six years of driving? His union wants him reinstated; the Transport Minister wants to know why he got so many chances.

Victor Miguel, a bus driver since 2000, was dismissed by State Transit after a August 31 report found that, despite being re-trained six times, he continued to have accidents, according to Channel Nine.

In one trip, an undercover State Transit employee found Mr Miguel allegedly ran a red light, tail-gated other vehicles and stopped and accelerated suddenly.

Source: SMH

I've seen some farkin atrocious bus drivers. At least a couple of times a week I see them nearly run into someone, though given that I live not far from a depot I probably see a disproportionate amount of buses, and given the driving displayed by nearly everyone else in this area (Toowong) they are probably just trying to fit in :(

That said, the vast majority of the time they're not too bad. The only thing they're guilty of most of the time is using the "give way to buses when pulling away from the kerb" rule as an excuse to barge into traffic without checking if someone is already half way past them, and cutting people off.

Anyway, in the example given above, there is no way in hell I would give that guy his job back. Surely even the unions can see that he should not be behind the wheel of a bus?

I have been catching Sydney buses for a while and most of them are very skillful drivers. I was on a bus once though, and the bus had it's mirror taken off. I am sure the driver did it deliberately cos he didn't want to drive because he just immediately kicked us all off the bus and I was up the front watching him. Another time the same thing happened the driver stopped, radioed in and wrote a little note. Took him all of about 4 minutes and we were back on the way.

That said, my uncle drove trams in melbourne. 13 accidents in 7 years.

Thats because when all you northerners come down here you all dont know how to do hook turns

what sort of f**k wit came up with hook turns? i'm a northerner and i only know the basics of them. i think you southern people need to get some more warm weather. the cold is affecting your brains, LOL.

that is a typical union point of view. so what if the guy has had 50 million accidents. the union wouldn't care if the guy raped little girls, as long as he paid his union fee's they'd stand up for him.

the unions are ruining small business. i run a small business, and workers have more rights than i do. if i have a part time employee, after 6 months the law said i had to put them onto full time, whether i could afford to or not.

that is a typical union point of view. so what if the guy has had 50 million accidents. the union wouldn't care if the guy raped little girls, as long as he paid his union fee's they'd stand up for him.

That was my biggest issue with what was in the article.

"We have to defend him", they say. My first thought was, "Yeah.....f**k using our heads and doing the right thing...we've got an agenda to follow and that doesn't require us to be reasonable".

The unions could have found him another job, doing something else. Maybe a desk job where the only thing he can crash is his computer (you shouldn't be fired for crashing your Windows PC 10 times a year, since it'll crash more times by itself) or something that stops him doing something he's clearly not capable of doing, and risking people's lives in the process.

To be fair this is 1 driver out of 2500 STA drivers - kind of like saying all Skyline drivers are hoons because one got caught doing 100 in a school zone dont you think?

Good point, but hoons generally don't have the lives of 40+ people in their hands at any given time.

Personally, I think that anyone who has more than one "at fault" accident over a 12 month period obviously can't drive, and should have their licence taken away.

They're not all bad, I catch the bus most days of the week and usually the driver's a champion. I've encountered plenty of wankers though, but that's life.

Good point, but hoons generally don't have the lives of 40+ people in their hands at any given time.

Personally, I think that anyone who has more than one "at fault" accident over a 12 month period obviously can't drive, and should have their licence taken away.

That'd be unfair though, I've had one at fault (unclaimed) because the dipshit slammed his brakes on in the wet at a green light. His stopping power was just greater than mine.

That's a pretty lame argument.

If you were unable to stop in time, that would mean you were travelling too closely, and not driving to suit the wet conditions.