SAU Community

Nt To Vote This Week To Adopt A 110km/h Speed Limit Maximum

Keepleft

It'll be the same problem as other states though - with a lowering of the speed limit, the cops see it as an opportunity to litter the countryside with speed cameras and mobile lasers to catch the people who would have been completely safe and legal the day before. There was a stretch of road out near where I used to live that went from 100 all the way through, to 100-80-100... a 500m-long 80 zone slapped in the middle for no apparent reason. The cops used to sit on that stretch practically every single day and rake in the cash.

Given their response to dropping limits 20km/h, I can only imagine how money-hungry they'll become when the limit goes from infinity to 110, assuming this does in fact get voted in... you watch, all of a sudden they'll start beating the "speed kills" drum, and every crash reported on the news will mention speed as a "contributing factor". More than a little bit hypocritical for a state/territory that simultaneously has the highest speed limit, and a road toll near (or at) the lowest in the country.

Revhead you are 100% right and we all know it. RANT

BUT, the problem is it will continue to happen that way as we are all to apathetic to do anything about it by letting the politicians know how we feel and we ARE going to do something about it at the next election. (SOON)

The revolution of the internet forum will have the the single biggest impact on the way politicians think and act in the coming years if my hunch is right.

Finally all us motoring enthusiasts/drivers will start to make a groundswell of change across the country against all the stupid retoric (SPEED KILLS!) Etc. and insane roadlaws that just exist to fill government coffers with money they can use on grants to artist friends and other irelevant wastage.

The problem in the past has been we have been in an insular environment to some degree when it comes to all getting our heads together on this roadlaws issue, but this is rapidly changing.

Only recently has it been posible to now converse with hundreds or even thousands of like minded individuals on this matter across many automotive enthusiast forums.

Imagine the actual numbers of enthusiasts that are congregating on all the variuos forums out there today ( I see at least 300 EVERY DAY on SAU)

that could make a difference to the way the politicians think if we all got together on a single subject crusade like roadlaws.

NO, maybe I am wrong! You all let the anti-hoon laws go thru!

What so I do a burnout and loose my car?(Unlikely as its AWD Auto RB20;-)

What did that twice convicted Drunk driver get fined the other day?!

I would be willing to bet there are more people on here likely to do a burnout than get convicted a few times for drunk driving.

So once again the very low number of dangerous drunk driving cretins get let off with a slap on the wrist and the far larger group of burnout artists have the chance of loosing their car valued at many thousands now able to be confiscated!?

Guys I am over 50 so its unlikely I will be done for burnouts ( as I said its an Auto AWD RB20 and I would if I could;-) BUT, you could be!!

I dont condone stupid behaviour on the roads but have been guilty of it in my younger days, but you dont need to be doing something stupid to get yourself killed on the road! (RIP Brocky)

Let the "FORCE of the FORUM" be with us for the future sanity in some of these ridiculous laws being passed by fools that run this country.

/RANT

Well... There is a limited number of speed cameras up here. No fixed cameras, the majority of them are in the new police cars. Our road cameras are in big white vans with POLICE written all over them and reflective stickers, so if you don't see them, you deserve to be done.

NT have the best roads in Australia and we have some of the best cars coming up here doing speed tests down the highway before production and sales. I'd like to see our cop cars chase down the latest Ferrari or Porsche.

:dry:

the problem is that the no speed limit areas are there. and you are supposed to do a safe speed for your car, but you'd get any tom, dick and harry in some clapped out piece of crap that should safely go at about 110kmh max, and they try and wind it up to 200kmh.

There are no facts to support road deaths in open speed limits. Noone (that I am aware) has died up here on our open roads because they have been going too fast. Most death come form communities where locals are in a landcruiser and it rolls on a dirt road and noone is wearing seat belts, or in town accidents common to all other capital city accidents.

the problem is that the no speed limit areas are there. and you are supposed to do a safe speed for your car, but you'd get any tom, dick and harry in some clapped out piece of crap that should safely go at about 110kmh max, and they try and wind it up to 200kmh.
People do this kind of thing already, in other states in Australia that don't have open speed limits. It's going to happen regardless of whether the speed limit (or lack thereof) says that they're allowed to or not, and making it illegal won't make it any less dangerous.

i find it fairly interesting that states (and countries) that have areas with open speed limits often have the lowest road death rates.

could be the fact that people no longer feel the need to open the taps on any old (and normally fairly shocking) road when they do it without reprecussions elsewhere.

Edited by scandyflick

i find it fairly interesting that states (and countries) that have areas with open speed limits often have the lowest road death rates.

could be the fact that people no longer feel the need to open the taps on any old (and normally fairly shocking) road when they do it without reprecussions elsewhere.

or it could be the fact that in other contries those roads are all trvelling the same direction, not head on. and they are usually toll roads, so not everyone uses them, and they have slower lanes and faster lanes.

and the roads like that in NT has little traffic. it isn't like removing the spped limit off the harbour bridge or anything like that.

The revolution of the internet forum will have the the single biggest impact on the way politicians think and act in the coming years if my hunch is right.

hrrmm

as much a I would like to agree with you, internet forums, especially ones where the users are a target minority group, is going to have 6 tenths of FCUK ALL effect on politicians.

mainly because we just sit behind our computers with endless 24 hour a day banter. plus, can you really take a community seriously when its in the same board as a "cum stains" thread and leetspeak

they dont care about real car clubs, so why would they care about an internet one.

they are going to do precisely jack shit for us.

Edited by racsov500

I love that "contributing factor" statement that police make after accidents about speed. Every single accident has speed as a contributing factor- if they were stationary there would not have been an accident would there? Maybe NT should pioneer new 0 km/h speed limits and marvel at the drop in the road toll?

I love that "contributing factor" statement that police make after accidents about speed. Every single accident has speed as a contributing factor- if they were stationary there would not have been an accident would there?

*sigh*.

The message behind that statement is... the faster you go, the faster things can get out of control.

You have less time/distance to react to an emergency.

The faster you're going, the harder you hit.

How hard you hit is a major factor when it comes to the difference between being able to walk away from the accident unharmed/with a few scratches & whiplash, or buying yourself a one way ticket to a box under a lawn somewhere.

(Or somewhere in between, where you get to have a set of wheels attached to your body for the rest of your life)

Noone (that I am aware) has died up here on our open roads because they have been going too fast.

This sounds speed related?

8/9/06

The Saturday before last, around dawn, the pair sped down McMillans Road at Karama. At some point, ***** ******* lost control of the car. It careened off the road, wrapped around a tree and burst into flames. Police arrived quickly and managed to pull the cousins from the flaming wreck. But it was too late for the young driver and late last week, his eighteen year-old cousin also succumbed to the force of the crash.

At a lower speed, he may possibly have been able to control the car and not kill himself and someone else.

The safety council's own statistics show that speed was the cause of death in only 10 of the 55 fatal accidents last year.

Isn't that 10 too many?

I think the point is, why is speed getting so much more attention than whatever factors caused the other 80% of the 55 deaths? The deaths that speed did NOT cause?

Simple. Speed limits are extremely profitable and easily enforceable - point radar, if number on radar > number on sign, hand out ticket.