SAU Community

Gtr Exhast Glowing

GTR.2NV

I was wondering why my exhaust would be glowing?

Alright now to start with the problem I have when i'm driving it.

I will be sitting on about 100 and it will be sitting on about 3000rpm in 5th gear and when I try to speed up a little or even alot the car will start to boost up, but between 0 and .5 bar it is a real pain in the butt to gain or maintain boost. It will have like a flutter effect, the boost needle in my apexi boost guage will go up and down rapidly and the car will jerk back and forward while this is happening. Then all of a sudden it might just reach .5 bar and boost properly.

Does anyone know why it might be doing this?

Someone said to me that it might be the igniter, and if it is where do I get one and how much?

It has got so bad I don't even wanna drive my car.

I will be sitting on about 100 and it will be sitting on about 3000rpm in 5th gear and when I try to speed up a little or even alot the car will start to boost up, but between 0 and .5 bar it is a real pain in the butt to gain or maintain boost. It will have like a flutter effect, the boost needle in my apexi boost guage will go up and down rapidly and the car will jerk back and forward while this is happening. Then all of a sudden it might just reach .5 bar and boost properly.

Someone said to me that it might be the igniter, and if it is where do I get one and how much?

How about some information for us to work with?

1. Lets start with what mods?

2. Then how about how long has it been doing it?

3. And what was the last thing you modified before it started doing it?

4. How long ago did you chasnge the sprk plugs?

5. What sort of plugs?

6. What gap?

Then we might be able to help.

:) cheers :D

1. has got forged pistons, eagle rods, balanced, garrett 2560 x2, triple plate, turbo back exhaust, running on 13psi, air filters, oil cooler, sar r2d2 bov

2. It has been doing it since i got the rebuild ( 2 weeks but han't driven it much) I took it to rajab racing and they dynoed it but didn't fit that problem they fixed another.

3. Before the engine blew nothin

4. Not since i bought it

5. NGK R

6. Don't know

Could it be coil packs ( i have been told that i need them to)

Thanks

1. has got forged pistons, eagle rods, balanced, garrett 2560 x2, triple plate, turbo back exhaust, running on 13psi, air filters, oil cooler, sar r2d2 bov

2. It has been doing it since i got the rebuild ( 2 weeks but han't driven it much) I took it to rajab racing and they dynoed it but didn't fit that problem they fixed another.

3. Before the engine blew nothin

4. Not since i bought it

5. NGK R

6. Don't know

Could it be coil packs ( i have been told that i need them to)

Thanks

There is no ECU on the list, so has it still got the standard one?

Have just got standard but it's been tuned gy mines b4 engine blew

There's your problem, it needs to be retuned.

It still might be worthwhile you checking the plug gap, around 0.8 mm is OK, but no larger.

If that helps, but doesn't cure it totally, then come down to 0.65 mm.

Get a PowerFC and take it to Racepace :)

And then all your problems will go.

Interesting you put eagle rods in there when only using 2560's

I wouldnt go buy coil packs, i bet yours are perfectly fine. You'd know if they werent working (or at least one wasnt)

The symptoms sound like compressor shuffle. This is quite common with the large low mounts terbs and seperate pod filters. Adding aftermarket BOVs can also worsen the problem as the standard GT-R BOV arrangement also acts as an equalising bridge on the intake side of the terbs.

I would suggest:

* refit the std BOV setup

* get the ECU retuned of fit a PFC as suggested (pay particular focus on the transition points around neutral boost)

* consider a bridged terb manifold

Cheers

Gav

Edited by Gav

what sort of boost controller you running too?

my old HKS EVC II would make the car 'surgey' (even after calibration)

a simple pnuematic bleed valve made it run much better

Along with the things Gary mentioned, this could also be and area to look at.

How much do these cost, where do i get them from and what is the difference between this and a normal manifold (do allow wastegates?)

Do you know where i can a cheap pfc with controler?

What spark plugs do you recommend?

Thanks

How much do these cost, where do i get them from and what is the difference between this and a normal manifold (do allow wastegates?)

Do you know where i can a cheap pfc with controler?

What spark plugs do you recommend?

Thanks

Mine is an HKS unit that I bought second hand and then ceramic coated (done after this pic). New I think that they're around $1,500 (check Nengun etc for pricing).

I can't say how much this helped on it's own, as I changed ECU's at the same time (went to D-Jetro). Just out of interest, have someone monitor the AFM voltages when you get the shuffling. The shuffling can sometime be bads enough to cause air reversion in the AFMs.

If it the exhaust is glowing red hot, I'd almost bet money that the exhaust cam is a tooth out.