SAU Community

A/c Compressor

danny83

Hi Guys,

Just a quick query, I only really started noticing this lately as I use the A/C more. but when the Compressor kicks in there is a notable jolt in the car, and the cars performance is noticibly different and poorer. Now I am aware that the having the A/C on will have an effect, but how much of an effect?and should you feel the compressor clutch kicking in or not?

depending on the car, will depend on how much of a difference it makes. if your avatar is right, you have a rb20e powered car. you probably would notice the power drop. on my missus SSS pulsar (natro sr) you can notice it, and it feels duller. i'd say yours probably isn't much different.

it really depends on how much of a difference we are talking about. since the car is all stock you would still notice a difference as it would be draining about 10hp (guessing). so on a stock car that is about 7%. do some mods and get your power up and it will still drain the same amount of power, but the % is less.

if there is actually a problem it could be the bearings in the compressor, or the compressor could be stuffed.