SAU Community

After going through the list of cars on the J-Spec site, im just wondering after you pay the auction price and then pay the J-Spec fee, what is next ?

ive heard tyres, compliance.. and what else?

What would i be looking at for say an R34 GTT ?

thanks!

Well, you'll be looking at about 2-2.5K for compliance, then another 1.5-2k on tyres (depending on choice, but only an idiot would skimp on the most important safety feature that a car can get) 1-2k on insurance, 1-1.5k on rego and allow an extra grand or two as play money, just in case you want to fix something up or whatever.

Soa ll up about an extra 7 grand above the off the docks price.

awsome, thats the info i was after!

although rego looks expensive!? what happened to $500+ ?

thanks heaps!

Stamp duty.

Vic roads has a calculator to show you the rego cost. My 9K car cost me $1050 in rego

thanks heaps for that! i think i might look at getting a local car, just so i dont have to go through all of the fuss. I think it will make it easier finance wise too.

thanks for all the info, i hope this helped anyone else that needed this info.

ta

If you're after an R33, then local is OK, as there's a bucket load of them, but R32 and R34 I'd be importing (well, I did) simply because the conditions are better in Japan, they run on better fuel and better roads.

Plus, it's usually cheaper, but be prepared to look at literaly hundreds of cars. Be patient and prepared to spend about 6-8 months selecting and getting it delivered.

If you do import, the guys from J-spec are great, and are on his forum. Ask them some questions if you like. Or feel free to ask me.

Give us a call tomorrow after about 12ish and let whoever who answers the phone that you're off SAU and from melbourne, and they'll take you thru the whole thing.

Most of the J-Spec guys (well besides me now, since I live in Sydney) are from Melbourne, so we deal with VICRoads all the time helping local customers register their car if they're new to the process, and also registering our own cars.

If you want to know how much rego for your car will cost, use this calculator...

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/VRCALC...?OpenForm#calc3

As Richard said, you pay the registration costs regardless of whether you import or buy locally.

If you do import some of the costs that you have to allow for on top of compliance once the car's landed are new tyres, brake pads if the compliancer dosen't provide them (some compliancers change pads for free.. ie allow for a new set in their compliance costs, while others charge you extra on top, if your existing pads aren't acceptable) and any other items which you may need to get a roadworthy certificate (ie things like pod filters, loud exhausts etc changed back to stock).