SAU Community

Track Day Today At Mallala

Blue32

The Mitsubishi GSR EVO club hosted a track day today at Mallala and I thought it would be good for the us to get in on the next one with them. The day was run really well and I got plenty of track time. Next track day they run I'll post up the details and see if anyone is keen to take it to the EVO's.........Anyone got their times for Mallala?

$100 for entry (I already have cams licence) and no, the couldn't catch me when I was doing my hot laps - which unfortunantely was only 1 or 2 laps a session as I had cooling issues - after a hot lap the water temp was skyrocketing to 100+ degrees! Got a prob with the thermostat and radiator cap or something blocking the radiator. It shouldn't be getting that hot so quick - esp. since I have an big apexi radiator in it! The oil temp was staying around 80 degrees (engine and g/box cooler fitted) and it wasn't pinging at all (highest I saw on the PFC was 34 on the knock, plus I run a cocktail of Boost 98 and tolulene).Ah well - one hot lap per hour netted me a 1:22 on street rubber - with the car skateing all over the track! Through the doglegged back straight I was getting up to 215km/h and the car just 4 wheel drifts from the apex to the outside of the track........a few 'moments' were had let me tell you. Still the incar footage is cool!

Great Work to see a Tough GTR out on a track day at Mallala

I saw that Car out there and Hot laps were certainly Hot and the Cold Laps (slower ones) were even Hotter

Strange to see such a modified "street/Track" car overheating ???

Still a lazy 22's around the track semi slicks no over heating and actually pushind the car harder with a good

rythem imagine 21's20's

Nice one andrew

Qu : Doyou have split torque adjustment for the front wheels?

100C water temp on the track aint real bad, esp. since the oil temps were 80C, remember it's a pressurized system so 100C doesn't equal boiling.

Pretty sure the stock water-pump runs out of puff up high in the revs, that's what N1 items are for, but the trade-off is they don't like sitting in traffic.

I'd hit up the Vic section these quite a few serious track-whores over there, Team Wang Racing in particular, the yknow who they are. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words peoples! The car doesn't have any fancy torque split controller - and the ATS 1.5 way mech rear diff meant it was sliding around a lot! Ash - I was under the impression the R34 RB26 I have already has the N1 oil and water pumps??? Plus the temps I saw were quite a bit higher than 100deg - try 115deg plus by the 1 and a half lap mark hence the back off. Highest it got was 120 degrees...........Strange though it took ages to cool down again - like 4 or 5 laps and a drive out the front gate and back to see back around 100degrees........?? Something weird going on there!

With the oil temp the car runs ARC oil coolers and I don't expect to see much more than 80 - 90 degrees oil temp during a session. But I tell you what - it would be awesome to have a plethora of Skylines going at it around the track - the sound of the RB Symphony would be outstanding!!! Why not give it your all in a LEGAL environment with not a worry about defects and for less than the cost of doing on the street and being caught.........

I will be very keen to do the next track day. I would much prefer to do this with some fellow Skyliners. I was thinking of going in yesterday, but watching Bathurst was more important to me :) .

Nice work Blue32.

yep once I get my oil cooler, bigger trans cooler and new radiator fitted I'll come out for sure.

Last time I was out there in my S15 (stock suspension, crappy street tyres which actually went molten, running around 180rwkw) I was doing 1:30 or so. I got 3 or 4 good laps done before she heated up, and was still running the stock radiator with no oil cooler. Didn't take too long to cool down though luckily.

I dunno about R34 RB26's, sorry, and ok those temps do sound high.

If it's taking a long time to cool down too i'd be looking at something flow related like you said, thermostat not open properly, a kink in a hose, or the radiator simply not getting enough air.

If you're still running the clutch fan, and not thermos, is the original shroud on? Be suprised at the difference they make.

Yeah - confirmed that the r34 RB26 runs N1 oil+water pumps, running the standard clutch fan and shroud is on. I have had some advice that it is probably the thermostat so I will be replacing it this weekend and see how it goes (fingers crossed!)

The next track day the GSR EVO club is running is in March - if you guys want to register your interest with me I will pass on some initial numbers and get some spots reserved.

Yeah - confirmed that the r34 RB26 runs N1 oil+water pumps, running the standard clutch fan and shroud is on. I have had some advice that it is probably the thermostat so I will be replacing it this weekend and see how it goes (fingers crossed!)

The next track day the GSR EVO club is running is in March - if you guys want to register your interest with me I will pass on some initial numbers and get some spots reserved.

mmmmm, march is realistic for me!

Does anyone know what the deal is with insurance at the track? I know you're regular insurers won't touch you, but is there someone who does, or any arrangements if you do have a crash?

I'd looove to get the STI out there early next year...would sure as hell beat "enjoying" the lag driving to work every day!