SAU Community

Covert Speed Ops In The Hills

Oosh

An all time low for SAPOL. Why don't they follow the eastern states and use fixed cameras and promote slowing down _at the site_ rather than a fine in the mail a month later.

Makes me hope there was nothing like this on Eagle on the Hill when I went for a spin last weekend.

This is so ridiculous.

Heres some piucs of the cameras and other info

http://forums.rpmlounge.com.au/index.php?showtopic=675

I personally think it's a total joke! If you want people to stop speeding, MAKE SURE THEY KNOW THEY WILL GET CAUGHT IF THEY DO - then they wont speed in the first place. Hell, there is almost NOBODY stupid enough to speed past a camera that they KNOW is there!

Makes me angry. Is there ANY way we can take a stand on this? Get everyone together and stop them doing this? the worst part is:

“Police make no apologies for covert road safety operations involving concealed cameras in black

spot areas, because our aim is to take dangerous riders and drivers off our roads before they kill

or maim someone .”

Bastards.

Edited by Mike_

lads, I *heard* that they have had a camera out in the hills in a wheelie bin for a few years now.

plus the summer helicopter buzzing overhead in the hills

plus the unmarked blue BMW sports bikes

country cops are generally good - been visually no-no'ed a few times after overtaking manouvers & the slight increase in speed involved in such a procedure when riding, but never got fined - luckily.

edit: I should point out I never got pulled over, nor received a fine, when riding thru the Hills. Thats the only type of bike riding I did for 8yrs, stayed out of populated areas.

after every ride I used to stress tho for 4 weeks wondering whether "something" was in the mail.

I wont ride again - I think. :dry: although I maintain the safest place for a sports bike to be put thru its paces is in the Hills and NOT in the metro area.

Edited by Tangles

Petrol + Match is your friend, If you see the flash, its recorded and picked up next day, if its all crispy, no data for po po :dry:

niot that I condone this behavior, nor do I take responsibility for tripod cams thats have spontaniously combusted before :P

This really sucks, if you go past a camera everyday just a few kms over you could loose your licence before you even get a fine.

It aint going to slow anyone down till 4 weeks later when they have to save fuel to pay the fine.

Well I think this bit goes down as the most misinterpreted part:

Police have previously expressed concern at the number of motorcyclists killed on the state's roads - 19 have died so far this year, a 35 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2005.

Now this twit - like several others INCLUDING SAPOL - obviously has completely ignored the fact that there has suddenly been a massive increase in the number of motorcyclists on the roads in the last year due mainly to the whole petrol price issue.

Also most of the accidents that I have heard about have all been in METROPOLITAN areas, NOT hills country. Combine that with the 4 weeks till you know you're done and the fact that you could have been pinged several more times in between the occurrence of the 1st offence & when you get the letter for it, & it becomes BLATANT revenue rasing.

Petrol + Match is your friend, If you see the flash, its recorded and picked up next day, if its all crispy, no data for po po :)

id be surprised if it DOESNT happen.

someones bound to get fed up with it.

[quote name='Busky2k' date='13 Oct 2006, 12:13 PM' post='2579782'

Makes me hope there was nothing like this on Eagle on the Hill when I went for a spin last weekend.

i hope not either if they were up that way too it will mean a trip to court for me! i went for a spirited drive up to mount lofty late saturday night.

looks like a device which covers up our number plates that is activated by a switch in the cabin is in order! lol

^^ Yeah no shit. Have one of those 'private plates' or have them on a spring loaded hinge... go for a burn, put em back on when you're done. Ah that would be so nice but alas, back to the real world now....