SAU Community

Driving Simulator Cockpits

Rezz

On one end of the specrtum we've got the ultimate 'Gamers cockpit' www.gamerscockpit.com.au , made in Australia but almost *too* good imo... with a price to match! ;)

And on the other end we have the flimsy Hyperdrive chassis www.hyperdrive.com.au , which I think is flimsy to the point of actually ruining the gaming experience.

What are others using? I have a reclining sports seat ready to go, and a 19" widescreen LCD is on it's way (to go with my Core 2 Duo/Nvidia 7600 GT/2GB ram system), but I don't want to spend too much on something which I could almost make myself with a few bars of steel and a mig welder.

Any advice?

i have a monza racing seat mounted on a office chair base that i purchased from autobarn. i'd like to make a bracket coming of it to mount pedal and steering wheel, so it feels like a proper car. but im too lazy. i would love a cockpit.

If you want a simulator...

Actually I wanted a chassis to mount my seat and steering wheel as per thread title.

if you took your seat and everything else and a picture of some of the other ones on the market to a engineering workshop they would be able to make something up for you for a darn sight less than what the others are charging.

what game are you planning on playing with this setup?

GTR 2 mainly

I just want a sturdy frame to bolt the seat and wheel to, with a ledge for the LCD. Gamers Cockpit looks the goods, but they don't sell the bare frame, you've got to get the seat, LCD and wheel aswell.

GTR 2 mainly

I just want a sturdy frame to bolt the seat and wheel to, with a ledge for the LCD. Gamers Cockpit looks the goods, but they don't sell the bare frame, you've got to get the seat, LCD and wheel aswell.

On a side note Rezz, how are you finding GTR2? Do you think it is somewhat over realistic? Perhaps it is the type of wheel I am using (logitech Logitech Sidewinder Force Feedback). I am awaiting the delivery of my new Logitech G25 Wheel. I am hoping this will make more real to life rather than the twitchy type of feel I am getting now in simulation mode.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Pete

I have the gamerscockpit. Awesome piece of gear. The only real drawback is that it's a little cumbersome to keep adjusting the frame when you have a few people having a go. Makes you notice how smooth you need to be in order to be really fast, and you have so much more accel/brake and steering control. Granted, it's not cheap, but you deally do get what you pay for. Soon going to upgrade to a Logitech G25 wheel with a six speed gated shifter and a clutch pedal.

On a side note Rezz, how are you finding GTR2?

I won't install it until I get the chassis set up. Using keys would just make me hate the game...

I don't use a cockpit (space is the main concern), but have a great chair with 2 motion drivers for extra feedback, TrackIR for head motion simulation, Logitech Momo FF wheel and these GTR games follow on from the realism of the GP Legends game. There is no such thing as too realistic.

Yes Rezz, using the keys would suck. Borderline impossible.

As for too realistic Geoff, I should have been more clear. What I meant was eg. you can get swiped by another car mid chicane and end up spinning off in an unrecoverable spin, yet the other car just keeps going as if nothing happened. This to me is unrealistic as I have tried everything from opposite lock, full throttle, no throttle etc with no change to the outcome. Now I won't say that I am a Schumacher at the PC sim games, but I can honestly say I have had many, many years and more to the point hours and hours of gaming dating back to games like Grand Prix 1 and the legendary Grand Prix 2. Having said that I still find it difficult to understand how the game GTR2 can be so close to the real deal in every way but end up being a little disappointing in this aspect.

My 2 cents anyway

Pete

P.S. I too am looking at building my own simulator to be used in conjuntion with my 110" Projector Screen. I will have to elevate it somewhat to compensate for the height difference from my usual home theatre viewing.

Cheers

I bought this fully motorised turbo game chair for the grand kids to have some fun driving games or flying simulators. Yeah Riiiiight...

chair3.jpg

Went to my dentist a while back and noticed he had upgraded all his chairs. Asked what happened to the old ones? "Out the back, do you want one?" Did I ever, I have been looking for a similar type of games set up for ages so made a ridiculous offer of 200 for something he paid over 10 thousand for a few years ago. SOLD,- the deal of the decade!

Modified it immediately with a strong monitor arm to support the monitor and steering wheel setup. The pedals fitted perfectly in the right place and it is able to be pnumaticly adjusted in all directions with the touch of a switch bank.

Pulled the back padding assy off and mounted some Aura Interactor special effects speakers that vibrate the hell out of you when playing most games.

Pauline loves it, she would love to get on to it with an axe!!

Well can't win them all. :wave: