Commodore Recall

Al-R33

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yep, i would never get a series one commodore.

VS: leaking rear main seal due to shit molds and couldnt be fixed unles complete engine swap :S

VT: ooooh the piston slap and excessive oil consumption.

Have holden fixed the notorious powersteering leak that every f*kin comodore has?

you can really apply that method of thinking to most cars...

Most car companies have most of their glitches fixed when the second series is realised

Does anyone know what and how many faults R32-R34 skylines had when first released in Japan? If they recalled on a big scale Id be very surprised.

Does anyone know what and how many faults R32-R34 skylines had when first released in Japan? If they recalled on a big scale Id be very surprised.

i doubt it man i havnt heard of any recalls on skylines i think its just a ford and holden thing cheap caants lol

Edited by assyrian4evaa

Power steering leak, haha my dads VT series 2 has that. I swear the power steering in all commodores is just useless.

They must get them cheap somewhere.... Mechanic says you have a couple choices, Replace (it will leak again soon enough), Rebuild with better parts or finally, buy a better pump. Useless car, 93 model skyline vs 2001 commodore... commodore leaks, falls apart, and uses too much fuel for it's power level.

They aren't the worst cars, but if this new model is meant to take on the XR range... they'll be having fun "Our fuel leaks are less important then your manual gearbox issues mr Ford" haha!

So much for that "its been driven around australia and wer've ironed out all the bugs" which is what holden stated just prior to the launch...

Ford and Holden are on the path of self destruction lately, Its like they have no idea what is popular anymore..

Ive got a Berlina series 2 VT, it was made in the last month before the VX was released.

I got it for free, and i can not understand why people (who paid good money for them) think these things are good!!!

Ok, its got auto everything, nice big sunroof and comfy seats, and on a highway trip interstate its the best sort of car for the job, but the finish is shit, the panels dont line up, the auto gearbox is like a lottery - you'll never know what it will do next, the motor is based on a 50 y.o. design, it goes through brakes like my GTR goes through petrol, it handles like a supertanker, fuel consumption was no where near the engineers minds when they thought of the commodore motor, spare parts are WAY overpriced, little buttons get "sticky" when hardly used etc. The list goes on.

I originally thought the same thing, until I read the review.

Apparently their component supplier for the fuel neck filler gave them a run of parts that could potetentially tear. Since its a production issue from a third party, you can't pick up on it during development.

And a lot of S1 cars have issues. You can test and test on a few cars that you've carefully built for testing, but until you start actually producing them en masse and on a timeline you'll never find a lot of faults.

Being Australian and such a "make or break" car, we will hear everything about it (good or bad).

Edited by scathing

cough gtr oil surge cough meant to be superdooperracecar cough.

Deadset on a 1 billion dollar job someone has to make one mistake, fact is they found it, and are doing something about it. Unlike say hmmm a ford pinto!

Just really annoys me how many of you are so quick to jump on it. Really, think how many Aussies wouldnt have job if these cars werent being made here.

p.s. power steering leak is fugn common as in skylines also...

That is so true half of my R32s skyline i have imported all had some sort of power steering leaks !! but they are 10 year old + cars so you would expect that sort of thing happening.

But Skyline are still very well built in my personnel opinion.

I think you can't give all the blame to the component manufacturer, all the little guys are getting squeezed by the big companys.

Sure they should produce good quality products but Holdens quality control should have picked it up a lot sooner than it has. I have worked in manufacturing companies and they routinely pulled random products from the production line and did a complete check on them from top to bottom just to ensure that all the other component quality control measures were working effectively.

If the big companys didn't try to run the component manufacturers into the ground then the quality would be better - you get what you pay for!

Subcontracting out is the easy way to reduce costs because you can force the supplier to bend over backwards once he's dependent on your business. Thats why they had to bailout Ajax fasteners, you just can't keep squeezing because sooner or later the component manufacturer's dependence on you is pushed to the limit and you become the one whose dependency is now a weakness.

It happens with companies like Woolworths too, they subcontract out all their transport because they can put the squeeze on the truckies, there is no way the distribution workers unions would let woolworths employees work under the conditions that those truckies work under.