SAU Community

Screamer Pipe

4AL2NV

Hi i was just wondering what the difference is between a dump pipe from the turbo to the cat and a screamer pipe? what are the advantages and disadvantages of both from stock and also what is required for both? THank you.

A stock dump pipe flows the spent exhaust gases from the turbo and wastegate through the exhaust system (cat, resonator, muffler etc), the screamer pipe directly vents gases from the wastegate into the atmosphere. I'm guessing you have stock internal gate turbo, so you can have a screamer pipe but it requires a partition between turbine wheel housing and the wastegate for seperate dump and screamer.

Advantages of a screamer pipe: THEY'RE FUGGIN COOL!! and get they the attention of everyone when the wastegate cracks open at full boost, they also reduce turbulence and backpressure in exhaust system.

Disads: Illegal, very loud

Explaination of the setup is in the above post... so here is a bit more.

For a stock turbo or otherwise internally gated, pointless.

Only really useful when using a properly setup external gate arrangement.

On a stock or near stock turbo they sound dreadful as the internal gates are tiny, and it simply (performance based) doesnt offer a gain as there isnt enough flow coming out of the turbo that a normal internally turbo with a good flowing 3" exhaust cant handle.

If you do have a larger (int gated) turbo, and you are having issues with boost control, then the cause is the turbo itself... and it should be fixed there, not with an ext gate/screamer

So far in my car i have these mods:

apexi power fc

3 inch exhaust cat back

front mount

z32 airflow meter with apexi pod

12psi

do you reckon it would be worth putting a dump pipe on for now until i get a bigger turbo to put a screamer pipe?

Also what power gains am i looking at if i put a dump pipe?

Also if i put a bigger turbo would a screamer pipe get good power compared to a dump?

Also SINISTA are you running that off a stock turbo?

Edited by 4AL2NV

Why are you running a Z32 on a stock turbo'd car...

Dump pipe is quite important.

Dont both with a screamer/ext venting pipe dude, its pointless, if you read my post... apply that to the "bigger turbo" scenario and you'll have your answer

Has anyone got a before and after video or sound clip of a 3inch dump/front pipe fitted to an RB25DET?

Would be an awesome example if anyone has one.Also views on it performance.

i had a screamer pipe on a stocko turbo on a 20 in one of my old cars, it actually hindered performance but sounded tuff as (ie like it had an external gate with screamer pipe). it was a hks item :) . screamer pipes make your car sound 10 times as loud at full boost, i swear i came every time it hit full boost :D

i had a screamer pipe on a stocko turbo on a 20 in one of my old cars, it actually hindered performance but sounded tuff as (ie like it had an external gate with screamer pipe). it was a hks item :) . screamer pipes make your car sound 10 times as loud at full boost, i swear i came every time it hit full boost :D

How did it hinder performance?

i had a screamer pipe on a stocko turbo on a 20 in one of my old cars, it actually hindered performance but sounded tuff as (ie like it had an external gate with screamer pipe). it was a hks item :O . screamer pipes make your car sound 10 times as loud at full boost, i swear i came every time it hit full boost :(

This is very true how it sounds and performs is directly related to who its been made by and how much development has been put into it and not wether it is an internal or external.