SAU Community

Was He The Greatest?

Leewah

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not cheating

motorsport has always been about finding the limit of the laws.

its all well and good for everyone to rubbish MS on an anonymous forum but i bet if you were face to face with him, you'd grovel for an autograph

its not cheating

motorsport has always been about finding the limit of the laws.

its all well and good for everyone to rubbish MS on an anonymous forum but i bet if you were face to face with him, you'd grovel for an autograph

^^^^^^

what he said

The present dominating world champion.

SIF!

I am a McLaren fan and I KNOW Alonso will suffer all the mechanical shit Kimi has gone through the past few years.

I predict a best position of 3rd for Alonso next season.

The 3 fastest manufacturers are McLaren, Ferrari and Renault.

Count in reliability and you only have 2 manufacturers that can win the whole thing - Ferrari and Renault.

Renault has no talent like Kimi.

Therefore, I predict Kimi to win the whole thing next year. He's been yearning for a reliable car and Ferrari will give him one.

werd....

I expect Massa to continue well, going by this mornings performance

whether it was the home crowd, or alonso granny shifitng, he has a promsing futre ahead of him

bring on F1 '07. cant wait to see kimi rape everyone in the ferrari

kimi has moments of brilliance, but at the rate Massa is improving, i feel that Kimi may play second fiddle to Fellipe Massa next year at Ferrari.

In any case, no matter what anyone says, post schumacher Formula One will be a different place.

Also i agree with Wink, Alonso will struggle if he finds himself with mechanical woes. His attitude toward Renualt wasnt so good and they were bulletproof all year! Can you imagine how he will react to Mclaren once he has a few engine failures. he shouldve stuck with Renault or attempted to get the Ferrari drive.

werd....

I expect Massa to continue well, going by this mornings performance

whether it was the home crowd, or alonso granny shifitng, he has a promsing futre ahead of him

bring on F1 '07. cant wait to see kimi rape everyone in the ferrari

Whoes Kimi ?? is he a upcoming talent ?

I was reading sunday mail that Michael may make a come back to F1 what does everyone think of the chance of this happening ??

Edited by MFC05

On that note, doesn't granny shifting kill those engines? I remember one of the ITV guys saying once that if you upshift at too low of a RPM level, you can break the engine.

Kimi = Kimi Raikkonen

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past 4-5 years you should know who he is if you follow F1!

it seemed as tho alonso was happy to just put around

but still putting around at 280kmh....lol

schumacher was a good 10 kmh faster than everyone else

if he hadnt of had a puncture, it would have been fun to see him racing against massa....

you cannot compare drivers of different eras bysaying shummi was the greatest ever . Yes he was a brilliant driver but trying to compare him to senna or nyone else from a previous era of the f1 world is way off because of the technological advances in the machines they drove (traction control)et al

id like to see schumi in the great turbo era of F1

now that would really show some skill.....

i heard at one stage they were pulling in excess of 700kw.....

saw it in a mag somewhere.....

There is no answer to this question... but the closest you can get is

Statistically Yes

Sentimentally No

that about sums it up... different drivers, from different era's, with differnt machinary cant be compared

My vote is for Senna anyway, the guy was unbelieveable... if you ever get the chance to see a video of him racing i strongly urge that you watch it before giving an opinion on who is the greatest.

id like to see schumi in the great turbo era of F1

now that would really show some skill.....

i heard at one stage they were pulling in excess of 700kw.....

saw it in a mag somewhere.....

Before the change to V8s, the V10s were putting out that power too.

I have no doubt that after a few years manufacturers will manage to get those figures from the V8s, same as they did with their NA engines after they banned turbos.

he stil is a great driver. last night's performance shows he is still the class of the feild. from 19th and last up to 4th and setting the fastest lap on the final lap is an amazing effort.

how many people know that in his first F1 race in 1991, Schuey filled in for a Jordan driver who had being imprisoned for assault, and managed to qualify the brand new Jordan (the team formed that year) 7th on the grid on a track he had never raced on before? Benneton were so impressed he had a contract with them before the next race!

some more of his early F1 history that many might not know or have forgotten...

In 92, his first full F1 season he finished 3rd in the Drivers Chamionship!

in 1994 when the FIA banned electronic drivers aids, Schumacher took an early lead in the championship over Senna and was 20 points clear of him on that fateful day at Imola.

in 94 and 95 he won the drivers championships with Benneton. During these years he scored 80% of Benneton's constructors points.

when he went to Ferrari in 96, the team was a laughing stock, particularly for their dishevelled and disorganised pitstops. Recent Ferari drivers had called the cars "cops" and said it "drove like a truck". They had won just 2 races in the previous 5 years!

After Schumacher left, Benetton only won 1 single race in the next five years!

and after 15 years in F1, he is still the class of the feild.

There is a distinct difference between the "most successful" & "greatest".

When you consider the achievments of some others, for example:

Jacky Stewart:

Three World Championships.

Completely revolutionised the sport in terms of safety. Many GP drivers owe their lives to the deeply unfashionable stance that Stewart took in the early 70's.

Jack Brabham.

Three World championships, including one in a car bearing his own name and with an Australian built engine.

Pierless integrity.

Niki Lauda.

Three world championships.

Astonishing bravery in coming back from a terrible accident in Germany.

Astonishing integrity in withdrawing from the 76 Japanese GP on safety grounds when the championship was on the line & rejecting Ferraris offers to make excuses about the car breaking.

Damon Hill.

World Champion.

Led Williams in the wake of the trauma induced from Sennas death. Just like his old man did with Lotus after the demise of Jim Clark.

If you want to measure greatness, you may want to think about those blokes achievements before talking about Schumacher....

Also, like ctjet says. Take a look at the old in car footage of the turbo cars (there will be some on you tube somewhere). Those cars had to be DRIVEN....

Personally I believe Senna to be the better driver BUT like all who pass before their time, his skills have been exaggerated since his demise.