SAU Community

My Restoration

Thanks Geoff :blink: Like you said there are so many different ways it can be tackled.

Going into work tomorrow morning with everything to give it all a blast out and dry off before wrapping it all up in plastic film to bring home. From there i'll unwrap the parts as i need them and assemble it all. I used silicone on the oil pump last time, but even though i only used a smear it still over lapped the oil gallery hole slightly. Im thinking maybe to use a gasket but would prefer it if i didnt have to. If you use a gasket do you really just rely on the gasket doing all the sealing or do you still use a tiny bit of silicone? Looking for some input on which method to use.

Thanks everyone,

Deren

Deren, my preferred method is to use just a very thin film of blue gasket eliminator, so that it is not quite see through with no excess on the edges. I then take it up to firmly attached with the bolts, wait a while then put full bolt tension on.

Over the last couple of weeks i have throughly cleaned out and re-assembled the bottom end. As instructed, i used only WD40 in the bores and a smear of oil on the piston skirts. Im told this creates a very quick effiecent bed in of the rings instead of the first few cyles glazing over the oil. Anyway the whole bottom end is turning over very sweetly and im now satisfied i've done everything i can to provide me with many years of reliable, big power. After i torqued down the mains and big ends i fitted a new genuine water pump for reliable street and track use. I also refitted the crank baffle plates to the crank girdle.

Im about to order a Tomei sump baffle, Nismo engine mounts, and Cusco strut tops. While im waiting for the bits i will fit new bearings to the front diff and later fit the Tomei baffle and bolt up the sump. Im also currently ordering a Cometic metal head gasket, so once that arrives i can torque down the head.

Heres some more pics.

post-14108-1190450561_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1190450637_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1190450762_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1190450839_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone. Small update. I've opted for a N1 oil pump as i can get a new one at a great price :down: Apparently not a huge benefit over stock apart from uprated flow and consequently pressure. So if anyone wants my stock RB26 oil pump feel free to take it off my hands!

Last night i made an order on Nengun for a Tomei sump baffle, Tomei metal head gasket and combination gaskets and Cusco pillowball front shocky upper mounts. I also ordered a new thermostat and oil pump gasket from nissan. So, slowly but surely i will get there!

Deren

Edited by Godzilla32

Deren you need some kids dude. That'd fix all these too-much-cash problems you've been having. Two is a good number to keep your bank balance nice and low. :)

PS Dude I'm moving to Forest Lake at the end of the year. Is that anywhere near you? I still want to see your beast in the flesh. :blink:

Deren you need some kids dude. That'd fix all these too-much-cash problems you've been having. Two is a good number to keep your bank balance nice and low. :worship:

PS Dude I'm moving to Forest Lake at the end of the year. Is that anywhere near you? I still want to see your beast in the flesh. :(

Hey mate, Im an apprentice mechanic so i can assure you i do not have too much cash lol. I just spend every cent i earn on the car! In 6 weeks i'll have a baby boy :) I've heard the name forest lake but im not sure where it is. Be good to catch up!

Awesome work mate!!! Great to see you're restoring it to relatively stock performance. Cant wait to see it totally finished. It'll be a one of a kind 32 thats for sure.

I had planned to restore it to relative stock. However it'll now be good for upto 700hp. I have spent alot of cash on the bottom end. The rest of it has been quite well worked too. I have listed it all out a few times.

Deren

BTW n1 oil pump is less flow than stock not more - it is designed to lessen flow to the head at sustained high revs, the standard (and even the n1 pump to some extent) pumps too much oil to the head at high revs (thus all the oil control mods on built engines like external returns, restrictors on feeds and opening up oil returns.)

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting on parts from Japan. Once they arrive i will bolt on and torque the head, bolt on the sump with the new tomei baffle fitted. Im having my throttle bodies re-done with oversize butterflies for a zero air leak, ultra low idle ;) Wont that be nice. Never screw around with GTR throttle bodies!! They will only ever cause you a headache after, trust me! Its not a cheap excersize to have them all recut either when there is six! Anyway i'll pick them up once they're done and i can afford them :( Then i've only gotta save up some more for my new Garrett's...and everything else :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, just a quick update. I have been fitting a few bits and pieces over the last few days. Fitted my original oil pump as im told the N1 pumps are layered which leaves them more prone to cracking than the original item. The rest of the stuff i have been fiddling around with is just small things like the oil filter/heat exchanger housing, fitted a new genuine thermostat under a nicely polished housing, refitted the rear turbo oil return, etc.

The package from Japan should arrive this coming week so from there it'll be full steam ahead! :laugh:

Here are some new pics.

Deren

post-14108-1192882717_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1192882809_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1192882883_thumb.jpg

Hey all i have fitted up the heat exchanger and some of the heater/vacuum hose galleries its all pretty highly polished but the flash doesnt really do it justice. My order from Japan has been shipped now so it shouldnt be too much longer till it arrives..

Deren

post-14108-1193316248_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1193316428_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1193316576_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1193316652_thumb.jpg

Hey mate

This has come a LONG way since my last post :P

Did you end up getting the new trim parts from nissan? Im about to do the interior on mine, the rear quarter surrounds are looking fairly average, and the handbrake is a bit more "used" than id like

yeah i was thinking about buying a new handbrake too.

I bought a brand new r34 gtt one when I did the stagea manual conversion and it looks great (and not too pricey). wonder if they have r32 ones still in stock

/goes off to order one before either of you....