SAU Community

My Restoration

Ok. Thing is, its all still shimmed as it was before and nothing much has changed, just all new seals and bearings. Will it need to be re-shimmed? I was hoping just to check the teeth contact areas and if they were still ok to put it back together like that. Another thing, I didnt mark the pinion companion flange before removing it from the pinion shaft. Later i realised i should have, however it doesnt mention to do that in the manual and it normally would if at all necessary. Do you think it needs to be in a special way? Its not a master spline so there is many different ways it can be put it. What do i do?

Im getting a pair of Garrett 707160-5005 turbos this week coming! That will be exciting. This weekend i purchased a 2nd hand Trust oil cooler and filter relocator locally in Brisbane off 17SOK. Thanks to him for that. I need some help with the proper mounting of the core. Im not sure where exactly its meant to go behind the right hand duct. Ive got one friend getting me pics but if anyone else has one setup like that id appreciate a few more pics.

Deren

post-14108-1200793616_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Turbos should have arrived by now?

I like reading the updates in this thread ;)

Hey mate!

Turbos arrived a couple of days ago. I ended up buying them off Chris Whittaker at MTQ Salibury here in Brisbane. I throughly recommend giving him a call if you need to purchase some new turbos as he was excellent to deal with and gave me by far the cheapest price! :(

I have added some new pics of the turbos including new vs old. Shows the difference quite well.

Before i fit the new turbos i will need to save up (now broke) for the stainless CES long front/dump pipes i have had my eye on :D As i will need to fit the first section to the back of the turbines before mounting them to the manifolds etc. Not much has been done to my GTR as i have been getting my daily (shitter) ready for the road. Its a 87 mitsubishi magna TN. Its hard to believe that these two cars were designed in the same era! I guess one being worth over 100 grand and the other being a run of the mill family car would have something to do with it. Since i took the GTR off the road (2+ years) i have had no car to drive so it will be nice to have a car to run around in!

Deren

post-14108-1201865777_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1201865826_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1201865868_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1201865897_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1201866036_thumb.jpg

Edited by Godzilla32

Good news on the daily driver!

Now that your GTR doesnt have to be daily driven though, you may find yourself thinking of other things you can do to it :)

What are those CES pipes worth roughly?

wow, sure those turbo's are going to pack some serious horse power! have to come around n have a geez soon. can't wait to see this thing fly! speak soon deren, cheers, hame

Im getting a pair of Garrett 707160-5005 turbos this week coming! That will be exciting. This weekend i purchased a 2nd hand Trust oil cooler and filter relocator locally in Brisbane off 17SOK. Thanks to him for that. I need some help with the proper mounting of the core. Im not sure where exactly its meant to go behind the right hand duct. Ive got one friend getting me pics but if anyone else has one setup like that id appreciate a few more pics.

Deren

the 2 mounts on the left are using existing threads on the body

oilcoolerventinstallation13.jpg

this mount goes to a hole behind the radiator overflow bottle u will need a screw, nut and washers.

oilcoolerventinstallation14.jpg

mounted oil cooler.

oilcoolerventinstallation17.jpg

cut hole for vent.

oilcoolerventinstallation4.jpg

vent siliconed and rivited in place. though self tapping screws would be better as the rivets will stretch the plastic.

oilcoolerventinstallation18.jpg

i made a duct out of template plastic. when finished make sure you cut at least 1-2cm back from the oil cooler. you

dont want it rubbing on it. i also used race tape to connect and hold either end. but the basic box is held together with self tappers.

oilcoolerduct2.jpg

underneath.

oilcoolerduct.jpg

through front bar.

oilcoolerduct3.jpg

Looking good Deren.

Have you thought of getting stainless manifolds and dumps?

There are horror stories about poor quality stuff but I bought the dumps from Ebay and did a little work to get them as I wanted (some finishing with the die grinder to get the transitions smoothed nicely and dress some welds), and the manifolds I got from a forum member cheap as they needed to be skimmed flat. Almost 18 months making 320rwkw with no dramas at all. No cracks or leaks. Most problems are with one piece single manifolds warping but less chance with 2 piece for twins.

The big difference has been the extra power came easy. Same boost, 14psi, and an extra 70rwkw using highflows. The boost comes on much faster as well. Soon to retune to 18 or 20 psi to see how it will go.