SAU Community

My Restoration

Hey there Geoff :D How did he manage to stuff the syncros doing a tune? Or was this during a drive?

You want me to rebuild it for you?? I could take a look at it if thats what u mean. Always up for extra cash.

how much do you want to do it? just a curiosity as im lining up stuff for when my engine is out

...What capacity engine stand do I need for the engine and accessories? and what size crane for the lot?

Edited by Keeper

I would have to work out labour time and get back to you. On top of that will be the cost of a rebuild kit which includes essentials like new bearings and seals. If there is any damage in the box extra parts will be required so additional costs would arrise. A rebuild kit will be around $400 plus the labour. I'd say at a guess i'd probably like about $1000 for the labour. Have to see though.

As for the engine removal, i'd remove the box first from below then crane the engine out as its hard to get enough angle to pull both out thru the top on them. Im using a fairly cheap stand from autobarn capable of supporting 500kg.

On another note i couriered the parts to be chromed today to a place in salisbury called The Name Plate Group. He can chrome cast alloy so im looking forward to seeing the results.

More soon,

Deren

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thought i better make an update as its been awhile. I havent been able to do much since im lacking necessary funds :) Seems i have run myself into financial difficulties lately. Ohwell just means i have to be even more tight until i can pay off debts and get back into the clear ;)

I received a pair of the group buy leather gear shift and hand brake boots today. For $55 bucks it was worth it. They got fitted to the console and look pretty good. The parts are still over at the chrome platers. For $300 the plenum, twin turbo pipe, and the compression pipe off the rear turbo got polished and for $140 they will all get a layer of shiney chrome. As you can see the expense is in the polishing itself, with that fiddly plenum being the more expensive bit. At this stage im not sure when i'll be able to afford to pick them up, but it will be my next job.

Over the weekend i have become hooked on the idea of using NIStune hardware and software to tune my GTR. For the price and power of the system i can't say no. It will do anything and everything anyone could ever want and more lol. I plan to do some of the tuning myself and get familiar with it. Another piece of gear i will most likely buy will be ECUTalk Consult LCD screen. Its also very useful for keeping an eye on everything while using all original equipment. If you havent seen either of these products i would highly recommend a look:

www.NIStune.com

www.ecutalk.com/consultlcd.aspx

Dangerous territory with the tuning mate. Or so others will have you believe. Just get a good wideband O2 unit and you should be fine. I have 2 of the Innovate ones. A basic laptop hookup and another with a handheld output to ensure the laptop is correct. Self calibrating in free air and only $300-500 depending on which you buy. Cheaper than most tunes.......

Of courser I run mine through the FCDatalogit for PFC. Black box edition so it runs on all PFCs.

Hey Geoff, how are ya?

I figured since im only working on top of the stock tune with NIStune i can't go too wrong. Especially if im only doing light load tuning etc. See how i go i guess. Just keep an eye on the Knock levels and AFR's..

My boss just bought a fancy new wide band O2 sensor system so i'll 'borrow' that till i get my own.

I dont believe you can beat the NIStune system now that i have really looked into it. I will also be able to use it to map my boost curve which will utilise the stock boost control solenoid :dry: Meaning no need for an EBC = saving money. Does an EBC like the AVC-R actually let you manually map a boost curve? Last time i installed one and set it up i can only remember setting max boost and the option to set boost for different gears. It would be my other alternative if i did go for an EBC.

Deren

Borrow the work tools FTW mate :D

Not too many EBCs will allow boost curve programming,although I'm no expert there as I have the Jaycar boost controller to use which can perform that function. I recall it maps off the duty cycle or such but I have to re-read the instructions as I haven't completed the build yet. Really looking forward to seeing some nistune examples though so I can see if I can port my tunes into it from the PFC. Then I can say "But It's Stock Officer :down:" even as he pulls the kick panel out.

What controlled boost id good for though is traction control. If you have problems with controlling power out of certain corners on a track (or the street) due to turbo response you can reduce the boost/power to maintain a smooth power delivery.

Most dyno tunes though are just pure power runs at WOT so they want the boost as fast as they can get it to ramp power. Then of course most average drivers can't get the concept of limiting power by means other than the throttle so don't see the need to play with tuning during regular driving, so unless there is a problem that really highlights itself they won't see a need to get a road tune done.

Of course after road tuning for driveability they are completely converted but you have to demonstrate that first.

Good for economy too. Without a good economical tune for low load, fuel consumption would suck...Literally :P

Mark Jaconsen around the corner from me seemed interested in NIStune today when i had a chat with him. He said if i wanted we could tune the car together using NIStune on his 4WD dyno and as it would be his first time using NIStune he would do it cheaper and use it as a experience gaining session with the different software/system. So im thinking to take the car there once im ready to start it and run it in on the dyno..

Deren

Edited by Godzilla32

i have the cable and nissan fast software, good fun, also use http://www.techdiag.co.uk/obdscantech/web/pg002.html this one it has a balance test and couple other nicks and tricks

this nistune looks good, looks a way for me to keep the usage of consult with $300 cost for hardware before the tune as opposed to $1000+ for most

what have you done to avoid corrosion etc while awaiting for the engine to go back in and run?

Edited by Keeper

I coated as many parts as I could find in thread locker but I think Deren has washed that off :P

Deren that will be a great way to get experience with Nistune. An experienced tuner will always get you pointed in the right direction faster. My nephew is working at Signature out here now. I got him in there to start getting his trade and he loves it and Mick is now getting him to learn the tuning biz. Not a bad head start at 17yo. He was working for me doing plenty of odd jobs and all the car maintenance and modifications but needed to get a start on the apprenticeship proper. Now he is fully into custom mods and such as well. More than he would see at my house.

Point me some details on where to get it so I can give it a try as well.

I've just sprayed the cylinders with some WD40, nothing else.

The NIStune software and license is $200, and the chip/daughter board is $200. If you go to NIStune.com all the details are there.

Im away doing a cylinder head job this weekend. All going well so far :D

Deren

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow due to lack of funds lately. Getting back on track slowly now though. IN the next week or 2 i will get the chrome plated parts back and post of picks before and after fitment. Next to come is the external oil return and parts necessary from Earl's perfomance plumbing. All up its only $160 including delivery. Not too bad. Then i'll be saving for all the new Samco silicone hoses and a injecter flush and flow check. Any thorough places you guys can suggest in brissy? I have a few places in mind but want a quality job done.

Deren

• 2 weeks later...
Progress has been slow due to lack of funds lately. Getting back on track slowly now though. IN the next week or 2 i will get the chrome plated parts back and post of picks before and after fitment. Next to come is the external oil return and parts necessary from Earl's perfomance plumbing. All up its only $160 including delivery. Not too bad. Then i'll be saving for all the new Samco silicone hoses and a injecter flush and flow check. Any thorough places you guys can suggest in brissy? I have a few places in mind but want a quality job done.

Deren

you going to run an oil line back down to the bottom?

i dont plan on to much track use so i was thinking of fitting a crank collar for the pump, putting a 1.5mm restrictor in and just drilling out the return lines more.

Yeah for what its worth the external oil return is a popular mod for peace of mind. It returns the oil to the deep end of the sump near the pickup rather than at the back, where under extreme acceleration g forces, the oil will struggle to return to the deep end. The result is obviously oil starvation :bunny:

Good mod for any modified RB. If you read through my thread you will find a list of all the oil control mods ive done as suggested by lots of people including SK.

Deren

Yeah for what its worth the external oil return is a popular mod for peace of mind. It returns the oil to the deep end of the sump near the pickup rather than at the back, where under extreme acceleration g forces, the oil will struggle to return to the deep end. The result is obviously oil starvation :)

Good mod for any modified RB. If you read through my thread you will find a list of all the oil control mods ive done as suggested by lots of people including SK.

Deren

could you pm me a link to the kit you are going to use please?

thanks

dave :D

• 2 weeks later...

I received a pair of the group buy leather gear shift and hand brake boots today. For $55 bucks it was worth it. They got fitted to the console and look pretty good.

Hey Deren,

Just wondering where did you get leather gear from as mine are pretty bad and needs to be replaced. :(

Buy the way I have been following your thread for while now and I must say you are from planet GTR you are not for real good on ya.

Oh and don't ever add up or think about the money you've invested in as your GTR is trully a masterpiece one of a kind :D

Cheers

Dave

Hey Dave, i got mine thru a group buy. Check in the group buy section if they are still available. If not i may consider selling mine as something else has come up.

Ok finally I have a bit of an update. Recently i have come into some money!

So i will be getting my chromed parts back very soon. On top of that i have ordered a full set of Samco silicone blue hoses. This includes heater hoses, radiator hoses and all vacuum tubing. Also ordered the Earl's plumbing required for my external oil return.

I have booked a tow for the car to send it back to the body shop. As there are a few things i want to get sorted before i put my beloved RB26 back in its home, and everything else (lots) thats still in my car parts room! So i put the car back on its wheels for the first time in about 18 months! It was exciting so i can't imagine how overwhelming it will be to fire it into life, not to mention drive the damn thing :P However it wasnt without a few hiccups as the Cusco front shock pillowball mounts need some fettling. I left out a spacer thinking it wasnt necessary but without it the shocks arent properly fitted. For now it will be ok but when i get a chance on its return i will take a look.

I will post pics as they are available.

Deren

Hey Deren i havn't checked your thread for a while good to see things are going well, hows the little one? I also thought you were going to stick with the stockish look, but hey i love the car all the same! cant wait to see it on the road for the fist time, there is a lot of time money and effort in here. never get rid of it. hame

Yeah it was originally my intention but then i went crazy with the performance mods. I want it all to stand out and look pretty hardcore now. Nothing much about the car is factory anymore. Its all very obvious its all been gone over meticulously anyway. So all the chrome, bright blue samco hoses, and shiney earls plumbing just add to making it an interesting engine bay. We all know how dull they can look factory! Its a engineering masterpiece so i want to give it the look to match! ;)

Im actually down visiting my boy this weekend as i type. He's great :) He'll be 1 year old in October. Really developing a personality now and lots of fun!

Deren