SAU Community

My Restoration

I spent about 2 hours fitting up the plenum etc this afternoon only to realise whilst i was packing up that i had forgotten to put in the last 3 throttle body gaskets between the TB's and the plenum! DOH.. So when i feel motivated i will undo it all and slip them in :ermm:

hehehehe....gold!

man your car is gonna look mint when its done!!! are you going to drive it at all? or are you going to sell it to a collector?

Mr forgetful :) Yeh i'll be driving it on weekends and track days, etc. Plan to show it too. Won't ever be sold! I've spent way too much cash on it to ever think about selling the thing.

I guess i have more motivation than i thought cuz ive already redone the plenum. With gaskets this time! ;)

Deren

lol yeah I can see where you're coming from :) I'm still gunshy even after oil changes - since I botched a remote filter install on the GTR and dumped 5L all over the garage floor in maybe 5 seconds. Er, oops...! God bless rental properties :(

Haha yeh, there should be one of those silly shows called 'When working on cars goes bad' lol. You should see my rental property! Its had a GTR fully rebuilt in house...Literally :P I have some work to do if i ever want to see my bond again hehe.

youve done an incredible job so far mate.. glad to see you still motivated and not bodging things to get it done. also its good to see that your keeping it original and classy.. no candy apple reds on 20's and slammed and trailered to shows.

ive always wanted to do a ground up, especially a gtr, but id hate to get halfway through it and have something happen or run out of cash.. so i stay away.. probs could have had it done by now if id started in my apprenticeship, god knows ive spent 3 times what i would have on buying and modding running cars anyway.

keep it up.

Linton

Thanks mate i appreciate your feedback.

I have actually gotten more particular with it as its progressed. It started out as a respray and has turned into a full on nut and bolt build. Well i can go as far to say nut, bolt and clip build :cheers: Its been a very involved journey over the last 3 years and counting.

I prefer the subtle enhancements, keeping it looking clean. I think they are a very nice looking car from factory so i didnt think it was worth messing with too much as far as exterior looks are concerned.

Engine is hopefully going back in next weekend. Pics to come :)

Deren

Yeah lucky about the blue sky hey! In melbourne i dont think it'll get out much lol

even better then blue sky is if its rained the day before,

when the roads are not only dry but clean (no dust or grime) thats when id take her out, keep her pristine

Thanks mate i appreciate your feedback.

I have actually gotten more particular with it as its progressed. It started out as a respray and has turned into a full on nut and bolt build. Well i can go as far to say nut, bolt and clip build :) Its been a very involved journey over the last 3 years and counting.

I prefer the subtle enhancements, keeping it looking clean. I think they are a very nice looking car from factory so i didnt think it was worth messing with too much as far as exterior looks are concerned.

Engine is hopefully going back in next weekend. Pics to come ;)

Deren

Deren

That's what happened with mine. Well almost. I started mine, then I started watching Overhaulin and American Hot Rod on Foxtel...it's at that point that I started to go nuts on all the detail, including a new model designation, full dynamat and super clean finish on everything! If I had the chance again, the body would have been soda blasted first and started from scratch unlike how it was done. But hey, there's always the next project...which I'm currently looking into, along with a plan on how to go about asking the Financial Controller (my sweet wife ;).

Cheers

Brendan

• 4 weeks later...

I apologise for the lack of updates lately. I havent had alot to add to be honest as ive been pretty much out of cash for awhile. On top of that i have been waiting to hear back about a couple of things which are halting progress. However i am on holidays currently so i have more time to organise everything at the moment.

This coming week will hopefully see me put the engine back in finally.

Updates to come :)

Deren

I apologise for the lack of updates lately. I havent had alot to add to be honest as ive been pretty much out of cash for awhile. On top of that i have been waiting to hear back about a couple of things which are halting progress. However i am on holidays currently so i have more time to organise everything at the moment.

This coming week will hopefully see me put the engine back in finally.

Updates to come :)

Deren

take your time bro in the end it will be more the sweeter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, once again sorry for the lack of updates lately! I've been lazy and not done much to the car so there hasnt been much to write.

However just this afternoon i am happy to say i have purchased some personalised plates for it!

I was amazed to find the plates TUNED-6 were still available so i snapped them up. I'll post some pics when they arrive :)

Hey Deren,

I haven't read this in a while, was just curious what ECU you have ended up going with? A while back you were talking of NIStune, I am getting mine done as I type this which is why I ask.

Hey mate, still planning on getting a NIStune Board. Im also going to get a consult LCD screen. They are nice. Good place to plug in the laptop for tuning too.

Well my ECU came back today with consult cable for my car laptop. Installed all the software (NIStune and Datascan) tonight and plugged into the car to have a look see...

AWESOME!! you can check AFR, TPS, injector duty, timing, etc, plus you can do diagnostics like cut out one cylinder at a time to check for faults, and you can do speed traps! 0-60, 0-100 etc, I can't wait to get it tuned next Friday!

You will not be disapointed!

good luck with the rest of the build mate.

OK plates are pretty cool and i now have a pic of one. I just posted a thread about the spring action clamps i need for my vacuum tubing. Can anyone help? If i cant get them soon i will resort to using a clamp from Wurth. Its not as nice to look at but will do the job well. I just liked how the yellow chromate looked against the blue silicone tubing haha :nyaanyaa:

More soon,

Deren

post-14108-1229417832_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1229417938_thumb.jpg