SAU Community

My Restoration

sorry I haven't tested them back to back so I can't say. My feeling is they will be better than a short dump due to the longer seperate wastegate link.

But how much better? 1%? 5%?

The race car's motor is in and out too often to want something that is going to make the job slower. Last time the motor came it was 3 hours from start to engine stant.

sorry I haven't tested them back to back so I can't say. My feeling is they will be better than a short dump due to the longer seperate wastegate link.

But how much better? 1%? 5%?

The race car's motor is in and out too often to want something that is going to make the job slower. Last time the motor came it was 3 hours from start to engine stant.

Interesting, once again thanks for your help Duncan :wave:

I have seen the HKS stainless dump pipe 'extensions' If you havent seen them they are basically just a conventional dump pipe but with the wastegate pipe on the outside then they join before the front pipe flange. I can get them quite cheap from Japan so im thinking maybe to go that option. What do you think?

Deren

post-14108-1204185066_thumb.jpg

I saw the Trust ones up close and they are so sexy, nearly made me get a GTR just so I could have them lol, they have a much longer split probably about 30-40cm before the wastegate outlet joins back up with the main pipe...and every one says this is good, but like Duncan says possibly not a massive difference, but if I wasnt planning on having my engine in and out often i would get them. One of my mates got some put on recently i will let you know what gains he got as soon as he gets it re tuned

Thanks for that Bunta! I would really appreciate it. I can get them for $1030 delivered or i can get the HKS extension kit ( stainless split dump pipes conventional length) for $575. Of course later i would get some matching stainless front pipes, but at least it would save some money till then and enable me to get the car up and running a little sooner. Alternatively i can get the Tomei ones for a similar price. What is everyones opinions?

PS: One thing to add would be that the HKS kit comes complete with every gasket, copper washer, etc necessary for fitment.. Quite good value considering that.

Deren

post-14108-1204272901_thumb.jpg

Edited by Godzilla32

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mate, thats the plan. I was hoping not to ever see one better. I'd be pretty suprised to see one more throughly done.

I'll be adding more pics soon. I have decided to order the HKS Extension kit and with it i'll also be getting new Nismo engine and trans mount in the next few weeks.

hows it all coming along deren? couldn't get a hand on some CEC dump's? expensive but i assure u the HKS ones will be great. i just got a new front facing plenum.

Its getting there, but i doubt much has changed since you saw it. I couldnt justify spending that much money on the CES pipes, as nice as they were. So im waiting to get this new order which will include the HKS dumps so that will allow me to fit the turbos properly and pretty much complete that side of the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a huge part but a very important one none the less! I stripped it down mainly to give it a good clean out as my old clutch was fairly well worn and there was quite a bit of clutch dust in the bell housing so i figured i'd find more in the starter motor. Sure enough it was in need of one of my very pedantic clean up jobs :)

I recently placed an order for the HKS extension pipes and Nismo engine and transmission mounts so im just at a bit of a stand still till they arrive...Or i bite the bullet and make the final adjustments to the front diff so the whole thing (sump) can go back on the engine!

post-14108-1206440387_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1206440436_thumb.jpg

The brushes were a bit tricky to get into place but once i worked out the best way it was all pretty smooth sailing :rofl: Was all quite good fun. Like i said i didnt actually replace anything just inspected it for wear, painted it up bit by bit and re-assembled. Im actually slowly running out of parts to clean up now. Which is a bit of a relief. Now there is just more hard earned cash to spend! I'll tally it all up once im done to make everyone laugh at me for wasting so much money :)

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the parts from Japan on the 24th of march. The money cleared in their account on the 26th and they sent the parts on the 29th and i received them on the 1st of April! I couldnt believe how fast it was. Having the parts in stock would have helped i guess :laugh:

So tonight i bolted up the new HKS extension kit (split stainless dump pipes). They are top quality as you would expect from HKS.

When i first received the HKS pipes i noticed the kit includes special dividers. As i mentioned the dump pipes are split into 2 pipes, one for the main gas flow out of the turbine wheel and another smaller one for the bypassed gas out of the wastegate flap. The dividers are designed to be bolted onto the inside of dump pipe flange, and they completely block the turbine wheel from the wastegate flap, preventing either gas flow from interferring with the other. However the newly designed Garrett turbos have a similar built in divider, but doesnt completely block the turbine wheel from the wastegate flap. It looks to serve the same purpose. At first i wasnt sure if i should remove the cast divider in the exhaust housings and use the supplied dividers or vice versa. I kind of figured that a completely separate passage for either gas flow would be better. In saying that, since talking to a few guys in 'the know' they have all said just to use the built in dividers. I think the kit is more designed to be used on the stock turbos which have no divider and would benefit more from the bolt on ones.

So tonight i went ahead bolting up the pipes to the back of the turbos. Tomorrow i will properly fit the turbos and pretty much everything else on the turbo side of the engine. I have included a few photos of the new parts but will have many more tomorrow after i fit everything up. Its going to look insane! :D

post-14108-1207302594_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1207302631_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1207302657_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1207302773_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1207302818_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1207302852_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1207302948_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1207302984_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1207303008_thumb.jpg

Don't tempt him too much Paul. The poor lad is broke.

Now those dumps look exactly like mine Deren, which I'm sure is what they were copied off. How is the welding around the wastegate join? I had a fair bit of cleanup on mine but otherwise were very very nice.

My Manifolds are also made with the mounts for the heat shields....must be another copy :D

Ok, first things first. I'd love to have some matching manifolds but i really can't afford them and wasnt sure there was a huge amount of improvement to be made. However just out of curiousity, how much are they worth to you? :)

The wastegate join was pretty good, a bit of an edge which i was going grind but last night in all the excitement i bolted them up and kind of forgot. Its only on where the wastegate pipe joins back onto the main pipe. Will it make much of a difference? Who thinks its ok to reuse the metal gaskets for the dumps if i did remove them for grinding?

Everyone is welcome to have a look at the car. It will most likely eventually return to melbourne with me if/when i move back there.

Edited by Godzilla32

Since it is the wastgate return probably not much value. My cheap ebay knockoffs were pretty poorly done in that region so I hooked in with the die grinder. The overall result of some highflows, the tubular manifolds and dumps is a lazy 320rwkw at 14psi and very good response. I was at Lakeside today and the GTR was so easy to point on the throttle it was a joy, plus I was able to stay on the rivet with caged and semi slicked cars with my nearly stuffed rear street rubber and crap Falkens on the front, and I put it down to the sheer driveability and responsiveness of the hot side of the engine. I only lacked speed across the face of the corner where the sticky rubber makes its greatest impact.

Nice work Geoff!

I ended up going into work yesterday after making the post and cleaning the joins up on the dump pipes. I finished it with some emery for a nice smooth surface. Feels awesome now. I fitted it all yesterday but am yet to get pics. Will probably post tonight or tomorrow.