SAU Community

My Restoration

true..wow been a year already, time flys. Good to hear progress on the gtr though, you'll have to show me when it is finished. Post up some pics of the bay n all...unless you wanna keep it a suprise! But i do agree it is an engerneiring masterpeice so it should look that way! Cheers, Hame!

Anymore info on the Samco hose set?

Is it a complete RB26 engine rubber hose replacement kit or just selected items?

What sorta $$$?

Where can I purchase?

Its 2 kits from Samco thru HyperFlow. A radiator kit (TCS37/H) and heater hose kit (TCS37/H). The vacuum tubing is by 3m packs. So its not one big kit. I'll just make up all the vacuum hoses. All that is about $450 for enough to do the car. By the way you can use the Samco vacuum tubing for low pressure coolant supply too. EG: overflow bottle.

Im a bit worried cuz i realised friday night that i didnt put any locators in the cylinder head before i put it back on. I was told by GTRsean that its supposed to have 2. I lined mine up with 2 bolts. One at either end in opposite row. Will this matter? If it is meant to have these 2 locator sleeves, i will pull the head off and while im there fit some new Tomei valve springs. Im already using all tomei metal gaskets so they wont be an issue to reuse as the engine hasnt been run yet.

Let me know what you guys think about the locator sleeves. I will call Will at JHH tomorrow for his thoughts but im still keen to know what everyone thinks.

Deren

Ok im 99% sure im going to pull the head back off. On top of fitting the locators to make sure the gasket is in position, i will be fitting aftermarket valve springs and an ARP head stud kit :P Should have done this from the start. The springs will be in place ready for when i have the cash to fit up tomei cams. So on top of costing me an extra $700 bucks i'll have a good solid weekend of work ahead of me!

On another note the car got towed to the body shop today and i visited it to make sure they were aware of what needed to be done. I have bought some R32 Gts-t factory rear pods too. I have been told they came on the 'Type M' version? Anyway they will hopefully help finish the skirts after the rear wheels.

Deren

post-14108-1217849077_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1217849105_thumb.jpg

Damn wouldn't want to be that towie... Such a clean car you would of been watching down on him like a hawk..

Looking forward to more updates.

Yeah haha. Should be even cleaner on the way back :D Im happy to show it off once its completed. If anyone wants to come round for a chat and to check it out in the mean time im happy to catch up ;)

An update on the valve springs: I will be using the brand 'Performance valve springs' as they are alot cheaper than Tomei type B. Tomei type A are marginally, if any better than stock springs. These springs are just as good as the type B's so they are my choice for the money. Aswell as those i'll be getting the ARP head stud kit at the same time. Might look at removing the head this weekend.

Deren

Edited by Godzilla32

Deren - are you still willing to do some small weekend work to make more money?

I've collected a few parts I would like fitted (dump/cat/fuel pump/boost controller)

I'd also like a general service (engine oil and filter, diff and gearbox oil)..

can you fit it in NEXT saturday if you still want to do this sort of stuff?

PM me if required.

That will be fine mate. Check your PM.

I've pulled the head back off mid week and it was picked up last night.

On top of the valve springs and head stud kit i have now decided to do a full race port on the head. This will give a gain on its own of 20-25% so basically means less boost for same power or more boost for even more power ;) I had previously had it pocket flowed, slight chamber work to relieve detonation mainly and the inlet manifold was match ported to the head. This will bring the head upto optimum flow and maximise breathing efficiency.

The head has been serviced already but im told the job wasnt perfect. So it will get a full set of new cast guides (current guides are k-lined), the full port job which includes re-seating the valves as they are actually lifted slightly in the chambers, re-surfacing of the head, reshimmed and pulled down by a couple of thou, new performance springs fitted and bolted back on with the ARP 2000 head stud kit. Once i have the head back i will include some pics of the port job by JHH so you know where to go for the best possible outcome!

I will also include a better list of what the port job includes as im a little vague on details at the moment.

Deren

No down side. Its a full port job which means optimising flow of the cylinder head. This equates to more power without turbo assitance (20-25%). Valve clearance will be brought down a couple of thou so it will actually be quieter. Idle will only change with more overlap in the valve timing. Can't wait for that :).

They dont do it because its time consuming and expensive. Im told its a solid 10 hours of grinding to achieve this result. The manual labour would push the final cars retail price up much higher. If they have already achieved their factory power output with cheaper options it allows them to make more profit.

Ah! Thanks Deren, that makes a lot of sense now. I didn't realise how much labour was involved. No race ports for Hyundais then.

btw, on the drive home from work yesterday I followed an Excel with a full cage and race numbers on the windshield!? It looked like a stock silver Hyundai POS, but had this massive cage inside. Weird. I had to take a photo just to make sure I wasn't seeing things :)

interesting Mark, we used to race against a silver hyundai (think it was a lantra?) in nsw production cars.

we had a combined grid race with about 20 daewoos and 20 combined touring cars. the lantra qualified behind all of the touring cars and a coupld of the 'woos, and was involved in a big crash turn 1 where he got turned by one of the daewoos, and then ht by about 4 more in a row. wonder if its the same one?

on the other hand if its a hyundai coupe, we raced one down at targa tas last year. was also silver.

edit - forget both of those I just saw you said it was an excel......