SAU Community

My Restoration

I dont really get it either. I think anymore than putting a useless exhaust and air filter pod on one of those is just a waste of money.. Save your money and buy something thats a proper sports car! Saves money in the long run.

Edited by Godzilla32

well I don't want to hijack your thread, but its actually pretty simple.

99% sure they have found someone that will cover the cost of buying, developing and racing the car. If someone offered me a car to race at no cost I would jump at it too, wouldn't take a second to consider what badge it had. Plus, the slower it is the more you giggle in your helmet when you overtake someone else :)

daewoos were a different story - they were a single make series so it was just a cost thing. very close racing with a control on costs. and yes very slow, but at least everyone else is as well.

Thank you very much for that insight Duncan! However they are for R33 and R34. Would it be compatible with my car? Quite cheap too. If its comparable quality to the Samco hoses and it will fit i will go that option.

Deren

Excellent i just had a look while getting their number and they do the radiator hoses too! Its $100 dollars cheaper than the Samco stuff and i will be getting twice as much. Can prolly wipe the Just Jap and Cooling pro logos off with some wax and grease remover lol :P

Once again thanks mate, good saving there!

haha yeah it must be able to wipe off because the one on my radiator hoses has worn off over the years. but noone will ever see under the plenum anyway :P those ones I posted seem to include everything except the radiator hoses (and they are there elsewhere).

btw I've been meaning to say....great thread! you've inspired me to do a similar job for my next gtr. going to grab a standard 32 vspec2 and just restore it all standard. not until the current project is going though.

Thanks for the support mate :P Im hoping that kit also includes the turbo coolant feed hoses. Looks like it probably does. They are quite visible and it would be nice to have shiney new blue ones lol.

I would love a vspec2 but this is what i began the venture on so no turning back now haha. Standard is nice to have but i simply couldnt resist some fettling (well quite a lot). My project goal has changed some what, as i originally had planned to keep it pretty stock. Mind you the build had also been planned to be much less extensive when i was at that stage.

On a side note, Nissan spare parts have been nothing short of brilliant to deal with here in Brisbane. I have been going through Cleveland Nissan and they have got me every single part number i have ever requested minus one which was an insignifcant body part no longer available. In saying that though, they have gotten me many tiny little clips and brackets rarely seen. In 99% of cases it seems if i can track down the part number (saves them the job, FAST works wonders), they can get me the part. I have spent a small fortune with them but they are good enough to give me discounts on larger purchases. As i work as a mechanic here the trade price is also handy.

So, many thanks to Rob, Mark, Paul and Sam at Cleveland Nissan!

Oh and to add something more, i'll be getting the cylinder head back tomorrow night and will be likely to refit it this weekend. Pics to come ASAP

Deren

After spending some time in FAST comparing all the hoses i have found that the heater hoses themselves that run along the firewall to the water galleries are different upto there! The rest appear the same but i havent compared part numbers at this stage. Looks like im back to the Samco option unless they can get me a set which will suit the R32 RB26 cooling system. Fingers crossed! Im disappointed at this stage :P

Deren

Yeah i called them today. He said there is a good chance that they were going to put together a set for the R32 RB26 so i'll keep my fingers crossed that it happens. Its a nice hose kit.

Put the head back on tonight actually. Will from JHH put it on with me so now i have peace of mind its all gone together properly. Still have to put everything else back on it now but the basics are bolted together at this point. So far i got one pic of the ARP2000 studs screwed into the block and the gasket on, but yet to take some pics of the port job. Its a nice job though. Sorry about the quality of the pic but ive only got my camera on my mobile to take pics at the moment unfortunately.

Deren

post-14108-1219400312_thumb.jpg

Got the chromed parts back today. Overall pretty happy with the result. Going to look nice on the engine :P

Now im just waiting on Just Jap to release a heater hose kit for the R32 Rb26!! Its the only thing holding me back from refitting the engine into the car. Well that and reassembling the exterior of the engine.

Deren

post-14108-1219825315_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1219825342_thumb.jpg

I have taken some pics of the inlet and exhaust ports with my camera fone. At night it doesnt come out the best but you get the idea. It appears the have a much straighter path to the back of the valves on both the inlet and exhaust. Probably more so on the inlet. The divider is very thin on the inlet side now. I'll get Will to explain all the reasons behind it all and note it down soon. I included a pic of the inlet side before porting. More to come soon..

Deren

post-14108-1219923871_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1219923944_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1219923992_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1219924017_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1219924049_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1219924074_thumb.jpg

Ok during the weekend just passed i have done quite a bit of work to my beloved RB26. The turbo side is 99% completed. Only missing a hose or two. I've fitted up the external oil return now too. I have tracked down a heater hose kit for the BNR32 (15 pieces) through Ministry of Bass. So thats a great relief because it was the one thing holding me up from completing the engine and refitting it back into the car.

More soon..

Deren

post-14108-1220345225_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1220345260_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1220345294_thumb.jpg

Haha no, i ate KFC once in it before the rebuild but as a rule... No consumption of food in vehicle!

Thanks Brendan its slowly coming together now, engine will go back in soon.

Lots of reading yeah, will be a great way to keep a record of all the work i've done to it.

Deren

Hahaha, I sort of have that rule for SILLBEER, but when my 2yo son is screaming in the back on a drive, food is usually the only solution to help alleviate the aural onslaught. He loves the car though...but when he's tired, he gets cranky as do we all sometimes.