SAU Community

My Restoration

Its actually pretty far from done but getting there slowly. Im still waiting for the silicone hoses to come from Ministry of Bass. They should arrive tomorrow. Once they come in i will fit them all to the engine. From there, besides fitting the throttles and plenum, only small jobs remain before i can refit the engine back into the car.

Deren

all i can say is WOW great write up mate... this is a great idea since a r33gts-t was my first car i was thinking of doing the same. so then i will keep it with me for a loooonngg time..

post some pix when u get it moving hehe

:)Chris

Thanks mate. I always wanted the perfect R32 GTR inside and out. Its was a very neat one owner 40,000km vehicle to begin with but i decided to go all out :D I plan to make some videos of things like first fire, dyno tuning, and driving of course. Engine is very close to complete now, so it will be going back in once i get the car back from the body shop. They have been doing a few more bits and pieces for me.

Deren

I have just wandered into this thread during a between lecture break. Needless to say I have missed my next lecture as I sat here staring.

Wow.

I mean I have been involved in some anal retentive rebuilds but I have never seen a GTR prepared to these kinds of standards.

It reminds me of when I was being obsessive compulsive with my XB GT. Putting all the screws into little labeled boxes as to their location and size, or removing all the original stickers carefully so I could put them back on later, or building large sandblaster so I could do all the cleaning myself. Four years later and its still not painted...

Its brilliant man, exactly the kind of look I like. If you weren't across the Bass Straight I would be coming around for a perv. I am in awe.

Cheers mate :D Your XB sounds very nice. Love them too.

One thing thats annoying me is relying on other people to do work. If only i was able to do it all myself. Unfortunately chrome work etc is out of my hands and currently taking alot of effort to get right! Not completely happy. I had planned to put the plenum back on the engine this weekend and complete the engine but it wasnt to be. The plenum was returned to me for the 2nd time in less than satisfactory condition. So back it went :cool:

More waiting... Well its been 3 years, i've learnt to be patient :) The car itself is currently having a few bits and pieces done and its also taking much longer than anticipated too. Once again, im being patient :)

Added a pic of current engine progress. As you can see not much left besides fuelling and plenum etc. Sorry about the bad quality pics.

More soon,

Deren

post-14108-1222418361_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1222419050_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1222419095_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1222419176_thumb.jpg

Edited by Godzilla32

This week i inspected the car at the body shop. Everything is done and im happy so the car will be trucked back to me in the next few days. It looks amazing. While there i had the rear pods painted to match and they will go on once everything else is completed on the body. Still waiting for the plenum before i can complete the engine. Once its back on i will refit the engine back into the car. Then get to work refitting everything thats not already on the front of the car, such as intercooler, front bumper, etc. Still need to reassemble the gearbox and get the glass back into the car.

This week i got a few more things from Nissan Japan including a new coolant bottle. Nothing wrong with the old one but it couldnt be cleaned to look like new :P So if anyone needs one im +1 :)

Deren

Car has been returned to me finally :) Everything is great, apart from the rear pods i bought off a GTS skyline. They are painted up but someone forgot to check if they actually fit. The rear quarters are different on the GTR and the pods dont sit perfectly. Something to sort out. The car is also quite dusty now after being at the panel shop for a few weeks so there is much to be cleaned :thumbsup:

Still waiting on final chrome job on the plenum. Hopefully it will be back to me by friday and i can finish the engine this weekend. I'll be borrowing an engine crane in the couple of weeks.

More to come,

Deren

:O:) Wow good job man.Thats awsome.I wish I had the time to do this.Goodluck man Keep us posted.Soo lucky Buildin from the ground up so u can work the car anyway u like it.And its easy to install everything.^^Nothin in the way woot.

Ok i got the plenum back and im pretty happy with it this time (3rd time lucky). Its been trial fitted to the engine and looks pretty sweet if i do say so myself. So this weekend i will be completing all necessary work to allow me to refit it back into the car as soon as i get a mates engine crane :D All going to plan it will hopefully be back in its home within a month or so!

Once again i apologise for the less than great photos. Still need to get a decent camera.

Deren

post-14108-1223540154_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1223540193_thumb.jpg

Yeah im hanging :D What does FTW mean? It looks like its the same color as the car but its actually a shade darker with no gloss. A little more subtle than i expected :(

Regarding the heater hose kit, its the same price as the other kit for the R33/R34. It comes with the R33/R34 hoses also, well mine did. $200 for the kit which includes 15 pieces and $80 for the radiator hoses :) They are all fitted up minus the ones that run along the firewall. Im desperate to find someone i can buy those little spring action hose clamps from. I want to replace the vacuum tubing clamps with the chromate yellow colored spring clamps. Anyone??

Deren

Edited by Godzilla32

Thanks mate. Got Powercruise on this weekend. Looking forward to laying a bit of hurt down on her. Still working on a tune/mechanical problem...could be the head. We're going to try another one and see how that goes...long story.

I spent about 2 hours fitting up the plenum etc this afternoon only to realise whilst i was packing up that i had forgotten to put in the last 3 throttle body gaskets between the TB's and the plenum! DOH.. So when i feel motivated i will undo it all and slip them in :ermm: