SAU Community

Engine Rebuilt?

mlyf16

Hi guys, just finished changing timing belt, everything is on and bolted, now the problem is when i rotate the crank shaft(clockwise) using a long bar it would spin free for a half turn then it would stop as if somethin is on the way. Is this normal? :huh: I have checked if everything is tdc and all are in the dot. What could be wrong? :)

Thanks in advance.

as in completely stop and cant turn it anymore at all as if its actually hit something or as in its become alot harder to turn as its building compression and resisting the rest of the stroke? If you reckon you got it setup at tdc and the timing gears are on the money with the backcover marks then it should be good. maybe go back and double or triple check everything. You are referring to number 1 piston at tdc right?

Edited by r33_racer

yup its at top dead centre took off no.1 spark plug to see if the piston is at top n it is.Whiel turning 1half turn its ok no resistance den half way suddenly stop I cant turn it at all.***ck hope its not the valves hiting the pistons? could it???

Check that everything is lined up, right! (ie, there are dots on both cam gears, and dot on crank pully, make sure they line up with marks on timing belt), also check that you bought the right timing belt, but i assume you did.

You get some resistance when turning from the compression of the engine, take all of the spark plugs out and see if it's still hard to turn, but whatever you do, don't turn it hard incase the cam timing is out of phase with the crank timing.

What would happen if you swapped the cam wheels, ie ex on in and in on ex - do the dots still line up correctly? Never tried it myself, always make sure I keep the wheels separate.

As a worst-case, remove the rocker covers and check that the lobes for #1 on both cams are pointing away from the piston with #1 @ TDC. The lobes for #6 should be "on the rock" ie on TDC overlap.

Well this happened to me not to long ago and i snapped 2 valves. But with me my timing belt flew off if this happened to you or anything to do with the timing belt while the car was running then you have almost 99% snapped 2 valves. Big headach. Also make sure you check your hydralic valve lifters.

Edited by 4AL2NV

s*it think head recon** is in favor. Mate how do you check ur hydralic valve lifters? by any chance how much did u spend on fixing the head. If your mechanic minded, is head removal easy to do but time consuming?

not all timing belts will have marks on them. Besides, having the timing belt marks line up isnt that important, thats only for help. The important thing is that both and intake and exhaust wheels are lined up with their respective marking on the back cover and your crank belt gear is lined up with the notch in the oil pump when no1 is at TDC. Im pretty sure the belts are all the same for rb20, 25 and 26 all 141T belts. Someone might want to check me on that too.

You havent got your camshafts in arse about have you?

Edited by r33_racer

Question- are your spark plugs in??? if so take them out, all of them and try again.

seen new guys at work do this and almost cry thinking that they have broken something. lol

if you still cant turn it maybe crying is needed.

cheers

Stupid thought - you haven't lined the crank up at 30 BTDC have you? ie you've lined up the first (right-most) mark on the pulley with the mark on the block. it needs to be the left-most mark on the pulley.