SAU Community

Can R33's Be Rev Limited

MistR33td

Hey guys just wondering ive got an R33 gts-t 1995, can the car be rev limited...if that makes sense, my car says it can rev to 9000, but the redline starts at 7, and the revs will not exceed 7000, like the needle for the revs will just bounce up and down at 7, dono if this is a skyline R33 thing, or my car is just the odd one out. And can u get like a piggy back computer to change that...

cheers! :rofl:

dont let it sit at 7k, ull break somthing.

that sounds normal, same with my car. the limiter on them stops them from going over 190kmh, in 5th at full throddle, u can get past about 5.5k.

dont let it sit at 7k, ull break somthing.

that sounds normal, same with my car. the limiter on them stops them from going over 190kmh, in 5th at full throddle, u can get past about 5.5k.

Dunno about that vange......... I've had mine with the needle pointing straight down(well past the 180) and that was early 5th! and as for the limiter........ it's there for a reason to stop you from going into the unknown, it's ok to go there, just not too often! LOL

They all have rev limiters in, just about every car with an ECU has one, it's common sense.

These aren't carbied V8's that let you spin em till they do bearings, or just 'splode, etc.

Just coz the guage says 9000 RPM doesn't mean you can actually hit it.

You can get Nismo 320KPH Speedos too...

I can't remember the factory ECU strategy but I'm pretty sure it's an ignition cut.

They make a distinctive noise when they bounce off it too.

I tell a lie, you probably could hit 9000 RPM if you were revving high in 3rd gear, and on the gear change managed to grab 2nd instead 4th.

Pretty sure a Volvo did it in Targa a few years back, went to 10,000 RPM, then popped!

Edit: The easiest way to find it (your limit) is do a burnout in 2nd.

You should be able to hold it there no worries for a while.

Just don't go free revving it to find out (can't remember exactly why but) it's bad.

If i remember rightly stock R32 is about 7200RPM (gauge reads 8500-9000 and redline starts at 6500-7000).

Edited by Oosh

Dunno about that vange......... I've had mine with the needle pointing straight down(well past the 180) and that was early 5th! and as for the limiter........ it's there for a reason to stop you from going into the unknown, it's ok to go there, just not too often! LOL

yeh i guessed 190, cos it passes the 180, didnt really get my protractor out n see if its pointing down, cos i was going a bit fast at the time lol :)

yeh i had 5th n it wouldnt go anymore, n i had a bit more revs left in it....

No it is 180KPH, once your speedo gets abouve 100KPH it's pretty inaccurate, that's why it'll show 190KPH on the dial around the speed cut.

Hook up to the consult port and get a digital read-out and you can see the difference.

Edit: Maybe i'm selling the poor speedo short, that's only about a 5% error really, it just gets compounded the faster you go.

Edited by Oosh

The rb25's are prone to throwing rods at around 7500rpm, It will handle 7000rpm with confidence. It's best in every respect not to 'free rev' the motor past around 5 grand, the reason for this is a free reving motor doesn't have nearly enough load on all the components to stop them flapping around 'so to speak' where as a motor under full load at 7000rpm will have a lot more load bearing down on the rods etc, keeping bearing clearances to a bear minimum holding it all together. i hope that makes sence. I'm not saying that you can rev your motor as much as you like with load, im just saying all the components eg. gugion pins, bottom end bearings and the enertia of the pistons aren't bouncing around in fresh air causing unwanted vibration.

i would imagine free revving an engine would tend to stretch rods etc.

correct me if im wrong. i'm taking this information from things ive been told and read.

Edited by R3125DET

No it is 180KPH, once your speedo gets abouve 100KPH it's pretty inaccurate, that's why it'll show 190KPH on the dial around the speed cut.

Hook up to the consult port and get a digital read-out and you can see the difference.

Edit: Maybe i'm selling the poor speedo short, that's only about a 5% error really, it just gets compounded the faster you go.

Well I know my speedo's pretty accurate to within a couple kays at 100. So I calculated out my speed according to what RPM my tacho was reading (5250 I think it was, it was a fair while ago) & how many kph/1000 rpm the car did in 5th & it worked out to bang on 200kph. However there is a soft cut at 180kph where acceleration dies off very suddenly, so it then creeps to the 200 hard cut.

Without the speed limiter the car is theoretically capable of reaching 250kph when hitting the rev limiter in 5th, actually capable if the car has been modified sufficiently.

Also the rev limiter is definantely fuel cut. If it was ignition it would pop & crackle & carry on just like a drifter does when they find the limiter.

Edited by JazzaR33

The rb25's are prone to throwing rods at around 7500rpm, It will handle 7000rpm with confidence. It's best in every respect not to 'free rev' the motor past around 5 grand, the reason for this is a free reving motor doesn't have nearly enough load on all the components to stop them flapping around 'so to speak' where as a motor under full load at 7000rpm will have a lot more load bearing down on the rods etc, keeping bearing clearances to a bear minimum holding it all together. i hope that makes sence. I'm not saying that you can rev your motor as much as you like with load, im just saying all the components eg. gugion pins, bottom end bearings and the enertia of the pistons aren't bouncing around in fresh air causing unwanted vibration.

i would imagine free revving an engine would tend to stretch rods etc.

correct me if im wrong. i'm taking this information from things ive been told and read.

Don't mean to shoot you down, but tell me this. How often have you seen/heard of a an engine throwing a rod when it's just free reving? Probably never I'd say. 99 times out of a 100 things fail on an engine when under heavy load. Only thing I reckon you're likely to do free reving is hit a valve against a piston if you go beyond it's revving capabilities.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've hit the limiter (I can't help myself :)) but if the limiter wasn't there, I'd be far more cautious about reving my engine hard.

Edit: Yes I agree fuel cut isn't as good, I try to get off it ASAP

Edited by JazzaR33

i would imagine because those motors are reving far beyond their capability and half the time too much power aswell. you dont hear of many free revving rod throwers because most people aren't game enough to try. hehe

I have this discovery channel dvd at home about how cars are made, most euro and jap cars are tested way beyond their limits, They said most car manufacturers sit the engines on an engine dyno and bounce them off the limiter for a couple of hours!!! hehe amazing

^^id say so, but it depends what ur doing, when ur sideways its pretty hard to change gears and steer at the same time (unless ur mardle) so u dont have much choice but to bounce it off the limit. but for a drag, i wouldnt rev it past 7k, no point really.

is it fair to say staying within the red line gives you maximum performance and torque?

i highly doubt that it gives you any additional performance or torque once it pasts say 6k rpm. reason being is that (if were talking stock engine/turbo here) at that stage things just run out of puff. if you look at a majority of dyno figures, the graphs shows the power curve dying off at its peak (rev limiter). thats what i think anyways, so personally i dont see point in revving it anywhere near redline.

^^ Yes this is abosolutely true you will not gain anything by reving over 6 grand on the stock engine.

I always remember it feeling like it was struggling once it got past 6 with the stock exhaust, it was pointless. However with the new exhaust my own flattens in the power department at about 6500 & only just starts to die off before the limiter & is slowly dropping torque throughout the rev range.

Driving the car now I sometimes hit the limiter thinking it's got at least another 500 rpm more left in it.... until the mandarory brap brap brap happens & I see the tacho pointing at the red.... Whoops

No doubt with a freer flowing & much better cooling front mount the torque would be almost dead flat till at least 5 grand I reckon with much less drop off thereafter.

i highly doubt that it gives you any additional performance or torque once it pasts say 6k rpm. reason being is that (if were talking stock engine/turbo here) at that stage things just run out of puff. if you look at a majority of dyno figures, the graphs shows the power curve dying off at its peak (rev limiter). thats what i think anyways, so personally i dont see point in revving it anywhere near redline.

haha what i meant was staying before the redline, my bad! and what i was trying to get at was what is the point of going over when the car normally pull out the best torque before it! the only time i'll go past redline is when i forget to look at my revs