SAU Community

Wakefield First Timer

Hi everyone, went to wakefield park yesterday for my first time on a circuit in my R33 GTS-t (Chinese Burgandy hehe). Had a ball. Probably about other street 8 cars there which was great. Best value racing I have ever had. Forget go-karts. Forget passenger rides and gift vouchers. Most importantly you don't need a fastest pimped up car to have fun. There was an Astra and even an old Celica out there. I paid for some driver training (only person there that did) to show me correct lines/brakepoints for this track and I'll tell you that there was no-one that could shake me for 3/4 of that track (even that silver EVO thankyou) - good value and well worth the money. Lost about 1/2 my tyres tho (Nankangs NS2 - cheap anyway)

My Skyline was the only standard turbo vehicle out there (apart from 17" Nismo wheels) and I would say I had the most fun out of them all. I think everyone should have a go. Especially if your thinking of spending bega bucks on your car. Get down there with your stocker and get some value out of your car instead of throwing your money away on go-fast/look good bits. Highly recommended. I don't even know what times I did ... next time maybe.

I did see one yellow evo overtake u very quickly :D

I was their in the morning with the gtr

Haha gday. Yep no chance there. That guy has lapped that place 1000 times I bet. It's got serious horsepower too.

Hey make sure you get rid of those blow-off valves off that poor GTR. Shame you couldn't do some laps around with us in that little rocket.

Haha gday. Yep no chance there. That guy has lapped that place 1000 times I bet. It's got serious horsepower too.

Hey make sure you get rid of those blow-off valves off that poor GTR. Shame you couldn't do some laps around with us in that little rocket.

yeah gunna get rid of those HKS valves go standard get an a oil catch can should be cool after that

That Evo got 235Kw at the wheels

yeah gunna get rid of those HKS valves go standard get an a oil catch can should be cool after that

That Evo got 235Kw at the wheels

Oil catch is a good idea. You may want to find more about why it was happening. It may be the symptom of another problem - hopefully not. The only trouble I had that was related was my mechanic that did my timing belt over-filled when he did the oil change at the same time. Oil ended up in the intercooler and everywhere.

Yep that was an angry Evo that one. Can't miss it in the mirrors either :D .

I agree its bloody good fun me and a couple of the Canberra guys were there a fortnight ago. It was mine and one other guys first time. Our day was a little more nerve racking for me personally as I was the slowest car there and I did a 1.18.76 and 1.19.00. There were about 8 evo's, couple of rotors, WRX, MR2, clubsport and 3 skylines.

all in all great day just make sure you take it easy for the first half of the day as you will slowly build your confidence to go faster

on that note I only managed 175km's down the straight or there abouts.

Did you hit the 180 limiter?

Nope. Not enough power I'd say. No significant power mods on my car so standard kw it is.

From my brief glimpse at the speedo - 160 - 165km/hr therabouts. This 180 limiter you speak of doesn't seem to apply here. On the stock 16" rims I had the needle well past 180 to approx 200/210 before I ran outta road.

I am on 17" rims now so I am not sure what the true speed would be yesterday....

I can't believe these 12 year old vintage brakes can take that beating without any apparent fade. Amazing stuff.

I was one of the guys that went with leech_, it was loads of fun just watch out for them rabbits...aviator pic is the result of my first ever lap.

Also dont forget to warm up and work your way into the day as leech_ said, other wise you will be off in no time.

Well remember next Wed there will be lots of Skylines from Vic and NSW down for the day. It's just one of the open days like this was.

Any first timers can join us. Most of the Vic guys have never been to Wakefield before and I pretty sure we have quite a few 1st timers as well.

Good to hear that you finally popped your track cherry. ;)

However, its the beginning of the end of your wallet. Once you get hooked and track heavily....things start getting replaced because they can't handle the rigours of track work. ;)

Good to hear that you finally popped your track cherry. :D

However, its the beginning of the end of your wallet. Once you get hooked and track heavily....things start getting replaced because they can't handle the rigours of track work. :D

Thanks - nice one. I see your point. I must say the side effects are that I can't get that track outta my head and I am unsure now if I want to sell or not damn it.

I am aware of the downward spiral of expenditure but I figure that, depending on alot of factors, the more I spend on the car the more I will have to spend on the car. So my idea is not to spend serious money and try and enjoy it for what it is. I have no interest in "bling" either - as many would have noticed by how dirty and stock my car is. I still have the standard jap radio too! I enjoy driving that's all - don't care what it is either.

If I do roll onto the track again I would probably like to invest at most in a front mount to keep those intake temps down and finally open up the exhaust a bit too. Then I'll try and hold some restraint.

I was one of the guys that went with leech_, it was loads of fun just watch out for them rabbits...aviator pic is the result of my first ever lap.

Also dont forget to warm up and work your way into the day as leech_ said, other wise you will be off in no time.

Ah cool, I thought I'd catch some others here. Not sure who leech_ is though. That advice is spot on. I used to work at Fastlane Go-Karts years ago so I have picked up alot of experience from there. I used to pretty much only go out in the wet. Just as it starts to spit rain - nice and greasy. Wonder what Wakefield is like in the wet. More like I wonder what my tyres will be like in the wet!

I must say I didn't touch dirt or spin all day which is good. I think it's nearly impossible to hit anything solid on that track (except for the back of someone else).

It's quite a drive to come down from Sydney again. If I do show up I won't be able to only watch. Too hard to watch....

Wonder what Wakefield is like in the wet.

Its fun. Although you might end up looking like this:

20050625_trackdays_wp_32.jpg

The last time I went to Wakefield it bucketed down the night before, and intermittently rained all day. I tried to grip drive the first two sessions, just to see how well I could try and balance the car on the limits (the conclusion is, "not very") and then I spent the rest of the wet track conditions sideways.

The last time I went to Wakefield it bucketed down the night before, and intermittently rained all day. I tried to grip drive the first two sessions, just to see how well I could try and balance the car on the limits (the conclusion is, "not very") and then I spent the rest of the wet track conditions sideways.

Haha nice. It's quite a skill to drive fast in the wet. It's a great lesson for all in car control/balance/power delivery etc. I think everyone should have a go. Some of the great(est) drivers were experts in the wet - a wet track is a great equaliser.

I think your front wheels pulling you out of the corners is a destinct advantage though!

Yeah. That's why I want to do it again. If I can find another day I know will rain at Wakefield, I'll take the time off work.

And this time I'll spend more time trying to grip drive in the wet, instead of going out and bagging it up.

As an aside, that pic isn't my car. My car's pure RWD baby.