SAU Community

Engine Fans

GTRNUR

Hi all,

R32 GTS and GTR engine fans are all getting pretty old so it seems. Mine and a mates on his GTR have both failed and don't blow enough air, resulting in overheating when idling. I'd imagine that getting another fan off an R32 would be in simular condition.

My questions are...:

Will an R33 GTS fan fit? I guess what I'm really after is a fan diameter and length from the flange where it goes onto the water pump, to the front so I can compare them.

Also, who has a success story to share about there experiences in switching to a thermo fan... and if so how did you do it (keep the old shrould, fabricate a new shroud, or just throw the whole thing away and direct mount the thermo on the radiator)?

Cheers,

Ian.

Hi all,

R32 GTS and GTR engine fans are all getting pretty old so it seems. Mine and a mates on his GTR have both failed and don't blow enough air, resulting in overheating when idling. I'd imagine that getting another fan off an R32 would be in simular condition.

My questions are...:

Will an R33 GTS fan fit? I guess what I'm really after is a fan diameter and length from the flange where it goes onto the water pump, to the front so I can compare them.

Also, who has a success story to share about there experiences in switching to a thermo fan... and if so how did you do it (keep the old shrould, fabricate a new shroud, or just throw the whole thing away and direct mount the thermo on the radiator)?

Cheers,

Ian Swinkels.

A "no-success" story here for a thermo fan. I strongly recommend against it.

As for your overheating problems, are you sure the water pump is in top-notch condition. They are becoming famous for having the impeller fins corrode away (because the Japs won't use inhibitor when they fill the radiator with acid rain).

I'm the one with the gt-r reffered to in the top post to test the water pump i simply pulled the top hose off the radiator and checked for a continuous flow of coolant (which it had). So yeh suppose there could be a few half fins of the water pump left that don't do the job correctly but the fact that i can shove my hand in the engine fan and stop it with out any pain suggests either way it is a contributing factor that and it also appears to be leaking from around the shaft as it has a nice oily crud build up.

As for your overheating problems, are you sure the water pump is in top-notch condition. They are becoming famous for having the impeller fins corrode away (because the Japs won't use inhibitor when they fill the radiator with acid rain).

Yeah my water pump is new, and Rob's (R32 GT-R) is ok too as it still has flow when its hot.

I've since installed a new 300mm airconditioning davies craig fan, and a 16" thermo on the radiator and my problems are more or less solved. I just need to work on a better shroud arrangement for it all. I suspect the twin 300mm fans or el falcon fans would have been the better way to go, but its all part of the testing phase i guess.

So far it runs on 77-79 degrees at night with the aircon off. During the day it runs up to 88 degrees in traffic, but with the aircon on that drops to about 84, so it is working ok. I've also found that after taking the car for a flogging it takes longer for the thermo to pull the water temps down than it did even with the 3/4's buggered fan. I suspect that better shrouding or a switch to twin thermos will sort that out quickly.

ive got twin thermos never had a problem - last summer i was stuck in traffic plenty of times in 40 degree heat and never had an overheating issue - with and without air con on.

i would recommend it.

Hi Ian hows it all working out for ya?

I might be able to add a bit here but first just have a quick question, what are your thoughts on this radiator shroud, its off a gts4 and the seller says thats how they are but it looks as if a bit is missing and cubes also seems to think so. Do you think it will work well enough as it is or should i try and get the missing bit for it(if there is one)

post-21010-1163663161.jpg

Here is a pic of my current steup, 2 14" davies craig thermos being controlled by the davies craig temp switch. I also make these kick on with the aircon via a relay

post-21010-1163663365.jpg

Like this i usually see temps 88-92 just sitting around with the bonnet up, i think the temp switch is to blame as that is the earliest it will let me kick the fans on and stuck in traffic it has gone to 106-110 but at the time my alternator wasnt charging real well and the fans were down on power.

The fans also overhang the radiator slightly and they dont have a shroud which wouldnt help them out at all. Most of the time the temp is fine but i also noticed that it took a long time to bring the water temp down.

My new plan of attack is to put a clutch fan and shroud back on and im going to try and fit a commodore fan in front or the radiator as an overheat fan and to kick on for the aircon, time to put some of the wolfs features to use.

PS. smoothest idle we could get was with 1.2ms injector time, under 1.18ms it would just miss and shake and the afr at idle is 11-1, oh yeah!

Dude that fan shround looks exactly like the one I took of my car. It "appears" to be missing a part that sits in the bottom corner in front of the aircon compressor, but thats not the case. There isn't supposed to be anything there.

Your cars runing pretty dam hot too. I'd consider investing in an aluminium radiator. Rob (R32 GTR) has just bought a custom PWR radiator and its about the sexiest piece of gear i've ever seen. It just says 500+hp looking at it.

A good quality alloy radiator with a shroud and twin thermo's will definatly solve 99% of heating issues.

Sounds like your injection is still running 3 pair batch fire too. My pulse widths are around 2.25ms at idle with a 13:1 AFR. Injectors are 440cc and I've cranked more fuel pressure in too, though I can't remember exactly how much...

Cheers,

Ian

11-1??

Damn thats rich.

I would be looking at your injector health. Either a couple cant supply the required fuel at 1.18ms or their spray patten isnt atomising it correctly which requires more fuel to hopefully "acheive" combustion.

Cheers

Sumo

• 1 year later...

im thinking about removing my engine fan and putting twin thermo's, what size is recommended?

i was considering putting two 12" thermo's in front of engine (push type) and because my intercooler, covers my radiator (stopping airflow) a push type on the front of the radiator aswell.

would the alternator handle it? am i going overboard with having one on the radiator too?

cheers 4drftn

You cant beat the clutch fan for reliability and consistent engine temps. After the post in this thread done a long while back I tried diferent variations of an electric thermo, and none manage to keep the engine temp below 95 when stuck in 40k traffic with the air conditioning on. Turn the air con off, and it was able to drop the temps to about 85 or so, still too hot considering your just idling along practically.

Got a clutch fan from an R33 gtr and regardless if whether the aircon was on or off, and how the car was being driven it would rarely get above 81 degrees on the hottest of days.

The only time a fan isnt needed is when your car is above 80k's, at which time the air temps from the back of the radiator are cool enough to allow the clutch fan to free spin. So its not robbing power or reducing engine response.

• 2 weeks later...