SAU Community

Forged Pistons and $$

Guest INASNT

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry about the big ends... Unless you want big power (300rwkw plus), the stock ones will handle the job fine... Just make sure there's plenty of oil pressure - and don't use a shit oil.

As far as rod bolts go - Tomei are the best mob to get em off... Unfortunately all of ARP's stuff is in imperial measurements, and you'll want metric :)

matt

Originally posted by Sydneykid

Put in some nismo big end bearings, and some arp bolts while your in there...and if you really wanna load on the power, get the block o-ring as well....hell, even do the conrods while your in there....

Pistons might not be the first thing to go flying while ya turn up the boost mate... if ya wanna account for one thing, be prepared for something else to happen

Son of Sydneykid

oh - btw inasnt - my car's got forgies in it... They were cosworth blanks & were HPC'd to boot. The rods are RB30 stockies that were shot peened, nitrided and all the rest of it...

It really comes down to what you want to use your car for... if it's just going to be a quick streeter, get a metal head gasket to lower the compression some, stick some cams in it, and stick a T04e/GT3040/T60/(insert turbo of choice) and you'll get 250 on pump gas without any problems. Spend your money on a decent radiator and oil cooler. Cool inlet temps and cool oil and you shouldn't have any dramas. Run it with a powerfc and as soon as you see knock, take your foot off the throttle and you'll be right.

Only reason I did my motor is because I wanted to have some fun at the track.

FYI - Stay away from trust/mitsubishi turbos... They're rubbish. Only after I had mine rebuilt was it any good.

matt

Hi matlowth, we use metric ARP bolts and studs a lot, plus they make them for a number of Japanese Tuning Shops. You just need to ask for the metric catalogue

Hope that helps

Serious? Well there you go! You learn something new every day :) Tomei's stuff is comparably priced tho which is why they were used in my motor...

matt

Hi, matt

FYI - Stay away from trust/mitsubishi turbos... They're rubbish. Only after I had mine rebuilt was it any good.

Can you give us a bit more info on this..thanks.

Originally posted by sidewaymambo

Hi, matt

Can you give us a bit more info on this..thanks.

I hate to say anything bad about any product... but since this is such a contentious issue and this guy is not the first the re-iterate this point...

Do a search for "Trust" in this forum. See what you get.

While other people complain about HKS turbo pricing, they rarely complain about build and design.

The disclaimer is that many people use Trust and are happy but that mustn't blind one to the people who have problems.

T.

Well - any of the TD series turbo's have piss poor thrust bearings which will give the minute you start flowing serious power through them... Mine let go at 14psi (on a trust TD07S). I've heard of other people having similar problems, and it was only after I had the bearing modified that it was reliable.

Secondly, as far as drivability goes, they don't know how to match compressor/exhaust housing or wheels. I've seen a T78 on a GTR make boost 1000rpm later than a Garrett equivalent of a T88 (a much larger turbo). A similar garrett turbo on my motor would make boost 1000rpm earlier.

If you look at how they balance a compressor wheel on a turbo, they just cut chunks out of the side of the wheel, rather than garretts practice of skimming metal of the back of the wheel. Dodgy...

Hence my post - trust turbo's are rubbish.

matt

Guest INASNT

thanks for the info matt!

so shat turbo u using now? and when u gonna do that 10 sec pass down at calder? :)

No worrys :D The turbo in it now is a Hybrid T66 thingo... It's got a HKS T04-R front wheel, with a back cut t66 rear wheel.

Re: calder - I just came back from heathcote... Ran it up in full street trim and i'm very happy with the results :)

matt

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by matlowth

No worrys :D  The turbo in it now is a Hybrid T66 thingo... It's got a HKS T04-R front wheel, with a back cut t66 rear wheel.

Re: calder - I just came back from heathcote...  Ran it up in full street trim and i'm very happy with the results :)

matt

and the results were.......???

12.38 @ 123.45mph... That was run on my azenis st115's (not semi comps)...

60ft time was a shocking 2.35sec, and I couldn't stick the boot in till after I'd got into 3rd either :(

I had a set of nitto's to run on, but turns out the rims they were put on didn't fit under the back of my car, so I had to run in full street trim...

With those nitto's on the back I think I would have quite easily done a 11.6ish pass at 125-126mph... Oh well, there's always next time :P

matt

Cheers mate, I'm stoked with the times... I just wish those nitto's had have fitted... Although I guess it's still nice to have a time in my bag which is "full street trim"...

My final run for the night was going to be the quickest, but on the change into 4th the clutch decided to give up, so I had to pull out early... With a new clutch, and those nitto's, hopefully I'll see 11's on the next outing!

First run was a 13.1 @ 119mph, and all the rest were high 12's @ 121-123mph.

BTW - I can't praise the guys at heathcote enough! They even offered to help me fit the nitto's onto my normal rims to get me going - if anyone's keen on dragging - that's the place to go.

perhaps SAU should organise a drag event there?

matt

hey dudes,,, i made that hard decision on pistons a while back

i did alot of research and decided on ARIAS forged pistons,,,

bonuses:::: much less thermal expasnsion that ross wiseco or je

Bigger ring lands

bigger company

nicer box they come in,, lol

nice to see you around menios and you got your car hammering

meggala

I might have to get out the matt and check it out I have heard good things from alot of people its just its a long way home if you break something

Yeah this is true - One of our guys had a clutch breakage, and as such had to get a tow truck home @ $250...

I had a trailer organised but it fell through (the car I'd organised to tow with only had a 1600kg limit didn't expect the trailer to be 500kg), so I was pretty much just hoping that nothing broke.

The thing is, you just have to go out there being positive, and if something bad does happen, worry about it then.

I had 7 or 8 runs on the night, and some of the other cars there had 10-14 runs. I had to pull out early because of the failing clutch, so you'd get plenty more chances to run than you would at calder that's for sure!

matt