SAU Community

Forged Pistons and $$

Guest INASNT

Originally posted by Sydneykid

The Japanese tuning shops (HKS, Jun, Toda, Tomei, OS Giken, APexi, Veilside etc) buy their hard engine parts (piston, rods, camshafts, crankshafts, valves, valve springs, bolts etc) from manufacturers like JE, Carillo, ARP, Total Seal, Ross, TRW, Crane, Del West, Iskanderian, Harrop etc   They just stick them in their boxes and double the price.  There is nothing wrong or inferior about buying stuff from the original manufacturer.

actually they do that but they buy a heap and they spend heaps of R&D on each to make sure they are all balanced, same weight, and test each and everyone...when they match up them they put there seal on them and sell them..there spend heaps on R&D...they couldnt just sell a set for double the price without doing some research nor would they place a seal with there name on it...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeas, but you can get them balanced & checked by any decent machine shop for a lot less! As for the std internals i thought SUBZERO have made huge HP with only bolt on's & still been reliable.

I would have thought that a set of forgies, getting the std rods polished, shot peened & crack tested, arp fasteners & balancing the engine would be plenty as long as its TUNED PROPERLY!

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by giz01

yeas, but you can get them balanced & checked by any decent machine shop for a lot less! As for the std internals i thought SUBZERO have made huge HP with only bolt on's & still been reliable.

I would have thought that a set of forgies, getting the std rods polished, shot peened & crack tested, arp fasteners & balancing the engine would be plenty as long as its TUNED PROPERLY!

Yes it would be great to get it all done, but not sure how far i wanna go.

Subzero recon they just put forgies in and short penned rods and the rest is stock on their rb25's.

Steve

If i remember Matlowth is using gtr pistons and rods in his rb25/30 hybrid and making 320rwkw without a problem right?

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by Merli

If you're making 185rwkw, you won't be anywhere NEAR the limit of the RB25 internals.

yes as steve said upgrading a few things to around 250rwkw.

what pistons u running merli?

Hi INASNT, "Matlowth is using gtr pistons and rods in his rb25/30 hybrid". I'd like to see that, RB26 conrods in an RB30 block, you'd have to get a ladder to get down the bore far enough to see the tops of the pistons and that's at TDC. At BDC the crank counterweights would give the piston skirts a nasty old clout as they went by.

Call me sceptical, but I don't think so.

Originally posted by INASNT

yes as steve said upgrading a few things to around 250rwkw.

what pistons u running merli?

I have a completely stock bottom end. Not by choice, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

It's held 280rwkw for the last year without faltering once.

It all comes down to the tuning. If you can curb detonation, the stock pistons IMHO could handle upto 300rwkw. There are quite a few RB25s with standard bottom ends out there making in excess of 300rwkw...

But don't get me wrong. I completely agree with your decision to put forgies in there, and do the job properly. You can sleep well at night knowing you've done everything to look after your engine.

As for what brand, for 250-300rwkw, I really don't think the expensive Jap pistons are necessary. Go for Wisecos or JE pistons.

Good luck mate!

Hi judd and Merli, you really have been sold on "expensive Japanese brands". Read my lips "there is no difference between the original manufacturers piston and the Japanese tuning shop piston". We have had lots of sets of each and I can assure you the balancing tolerances are exactly the same. We balance them all, regardless of where they come from.

Have a close look at any of the Japanese tuning shop pistons and you will see the original manufacturers marks on them. I have yet to find a set that is not made by one of the usual world wide piston manufacturers. Admittedly I haven't looked at every single brand, but all the majors are well and truly covered.

This applies equally to almost all other hard engine parts. They are made by the experts in the field who have the necessary equipment. When I see a Japanese tuning shop forging faciltiy I will believe otherwise. Until then, I will rely on reading the marks.

Don't get sucked in by the publicity machine.

Guest KILLER-T

$800 bux is hell cheap are they hot to touch.The best price i could get on jap pistons when i was doing my rebuild was around $2800

Hi fatz, if they are forged pistons, any brand, don't care, I will take 4 sets please. I have the cash and an open airline ticket I will fly to wherever you are in Australia and pick them up and pay you in cash.

Eagily await your next post.