SAU Community

R33 Gtst Smic Upgrade To R34 Smic - Results (video & Pics)

QRI05E

Hahaha Cubes, i eased it to 4000RPM then gave it a hit... same as the other video... She goes real well compared to many other R33's and R34's that i have raced, some with more mods then mine (EBC, PFC, FMIC) :sick: hehe

Cheers

The vid where you said a rolling start in second r34 side mount full 3" exhaust etc...

You accelerated from a really low rpm in second and held it right out. Well I couldn't hear it punch. :verymad:

I saw the other vid where you went first short shift in to second, held second out then pinned it at what looked like ~4000rpm.

n/a like is good.. means its spooling early. :laugh:

The top end looked nice. :)

I miss being able to rev mine out. Head needs to come off and that should be sorted. :O

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep i got a full 3"... Split dump ----> 5" s/steel CAT ----> 3" cat back ------> resonator half way ------> 6" Cannon

is the resonator a 'torpedo' type, straight thru? or a big ass rectangle one?

Its an off set straight through resonator so that you don't disrupt the flow... but it elimanates the excess noise....

Yea cubes, it spools so smoothly... 10 psi by 3000RPM... before the R34 SMIC it was a sudden rush of boost and nothing down low... its so much better now!

Regards,

Sarkis

i didnt think you'd get such a good result from the stock r34 smic. well done. now i am considering doing the same instead of fmic.

i wanna see what type of resonator you've got coz i have to add one to my exhaust.

off-set means it's not straight thru. straight thru would be the torpedo or bullet shaped one.

Edited by Munkyb0y

Hey Guys, the video's were recorded in mp4 format and wouldn't upload onto SAU i had to change the file extension to .mpg for it to work... if you guys try and open it into real player they will work.. or download any divx codec pack and will work in windows media player...

Just a reply to Nismo God, i am planning for big power in the future, however until i am financially ready for a larger turbo + rebuild + injectors + fuel pump .etc. the R34 SMIC upgrade will give you the full potential out of the stock turbo and setup... these SMIC's have been known to hold anything up to 14psi and 200 - 230rw/kw which is more then the stock turbo, injectors and fuel pump will ever handle... so in my opinion, full exhaust + boost control + R34 SMIC + PFC will give you the maximum and most reliable tuned power out of a stockish R33... and wont break the bank.. Not to mention will not give you any issues with the boys in blue as a FMIC would :(

Cheers,

Sarkis

BINGO! I think this type of tune is a great way to get started.

Hahaha no problems Tony!

Here is a quick vid i took tonight trying to capture the sound of my exhaust... tried getting a shot of the cannon but it was too dark... hope you like!

video_0005.mpg

Regards,

Sarkis

Edited by QRI05E

Good work Sarkis, I'm glad my SMIC helped. :) You owe me a ride now showing how well the car goes. >_<

For those wondering what difference the car makes when going R34 SMIC to FMIC:

- I noticed the car pulled harder through to redline

- Throttle response seemed to be the same, that is; there was no extra lag (or it wasn't very noticable) between stepping on pedal and car picking up revs accordingly

- Turbo lag however, seemed to be slightly increased. Meaning it took slightly longer for the turbo to give that 'rush' feeling but when it came it came on alot stronger where as it was hardly noticable before

Edited by OnGsTa

Thanks Nismoid! Always a pleasure in contributing to the increasing knowledge off Skyline performance..

Hey Andy, Yep all went well thanks and ill do better then a ride, ill give you a run :thumbsup: hahahah jk buddy, for sure we should organise a cruise soon..

Regards,

Sarkis

Edited by QRI05E

Hahaha no problems Tony!

Here is a quick vid i took tonight trying to capture the sound of my exhaust... tried getting a shot of the cannon but it was too dark... hope you like!

video_0005.mpg

Regards,

Sarkis

thanks for doing that. it sounds great. nice and deep.

mine sounds similar, but since the highlow cat there's also a bit of drone in the cabin. other's in my car havent noticed it, but i'm a bit picky about stuff like that.

here's a vid of mine.

R.wmv

Edited by Munkyb0y

Sounding good Tony! Im sure any decent resonator half way will get rid of the drone and yet maintain a deep note as mine has... I get no drone in the cabin, just enough rumble to know your driving a skyline :rofl: hehe

Regards,

Sarkis

• 1 year later...
Hey Guys, thought to share this with you... i just installed an R34 GTT SMIC onto my R33 GTST and boosted to 10psi + ECU Reset

Current Mods: 3" Split dump + 5" S/Steel CAT + 3" CAT back exhaust + Turbotech

Results: Car comes onto boost MUCH smoother & revs to redline MUCH easier.. there has been a HUGE increase in pull through out the rev range especially in 1st and 2nd gear... Dyno would be nice, any one offering a free dyno pass? lol

Recommendation: Definitely worth the upgrade if you have stock turbo... Proior to this upgrade, the car felt held back and restricted, now the car feels much freer and has noticably unleashed more power... Throws you right back in the seat :/

Note: Prior to the SMIC installation, i flushed it with degreaser/hot soapy water and i couldn't believe the amount of black crap that came out! had to reflush about 4 times before it was 100% clean... then ran warm water though to get rid of the soap/chemical residue... i then stuck an old hair dryer in one end and let it sit there for 30min untill it was drip dry.. worked a treat!

Look at the size difference between R33 SMIC Vs R34 SMIC!

post-23753-1162996209.jpg post-23753-1162996257.jpg

Here is a couple short videos while driving home tonight, its just to show the smoothness of boost and ease of rev... (excuse the bad footage due to holding my phone while recording and driving) Hope you like!

video_0004.mpg

video_0003.mpg

Regards,

Sarkis

Hey mate,where did you purchase your r34 GTT stock intercooler, I tried to find it on ebay but no one selling the stock one. By the way, I have another question here. I have r33 gtst with 3A racing pod filter and kakimoto catback but stock dump and catalytic converter, at 3000 rpm the boost is about 0.5 bar and 5000 is about 0.7bar? Just wonder why the boost is so little ? Is that normal or should I get a boost controller and what do you reckon mate? cheers!

• 4 months later...