SAU Community

Factory Ecu Re-mapping Discussion

TSL

Hey i have a whole write-up on the advanced knock features of the standard ecu's planned. The active knock retard has saved so many engines over the years.

If you get a knock code like that it will switch to the low octane maps. At light knock readings you have timing retard vs knock while staying on the main maps.

I do the same thing, copy the main timing map to the knock map, but i take about 4-5 degrees out.

When i have time i'll write that up with the ignition timing info.

Oh with the ecu's the r32 hardware is the same they just have software changes, i have run 127 maps on 212b ecu's and vice versa with no problems.

If you run an A31 ceffie by using an R32 ecu you can wire in a plug and get consult! :D

Edited by TSL

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes it does. :P

It's a shame you haven't had the chance to experience any decent consult software. Look i already put up a fuel map with a trace on it on the previous page.

The ecu does make corrections based on various sensor input.... none of which change the map points that it reads from.

Regardless, if you know what you are doing and are using the correct combination of hardware and software you will be fully aware of what the ecu is doing.

Merlin i don't have a problem with you playing devils advocate here. It's potentialy a good way to clear up some mis-conceptions about factory ecu tuning. It would however be nice if you could refrain from making statements unless you are 100% sure that what you are saying is correct. It is quite likely that there have been a lot of developments recently in this area that you are unaware of.

Cheers - Jeff

Jeff,

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here, maybe I come across as sceptical. Maybe you could point out specific things you disagree with.

In regards to map tracing using Consult. I spoke to sam (dr Drift) a couple of months ago about this, as I was writing some software to map trace with Consult, Sam had also looked into this, and he reached the conclusion that it was impossible to do an accurate map trace using consult, for various reasons. The software I was working on actually used a few tricks to get a more accurate trace (it uses the ignition timing figures as well as the sensor readouts to give you a range of possible cells).

I'd very much like to see this software you claim does an accurate map trace, and compare it to a proper map trace. Becuase I suspect it will be wrong. In any case, let me know the name of the software, I'd like to check it out. Or is this a trade secret?? And what is the commercial cost of said software? This needs to be taken into account also.

I admire the idea of creating a thread with some useful information and appreciate the time and effort you have taken to do this, perhaps I'm being sceptical because you have a business interest in this. Also there are a few resources available where you can get all this information, namely the ztech tuning forum, which has everything posted here and more. Posting locations of rom addresses etc. is pointless, if you download LiveEdit (free), it comes with all that stuff built in.....

I don't think there is anything I said in my initial post which was wrong, and I invite you to quote the parts that you think are wrong or misleading and I'll clarify them for you. I'm actually a supporter of remapping, but I also acknowledge it has it's downfalls.

Cheers,

Tim

Thanks for clarifying your position Tim, i appreciate that.

The main issue i had was with you saying that it's not possible to do an accurate map-trace via consult.

What was the problem you were having? Were you not able to get the TP calculation? May i ask if you have ever disassembled the ecu code to see how the ecu calculates its TP?

I only created this thread upon suggestion from other members on here. I thought it would be good to share peoples experiences specific to rb ecu's as there is very little rb related info on the ztech forums and it's spread all over different threads. You should also note that the hcr32 address locations i placed up included a list of tables that are not in Live Edit or on the ztech forums.

Let's face it, finding the information you are looking for on the ecu forums can mean hours of searching through different threads. I don't think it's that bad to have a collection of RB specific address and bin files and other info here in one place.

I think it would be really good if you could contribute some of your experience to this thread too. ;)

Edited by TSL

theres a lot of odds and ends u can change with a remap (such as speed limiter) that interceptor cant.

also with an interceptor, its moreso tricking the ecu into thinking its at a different load point, which doesnt suit all circumstances - eg partial throttle load, high load/low rpm, low load/high rpm, etc (though for most purposes this isnt noticable). this also means the ecu is looking at a different part of the timing map, and hence your car may be more likely to ping (or run too retarded) at a given point in map.

sort of going off on a tangent just a little bit, but what are the benefits of remapping the factory ECU over an interceptor like an SAFC?

I Realise SAFC's can't control timing, but other than that, is there anything?

Yeah sorry mate but is there anything what? I wan't sure what you meant?

Cheers champ!

Well this talk of ecu remapping has definitely spurred my intention to grab a cheap R32 GTS4 *Auto* and drop an rb30det in it running an rb26 head and push out low to mid 300's at the wheels. The plan is to have a nice little sleeper that absolutely hauls arse off the line unexpectedly.

An auto with a 2.8k stally that retains lock up +4wd + rb30 will no doubt do that. :)

Plan is to get the hang of ecu remapping and do it myself. I currently have no issues tuning my powerfc, so now to learn some real hardware level theory on it all.

I've found what appears to be a good introduction....

http://cherrypicker.tripod.com/id10.html

Map Switching.

Sorry, I promised someone this a few days ago and never got round to writing it up...

You can run 2 maps on an eprom if you double the size of the eprom you are able to access the maps at the flick of a switch so you can have a valet mode, or if you are game launch control. an R32 uses a 27C256 chip, so instead we will use a 27C512. you then have to combine both maps to produce 1 .bin file. Bin 1 will be on the first half of the eprom and bin 2 on the second half. Put them both in the c: directory and go to dos prompt and type: “copy file1.bin+file2.bin file64k.bin” you will now have a 64k .bin that you need to write to an eprom.

Once that is done you need to modify the way the ECU will access the maps. This is done by using a pull-up resistor on pin A14 to select between GND and VCC.

Map 1 will be selected when A14 is connected to VCC

Map 2 will be selected when A14 is connected to GND

Too lazy to do diagram right now..

Map switching is useful if you want to leave the car with a mechanic and don’t want them to thrash the car. I have a map with no extra timing and rev limit set to 4500…

It is debatable as to wether you can switch in the fly. I have done it with no issues but outers will tell you not to do it.

You can put the switch on the steering wheel and use it for launch control. I have also used my valet mode map for this as 4500 is a good launch rpm for my car. But my switch is somewhere hidden.

as long as you debounce the switch with a pull up resistor it should be fine to switch on the fly, theres a company in the us that switches maps on the fly when nitrous is engaged, and theres been no dramams with that.

Edited by midnight

I am using a consult cable and datascan at the moment but am not 100% if the addres I am using for map trace is correct. I am using 0x1484

Can anyone confirm this is correct? and if not list all the relevant addresses.

Yes, R32 The A31 has gone and I have missed it ever scince... best sliding car ever.

Thanks Jeff. I was using 1484 and it was tracing something but god knows what.

Will give it another try tonight.

Do you use consult cable + software to trace or do you have an emulator that is able to report wich address is being accessed?.

I am in need of about 3 serial ports on my laptop. 1 for temp logging, 2 for consult and 3 for wideband. I will be trying a PCMCIA to serial converter to see how reliable it is. Also damn laptop can not power my eprom burner via USB so I need an external plug pack.

It's really great having all this info in one place.

Like you mentioned before it would be good to have some webspace to host software and .bin files

Anyone feel like donating some space?

Edited by CEF11E