SAU Community

Roadworthy?

Tw1st

Sorry if this is a really basic and newb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

I'm possibly days away from buying an R33 GTS-T, just in the negotiating stage, anyway, the guy I'm buying it from doesn't want to include the price of the roadworthy in the sale.

I would rather that it was included, so that I don't get hit with an unknown/unforseen high cost after the purchase of the car.

If I end up having to pay for the roadworthy, I was just wondering what gets checked in a roadworthy?

So I can semi-calculate what could be invloved.

Thanks in advance,

Ollie

if you do a search in general auto and the state you live in im sure you'll find some answers mate

For a quick answer... you can never tell how much it'll cost to clear a car for a roady. I had one that cost me $1000 once. If he doesnt want to include one, its because he knows it wont pass and he cant be arsed clearing himself. Its now up to you whether you want to take the risk or not.

best of luck

Edited by ctjet

Thanks for the reply mate. I really want it to be included in the price, he's under a bit of pressure, so hopefully it can go my way. Then I might really feel like a part of this community.... as a full blooded Skyline owner!

Thanks again.

Ollie

If he doest get one, just make the sale of the car conditional to a Roadworthy Inspection (make sure you write it all down in contract form)

And put a figure in, like if RW repairs cost more than $200, he gives you back the deposit or something like that.

If you both sign it, you wont have an issue

If he doesnt wanna get a RW, you'd be able to get a couple hundred off the price anyhow.

But definately make sure its part of the agreement as something major could be wrong.

Thanks Ash, I'm gonna make sure it's part of the purchase price, I don't want the hassle.

He's under pressure, so I'm sure it'll work out my way. Thanks for the advice though.

Ollie

DO NOT buy it without knowing whats wrong with it, from a trusted mechanic. get your own RWC done, if hes supplying it it could be dodgy, which is what it sounds like..

Places that give out R/W/C want to keep their license......none give out dodgy ones anymore.

As for the car you are thinking of buying....don,t let your heart get in the way of your pocket.

Get it checked out ...with a compression test aswell.

If it checks out....then negotiate.

Leave a deposit and write on a letter , stating purchased on subject to inspection.

Cheers

Places that give out R/W/C want to keep their license......none give out dodgy ones anymore.

hmmm... thats not entirely true. Still plenty of places in Melbournes north that'll give out dodgy's. A lot of workshops will let petty stuff pass with a little encouragement aswell.

I concur.

The last 2 "proper" roadworthies that I have been supplied with were totally dodgy.

One of them even wrote the wrong year on the rwc.

It certainly made things interesting when I took the paperwork in to get the vehicle registered.

Does anybody know a place to get an inspection in or around Campbellfield?

RACV will only inspect it at their inspection bay in North Melbourne because it's an import.

As the guy lives and works in Campbellfield, he is unable to get it there for a full day.

He is available all weekend, or today if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds dodgey. Get the checks, get the RACV.

Make sure it goes up on a hoist and check over. You don't want a dodgey skyline. When test driving I tried some that seemed so nice... but were ridden with hidden issues and others were just crap haha.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

On advice from a member, I had the car checked by State Roads today, who did a very thorough job for $164.

They found the Engine, Gearbox and Diff were in great condition and very smooth.

But the car had been in 2 accidents in japan with dodgy repairs... so saved myself a lot of money!

Thanks again