SAU Community

No Compression

not2.5 r33

hey guys ive got engine probs im no mechanic but have a basic understanding i was driving along at 100km on the highway and my car just died i acellerated abit and it backfired now it wont start and it sounds like the starter motor is just turning over freely we pulled the cam covers off and they r turning we checked the marks on the crank and cam pulleys and they line up theres no compression on cylinders 2 and 4 and im stuffed if i no whats happened

a mate whos mechanic had a real quick look at it and said he thought the cam had jumped a tooth or slipped but there doesnt seem to be any evidence of this yet.

does anyone have any ideas?? cheers

bent valves, if compression on 2 and 4 is low then rings, if it reads nothing then im guessing it has indeed jumped and the valves have hit.

Take a spark plug out and look for marks on the top of the piston where the valves have collided, thats after you do your comp test that is.

it wont have jumped 1 tooth either probably a few for it to do that.

ok guys thanks, also with the cam pulleys the stock ones the right hand side is adjustable but im wondering whether the left hand side is? and is the left hand side prone to jumping at all. once ive figured this out next step is removing the head.

cheers