SAU Community

Rb20 Into Wat Car

simor32

hello gentlemen, my mate is buying my rb20 off me and he wants to no wat car he can put it in that will go in without much fuss.

heres wat i thought would be good, but correct me if im wrong.

datson 1200

gemini

there the only two i can think of, if anyone has any other ideas would be great

cheers

vando :)

RB motor into a datsun 1200 or a gemini not much fuss?? ;)

Easiest car to put it in (other than a Cefiro or something) would be a VL <smirk>

I guess he is wanting to put it in a smallish car and have a pocket rocket? LJ Torana :)

my mate has one in his torana, just simple mods, 3' turbo back exhaust, front mount, 12psi of boost! and faaaaarrrk does it haul arse

kingy how was it, $$$ wise, was it harsh on the pocket. dnt mind spendin the money but not a ridiculous amount.

luvin it simmo. its goin real nice now its done the first 1000km.

did you find a 25? lucky bugger. you are gonna love the extra torque. my mate just spent a fortune on his rb20 trying to make it quick, and it is, but you just cant get the torque.

A mate has an RB25 in his LX Torana, it's running and driving but has been off the road for the last 7yrs, just getting the suspension sorted. The car has upwards of $30k invested in it and now he wants to sell me the 25 and put a v8 back in it!

If it's only an RB20 though I think you would be better off going with the LJ, they weigh slightly over 1000kg and would go like a shower of shiz with an RB20 in it.

Depends if you want one licensed or not.. I had a rolling shell in my driveway that was in the perfect condition to start a project on (interior was fully stripper, body was half prepped, needed some weldeding still) sold it to some random for $300 because I needed the room (had just bought the R32 ;)).

Just remember that it's going to be an old car and will probably be a bit rotten, unless you can find one that someone has already put the effort into. Either way, they're a nice simple car to work on and they pwned Bathurst with a 170kW 202, drop an RB20 in it and get some nice suspension (I think Pedders did my mates' sis' LJ for a lot less than $1000 for full race shiz) and it will pwn.

Edit: when it comes to old Holdens, the Quokka is your best friend :)

Edit#2: ROFL quick look on quokka.com.au and I found this..

TORANA LJ GTR, turbo charged, in storage for 25 yrs, ex Wanneroo race car, lots of XU1 options, 14" mags, over $12,500. Mrly. 0419-445-532

But this is probably more suited..

Torana 1973 lj 2850, 4 door, straight 6. running condition, un-licenced. $900 ono

If you want a 2dr then start jacking the price.. even a good condition licensed 4dr is going to cost a few grand.

Edited by bubba

yeah man spendin 10k all up already got other mods on my car already so the rest can be spent on turbo ect. wat the plan for the 26.

yeah 10k is what is spent all up. that got me some second hand 18's as well though.

Im now regretting not just using a 25 and spending the remaining money on aftermarket turbo etc. it think that woulda given a higher HP figure for the same price, but it all a big learning experience.

not too many plans for the 26 for a while. just another tune on the microtech so its sitting on 340rwhp and gettin better fuel consumption.

Back on topic: as someone mentioned above, old s13's are gettin cheap as. from what ive heard there isnt huge dramas gettin rb20s in them. that would be a screamer.

I have heard a couple of people say they handle like a boat with more weight forward of the front wheels.. but I have never driven an RB powered silvia/180 so I can't really say.

You know in Japan they race Supras with 4cyl's in them? Wayne Gardner actually drives one (or did) out of Tom's garage. Anyone ever thought of putting an SR in a skyline?:D I've seen a Gen3 in an R33 at last years Ford vs Holden show, now that's class! 400rwhp 5.7L v8 in an R33 :D

hey simor32, he bought a 32 half cut with all the wiring loom and everything, basically he had to gut the whole torana and prep it cause it was an old car! He did all the work himself so wasnt to expensive! Suppose if you got someone to do it, it would cost heaps...though if you can do yourself i would!