SAU Community

4wd Beats 2wd

Adz2332

Does u guys 2wd cars struggle against the 4wd cars? wspecially over short distances and off the line? And seeing as the car i choose to buy wont be dragged down the 1/4mile much, if ever, just at the lights wouldnt a 4wd kill a 2wd?

Edited by Adz2332

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hypothetically, on the streets it might be easier to cleanly launch a 2wd skyline over a 4wd wrx. Those of you who've driven rexies will know what i mean.

there are many ways to put power to the ground in regards to losing traction. as for the initial question, its quite obvious. best bet is to read up on forced induction/general section etc etc to understand bout skylines more.

im assuming so, my RWD r32 is hard as f**k to control the rears in a normal hard launch without slipping my clutch, and then in 1st past about 5k the rears start lighting up and then about 6.5k-7k in 2nd they start spinning again. so yeh some AWD action would be nice for dragging but more importantly through the hills the attessa AWD is handy as fark.

AWD should definantely be much better off the line, but it does depend somewhat on the system being used & how it is biased.

Some cars have their AWD biased too far to the front or back to be as effective as they should be.

I've heard R32 GT-R's can have some issues with the clucth pack not engauging fast enough to drive the fronts, where as 33 GT-Rs have no such issue due to them having a system set up with constant torque split front to rear.

What rubber you use with the RWD will also have a great affect on how well it grips, as well as suspention set-up, differential, gearing etc. There are a lot of gains to be made over the standard set up, all a matter of how much $$$$ you have.

Drag racers still use rear wheel drive only (yes their tyres are massive slicks, but everything's relative) & most supercars are still only rear wheel drive (The Bugatti Veyron & Lamborghini's are the only ones I can think of that are AWD, the rest are all RWD), so there has to be something in that.

Watching the guys with GTRs at the drags getting them off the line, they need big rev launches to take off fast otherwise they bog down.

Your posts seem to focus a lot on street racing - beware that in SA the first offence is 2 days without your car and a court date, second offence is 3 MONTHS with no car, and on the third offence they can legally sell your vehicle.

Well yeh mostly a 4wd will eat a 2wd of the line, but the other thing is its easier to break parts in a 4wd and there more expensive to fix. You really need to concentrate on how the car handles and performs over launches. If you wanna drag (legally) then do your research in whats good for that, but i mean if the car is going to be driven on the street then launching is usless as above street racing is a big no no.

hahahaha does a bear shit in the woods? well not if it's a zoo bear! wahahahaha

well clearly having 4wd is an advantage on take off because unlike rwd if the rear slips they have the fronts to aid!

but yeah drag cars use rwd because more power is concentrated on 2 wheels instead of four! but on the topic of supercars like lambos and ferarri being rwd is because the fr layout is more balanced! a good example is the 350z! the gtr proto chassis and rigidity layout is based on the 350z!

AWD should definantely be much better off the line, but it does depend somewhat on the system being used & how it is biased.

exactly, AWD's need to be setup right to get the right effect. to have 4 wheels being driven means more driveline which means more power loss by the time it gets to the wheels. If u have 4 wheels being driven for no reason its just a waste of power really, hence why the Atessa system is great, the power loss is only from 2 wheels being driven until the torque is too great and they start slipping and the fronts activate meaning minimal loss of power.

but u have AWD locked on the whole time and its a disadvantage to the RWD when the AWD grip is not needed and power is being wasted through the extra driveline.

Drag racers still use rear wheel drive only (yes their tyres are massive slicks, but everything's relative) & most supercars are still only rear wheel drive (The Bugatti Veyron & Lamborghini's are the only ones I can think of that are AWD, the rest are all RWD), so there has to be something in that.

AWD on the top drag cars isnt needed and would be un-needed weight and power loss. When a top drag car launches there is hardly any traction at the front due to the shift in weight, so yeh its not really needed.

also on the supercars, lol i remember them talking about one of the AWD supercars and saying they cant launch as hard as the RWD equivilent as the torque and force is just too great for the driveline.

i think you will find that all GTS-T skylines have a little problem called traction off the line...

apsecially with more than standard power. 4wd or front power assist clearly counters that problem.

Driving style and skill also play a large factor, as will quality tyres.

If you cant put down around 230rwkw without loosing traction you need to improve your skills.

a 4WD skyline is quicker than 2WD skyline with simillar power if they are launched correctly, but the 4WD will be harder to launch. (just look at the old group A races, the skylines would usually blitz the others off the line, but when they messed up they were eaten by the rest of the pack.)

Does u guys 2wd cars struggle against the 4wd cars? wspecially over short distances and off the line?

u own a GTR dont you?

you should pretty much know the answer..unless u don't really drag/take off fast @ the lights

lets put it this way, if all the variables are the same (street legal tires, and are same car like a gts-t and gts-4):

RWD vs AWD

both have 100kw at the engine and weigh around 1 and a 1/4 tonnes (the AWD system would weigh more)

RWD wins from having less weight and less power loss through the driveline and since there isnt much power traction isnt much of an issue.

RWD vs AWD

both have 300kw at the engine and weigh around 1 and a 1/4 tonnes etc etc

AWD wins as traction is needed and even though it has a bit more power loss and weighs a bit more

AWD winns nisskid 100kw analagy the AWD(gts4) will still get away first but by 2nd gear the gtst will be almost passing it

attessa drive trains are good fun

andz69 - you ask sum1 about there GTR you cant even compare them on the road against other road users cause there basically a supercar

lol, does that mean my Stagea is a supercar too?

well, it is too me anyway!

This is my 1st 4wd car, had rwd cars and bikes and fwd cars, but I dont think Id ever go back. The awd attessa traction is fantastic - pity my car is so heavy tho (oops, soz thats the driver not the car!)

:ninja:

AWD winns nisskid 100kw analagy the AWD(gts4) will still get away first but by 2nd gear the gtst will be almost passing it

nah it wouldnt, not enough power to be having heaps of traction issue, the car will bog down more on launch with more weight and driveline loss.