SAU Community

Spray Touch Up Paint For Rims

letemlaf

I have a set of advan racing rims that are chrome and im going to spray them black with a red rim.

I was going to use dupicolor they have paint designed for wheels.

I was thinking about using a touch up paint the same colour red as my car for the rim, then just using the duplicolor clear coat to protect. Do you think id have any trouble doing it this way?

ah thats good news then, wonder how it will look

For instance when i'm doing touch ups/repairs, using the correct colour code makes it indistinguishable from factory.

Dupli-color for wheels is a bit of a scam, it's the same dupli-color they use for their regular automotive panel paints.

For instance when i'm doing touch ups/repairs, using the correct colour code makes it indistinguishable from factory.

Dupli-color for wheels is a bit of a scam, it's the same dupli-color they use for their regular automotive panel paints.

lol really

Oh well i guess ill just buy the regular stuff tomorrow then :D

Well besides the fact that they sometimes come in different colours (e.g. chrome, shadow chrome, etc) but for regular colours it's true.

Gluck, show us some pics when you're done mate!

btw. if you're covering large surfaces, not just spot repairs, then you may need to spray gun. And if you have any heavy rashing, use a metal file and grind it flat... and then use a metal reinforced putty.

Edited by Howie

Gluck, show us some pics when you're done mate!

btw. if you're covering large surfaces, not just spot repairs, then you may need to spray gun. And if you have any heavy rashing, use a metal file and grind it flat... and then use a metal reinforced putty.

yeah i will do.

Its a 3 twin spoke wheel with quiet a dish so i thought i may have some trouble spraying where the spokes go right into the dish coz its quiet narrow, any tips for those area's?

Cheers

I'd sand and prime the rim first. Then mask the outer rim, and spray the insides black. Allow to completely dry, and then mask off the inner area, and spray the outer rim in red.

You can allow for a bit of overlap where the spoke joins the outer rim, so little more black around 5-10 mm where it joins. Then when you goto do the red it should almost look seemless. You might want to finish this area up with a fine brush.

Edited by Howie

I'd sand and prime the rim first. Then mask the outer rim, and spray the insides black. Allow to completely dry, and then mask off the inner area, and spray the outer rim in red.

You can allow for a bit of overlap where the spoke joins the outer rim, so little more black around 5-10 mm where it joins. Then when you goto do the red it should almost look seemless. You might want to finish this area up with a fine brush.

thats great, thanks for the tip