SAU Community

Exhaust Help

Tangles

The idea of a resonator is to cut out drone at specific frequencies/revs. For example, With my mazda i got an exhaust system with a resonator set for the rpm the car does at 60kmh and 100kmh. You'll find that normally your freer flowing, noisier exhaust that certain rpm wil drone and resonate through the car more than others. Go to your exhaust shop and let them know what RPM your car sits at when ur cruising and tell them you want that quietened. and they will give you a resonator for eg from 2200 to 2800rpm. What this did was give it a sporty note, without droning while you cruise.

Brand names typically have more research and development to create a higher flowing exhaust, without the noise of a cheap and nasty.

I understand the theory of a resonator but in practice on a wagon they just dont do enough. The system they first put on mine was one they said worked well on skylines (R32-34). I previously owned a silvia and had a similar system put on that (by the same company) and had no dramas with drone. However with the stagea it seemed like the drone was increased around 2000rpm.

The difference after the resonator was replaced by a second muffler was unbelievable.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can tell the difference when you swap the xhaust from a std to a 3". Go at least 3" for the exhaust system. Your arse will feel the difference when driving it in terms of the power gain LOL!

ya know

i had a straight pipe 3in all the way back

then i put the factory catback on. and my car felt liek a honda..... horrible