SAU Community

Car Crashed, Mechanic Evaluation, Insurance Inspection, Me Scabbing Shit, Towed...

Blue Dynamite

Some lady rammed into my brothers car, causing a writeoff between the two cars.

Through our insurance we took the car to a mechanic or whoever to determine whether it was a write off. It was.

Then the insurance company came by and inspected it themselves.

Now it's supposed to be towed away soon and I've just been taking stuff from it; extractors, alloys, stuff that I believed would be undermined by the tow-driver/wreckers.

I want to sell the engine now, is that ok? Or does that go against this process drastically?

What am I allowed to do?

Conclusive and quick replies are greatly encouraged considering we have this weekend to get the engine out if we do.

Cheers!

Rick.

Edited by Blue Dynamite

What ever you take off, you will have to replace with a stock item. These also cannot be a mod that is on your insurance cover. eg cd player and sound system value $2,000 . insured value $2,000 on insurance note. you will have to buy those back by buying the wreck before auction.

good luck anyway ;)

Well, the extractors aren't listed on the mods form, the alloys however are. They're just 14inchers with 185's on them.

I didn't think it'd be much of a deal considering; once the car is assessed by the insurance company, they determine a payout figure and what happens after that doesn't have much to do with them. They just called someone to tow it away.

Like when my fishing rods/reels got warped on ash tuesday at louth bay the other year it was covered under our home insurance and i kept the trashed gear. I always thought that when something gets auctioned it's basically just someone else cleaning up the wreck on behalf of the company. Of course, it would be organised but I want to know what the inflicting details are specifically.

I think if you had a $2000 stereo system, sure that's invested into your cars' worth with the insurance, but that's because if something happened to it it would have to be replaced at the cost of $2000. If your car is written off then the perspective value on the stereo changes, it has no worth because it's apart of a car that is deemed to have no worth and therefore any value subsiding from it purely co-incides with the acts of whoever gets to it first and not the claim 'unless specified otherwise'. Of course this is my own logic and my reason for starting this thread relates to my unfamiliarity with the conditions of the claim, I'm just afraid to ask about it out of causeing suspician if it is the case that what i am doing is wrong.

do you mean confilcts with salvage

yeah i would imagine but its you replace parts that youve taken wouldnt be so bad swap rims for steelies

The extractors are still out of the car & the car is without a battery. The car has bluey and r31 steelies on it with boldish tires on it but my friend reckons it should be fine. Hope this doesnt affect our claim.

Neways it's too late too do anything about it seeing as the car is being picked up tommorrow at 8:00am. I stacked the boot with heaps of crap like bent wishbones/crossmembers, shredded tires and other garbage. Hopefully we have no hassels with that either.

Cheers for the advice people!

I'll tell you all how it goes...

Rick.

Yeh will be interesting to see if they say anything! Because as i see it, they paid you out, which really means they have bought the car from you, so therefore they(Insurance Company) own the car, this means your technically stealing from them!
Well they haven't actually paid us out yet, so we'll see.

I honestly doubt the car would've gotten more than $200 in an auction even with the alloys, just because everything else in it is so shit. Elizabeth U-pull will probably get it and they've gotta pay their drivers to pick it up, so if there is any difference in the amount the auctions flog it off for, then I doubt it's more than $100. Which is nothing any insurance company would bother screwing us over for, especially when considering that part of our payout probably pends on how much money they get from the shell in the auction.

if it is a right off you can ask for salvage rights. this happenned to my old skyline when it got burnt out. the insurance payed me out and valued the car at 100 so i baught it back and striped and sold the parts. If the insurance check the car they would have taken photos and if they compare them to when the get the car you will be stuffed. sad but true.