SAU Community

Hi guys,

I just wanted to find out what kind of fuel usage your getting out of the non turbo's. I used to own a non turbo R33 about 5 years ago and after owning 4 turbo Skylines I was thinking of going back to a non turbo R34. My non turbo days were so long ago that I can't remeber if it actually used less petrol than the turbo's.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to find out what kind of fuel usage your getting out of the non turbo's. I used to own a non turbo R33 about 5 years ago and after owning 4 turbo Skylines I was thinking of going back to a non turbo R34. My non turbo days were so long ago that I can't remeber if it actually used less petrol than the turbo's.

it would use less fuel - but u will be missing out on performance

my girlfriend gets around 350 - 400km on a full tank? is there something wrong there? its a 97 gts-t.

(well it used to be turbo but she had to get the turbo removed - government restrictions.. but its going back on real soon!)

my girlfriend gets around 350 - 400km on a full tank? is there something wrong there? its a 97 gts-t.

(well it used to be turbo but she had to get the turbo removed - government restrictions.. but its going back on real soon!)

that sounds about rightish for a low compression na...

mine used to get 500+ easily... lately around 470, but its running rich and going into the mechanic soon.

Off boost at a cruising speed, a turbo car will generally be more fuel efficient than a NA car. OEMs tend to gear turbo cars to use that extra midrange torque.

Keep it off boost, and it'll be doing a lower RPM for that speed.

Of course, once you get up on boost its a different story.

mate, of course they do.

my best is 657Km's from 58L before the AAC valve decided to not play the game anymore.

Through this year the fuel light would come on between 510-520Kms and I would get between 110-120Kms (with the light on) before I would even look to fill up.

Your probably wondering how I have such high numbers? It's highway to work and back everyday and my car is still stock, well for the moment it is

Just don't bring the thing on boost!

My turbo R33 with exhaust, FMIC, a couple of other small things, will do 460km, and used 54litres,

Mind you, there was MANY a time I hit redline pushing 12PSi down it's throat, but alot of cruising off boost also.

Keep it under vacuum, use the natural "pull" of the motor, and it'll cruise efficiently, generally, when the car goes to "take off" after a couple of seconds, roll off the throttle slightly, or upshift. I keep mine below 2500 RPM for fuel economy. Otherwise, give it aboot full!

If worried on fuel economy, buy a 1990 Barina/Swift, drive it daily, get a hypo liner for the weekend warrior work.

I do about 13.5L/100k, the first time I filled up after my sparkies change.. i'm like 14.7L/100k.. no idea why.. I'll keep checking =)

it translate to about roughly 380km to 50L of petrol

maybe I should change my O2 sensor as well? wonder how much it'll cost..

cheers

o2 sensor will set you back $120ish for a direct replacement NTK one.

and about $50 (roughly) for a falcon el one, which you have to splice some wires etc.

i just replaced mine last month and sorted out an o2 sensor earth grounding issue... will update with proper km per L figures soon

maybe I should change my O2 sensor as well?

Make sure you do an O2 sensor diagnostic on your ECU first. I originally thought that my O2 sensor was a dud (poor economy), but after testing it i found it to be fine.

any hints on how to do it? =)

cheers

http://www.skylinesdownunder.com/forums/sh...light=ecu+codes

Theres some info if you sift through that thread. I found I could more accurately monitor my O2 sensor using my new consult cable (gives voltages) but this should still give you an indication if your o2 sensor is porked.