SAU Community

In my NA R33 with the only mod being a 3" catback exhaust, i was getting 430-460km per tank (bout 60-63L)... translates to around 13.9L/100km

Oh, and I drive with a very heavy right foot :(

Edited by Samon

• 1 month later...

alright guys...

my fuel consumption has gone up shits creek over the past month or two.

doesnt seem to vary much from city to highway.

with aircon off i am getting around 400-450km till when the lights come on (so about 50L).

aircon on definately around 400km'ish to when the light comes on (50L)

o2 sensor has been changed (NTK) less than 2000km old

has coby extractors, 2.5" catback exhaust

shifting around 3-4000rpm

my theory is that with summer around it's not going to be too good for fuel economy.

i am also running 235 front tyres and 255 rear tyres, more power required to get off the line.

this roughly equates to 11-12L/100km (which is reasonable) - but i am just reminiscing about the days where i'd get 550-600km till the light comes on.

i am running a little rich, any ideas on improving fuel economy?

- bar running stock exhaust etc.

- safc + tune?

- running narrower tyres

anymore brainstorming?

cheers

eug

wat does tyre section hav to do wif getting off the line faster?

dont they provide more traction?

wider tyres = heavier upsprung weight = more power required to drive them = more fuel...

i'd expect that the fuel required wouldnt be that much noticeable.

however 255s are a big step up from the standard 205s

haha.. definately not Reggie. I will give that a go - although i'd expect the gains to be marginal?

Everyone loves a quick squirt every now and then, but I would consider myself fairly tame whilst driving out and about.

anymore ideas?

I've just had my timing belt changed earlier than required, along with a major service.

Nothing was really spotted, fuel pump wasnt changed (yet), water pump isnt changed (yet) either.

Injectors aren't leaking, and I run 98RON premium.

I get around about the same fuel economy with my auto

You could try energy conserving oil (usually marked on the container). I just noticed that the oil i put into my car a couple of weeks ago doesn't comply as an energy conserving oil :rant:. Slightly thinner oil may help too eg 10w40 rather than 20w50 etc. Might pay to change your gear box and diff oil also.

Remove any extra weight - sub woofers etc.

Check your water temperature via consult or so.. don't trust the dash gauge because i've heard many stories of this gauge playing up. I think the ECU retards timing/ over fuels if its running too hot.

Change the fuel filter, both in the engine bay and in the tank. Your tank might also need a clean (i have a strange feeling that my tank is dirty)

Maybe remove your injectors and have them professionally cleaned and flow tested.

SAFC tune would help, but would be quite an expensive route. Seeing you are running 98 you can try getting your timing advanced a bit - i think its supposed to help with fuel economy as well as power but you may have to double check that.

Lightweight wheels would probably help a fair amount.

Double check your O2 sensor - even if you replaced it not so long ago - its not too hard to do. Perhaps check the knock sensors also (although i have no idea how to do this)

Thats all i can think of atm. maybe wax your car for less wind drag :yes:

Edited by Sinturion