SAU Community

Sa Rego'ing An Interstate Rego'ed Car?

beno33

Hey guys,

Im looking at buying a car from interstate, either VIC, NSW or QLD at this stage, but I have a question some of you might be able to help me with.

If I buy a car that has interstate registration, and go to re-register it in South Australia, does it need to go through Regency, or does it just need to undergo a quick chassis/engine number check.

I have check at my local transport customer service centre, and they lady just gave me a form, told me to fill it out with the purchased vehicle's information, then take the vehicle to my local police station, where they will verify that the vin number etc is all ok and pay $44 and they will swap the rego over to SA. She said it was not a roadworthiness inspection. This would be good as the car will probably be a little bit modified and I dont want the hassle of going through Regency with my new pride and joy.

But I have also heard that EVERY single car being rego'ed in SA needs to undergo a regency inspection. I cant see how this would be the case as there must be loads of cars coming in, but if a regency inspection is required, then I'll probably can the idea of going interstate and driving it back.

If someone has been through the process and/or could shed some light on the matter, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Ben

yah got mine from NSW

u do have to go through Regency to get SA registration, regardless whether your car has RWC or not, RWC is issued from VIC/NSW and has nothing to do with SA.

If you get the car registered in your name in another state. you do not haver to get any checks done....as long as the car is in the name that wishes to be transfered and has current rego, you just need to go to any transport SA office. so if your worried bout mods etc that might be easier to do than changing the mods back.

I got mine from Vic..... all i had to do was go to the loacal police station get the vin and engine number checked and take the form to the rego office and there ya have it.....

This is straight from the transport sa website:

Interstate vehicle registration

You must register your vehicle in South Australia within three months if you move from another State or Territory of Australia and become a permanent resident.

Unless you hold a current interstate registration certificate in exactly the same name as the intended South Australian registration, the vehicle must undergo an identity inspection to confirm the correct identity of the vehicle. The vehicle can be inspected at the following inspection stations upon payment of the correct fee .

If you live within a 40 kilometre radius of the Adelaide GPO , the vehicle must be inspected by the:

Vehicle Identity Assessment Station and Safety Group

7 Naweena Road , Regency Park 5010

Open: 8 am – 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays).

No appointment is necessary.

If you live more than 40 kilometres from the Adelaide GPO , you may have the vehicle inspected at

your local police station.

Please contact the police station to arrange an appointment.

or

Vehicle Identity Assessment Station and Safety Group

7 Naweena Road

Regency Park 5010

Open: 8 am – 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays).

No appointment is necessary.

See vehicle inspections for more information.

Once the vehicle has been inspected, you need to present the inspection certificate or post to a Customer Service Centre along with:

your completed ‘ Application for Registration and Third Party Insurance' form

your inspection certificate

proof of identity if you have not previously been issued a licence or registered a vehicle in South Australia

the appropriate fees . Calculate applicable fees by visiting http://ecom.transport.sa.gov.au/.

The following fees may apply:

registration fee

third party insurance fee

stamp duty on insurance

stamp duty on value*

number plate fee

postage fee (if you request the number plates to be posted to you)

administration fee, level 3

Emergency Services Levy

inspection fee.

After you have registered the vehicle in South Australia , you can apply to the State where the vehicle was previously registered for a refund of registration fees.

Stamp duty*

If the vehicle was registered in your name in another State, you will need to produce the current certificate of registration from that State when you apply for registration to be exempted from paying stamp duty on the value of the vehicle.

Mr Sniper911

I purchased one of our skylines in Qld and took it to Sturt Street Police Station for the Vin check.

got mine in gold coast and went through sturt with no problems.

i recalled that the vin check station only open two days per week.

Thanks for all the replies fellas, I'm about 60kms from the Adelaide GPO so should be right to take it to the Nuri cop shop if I decide to get one. Looking at a toyota chaser for a daily driver. Hopefully it all works out...

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

Ben

im doing the same procedure.its not actualy regency its another place around a few corners from there a bunch of older fellas look over it.im going to try go thru sturt to thoe ll just sey i live at victa.also will my plenum be anything to be fussed over???

487304.jpg

Just a couple of obvious things to consider.

Is the Pod secured?

What happened to the std boost controler? (hoses dont look right)

Remove the Malpassi Srising rate Reg and replace it with a std one.

Whart have you got mounted om the right hand strut tower (in front of the master brake cylinder)? Alarm?

Where/what has happened to the BOV, is it still a return system?

These are just some of the things I can see (a larger pic would help) that might be of interest to the MVI unit.

Im not trying to give you a hard time, just point out the things that caught my eye (and I assume they see a lot of skylines)

Edited by 4door_Sleeper