SAU Community

R32 Gtr Idle Issues

captain_jonno

Hey guys got an issue with the GTR i just purchased.

The idle isn't always very smooth.. yesterday when driving back from essendon airport (visited friend) the engine would hesitate then if you wouldnt keep pepping at the accelerator it would stall at low speed.. so then i would roll to a stop and turn it back on, but then again if i didnt keep the revs up it would stall again..

so i would leave it off for a few minutes, then turn it back on.. and the revs would bounce all around from 100-1200 hunting around.. then eventually it would maintain around the 1000revs, but wouldn't really sound right.

then again for no reason it would be fine again.. this all happens once the engine is fully warmed up.

but when its not having the idle issues or like hesitating when driving at less than 60kph then it wanting to stall.. it feels great, boosts strongly and is basically awesome.

im currently staying at my sisters place in brunswick and am planning on driving back to adelaide on tuesday. So if anyone who is in the know wants to check it out let me know :)

Edited by captain_jonno

The Idle control valve is under the intake plenum (drivers side) it has 4 10mm bolts that hold it to the secondary air system and 1 hose that connects it to the bottom of the plenum. Remove all this then you can get it off and give it a clean. Good place to start anyhow.

Deren

Yeah all the best Deren.

Most Skylines have a 2 speed setup on the fuel pump. Just bypass that by running direct fused power to the pump through a relay, using the regular pump power to operate the relay. See if that fixes the problem.

To me it sounds more like a problem with one of the AFM's. The solder joints inside the AFM's deteriorate with age and with jiggling around whilst driving they can lose contact. This would explain why sometimes the car drives and boosts as per normal and other times, once the contact is no more, you get crappy idling and stalling and basically no drivability.

Theres a tutorial on how to fix GTR AFM's. Sometimes the plugs can be a little dicky also. I just had to replace the top AFM plug with a second hand rb20 one and it works a treat. I even had the AFM repaired and it was the crappy $5 plug.

good luck

Edited by SLIPPERY

• 2 weeks later...