SAU Community

R32 Gtr And Towbars

Hi All,

I came here when the site first opened (with many other import websites), and still I've not yet got a skyline..

I've had an unresolved lust for the R32 GTR since Bathurst days...

I need a towcar for my ca18det powered Datto 1200 and I'm trying to avoid buying a commodore or falcon. Or any other locally made rubbish for that matter. With R32 GTR prices dropping, I might finally be able to afford one (for the <10,000kms/yr driving I do).

Has any of you fellas heard of an R32 GTR having a towbar fitted?

I would plan to enjoy the GTR regularly, as I'm sure many of you do. My N15 SSS is turning me into a girl...

Thanks in Advance.

dont do it

get a gtst and put a tow bar on that but NOT on a gtr

I can understand such an opinion. You are probably right. A GTST would be fine for the job.

But I am interested in any other opinions. I must admit that I've never seen a GTR with a towbar, I don't think it was a Nismo option :-)

I can understand such an opinion. You are probably right. A GTST would be fine for the job.

But I am interested in any other opinions. I must admit that I've never seen a GTR with a towbar, I don't think it was a Nismo option :-)

theres a good reason for that 2 id say... buy an old patrol or something with a good tow rating..gtr and towing just dont go together...

\my2c

I don't see the problem. There are good mounting points under the rear and I expect they will be compatible with GTSt, at least on the 33.

I intend to put one on the GTR33 if necessary to get all my cars to Brisbane, just to save me one extra drive then shift it to the auto GTS25t.

Either way, it is at the end of the day just a car and would be a damn fine one for towing.

haha yea i wouldnt bother with any gtr or gtst, if u want a good tow car get something with a full chassis, or a commodore or falcon etc

u will rip the arse end out of any skyline if u tow with it, i would almost garentee it, sound as bad as towing a car on a trailer with a nissan pulsar, they dont designed to tow

CHris...

Navara or hilux ute FTW.....tows, can have dual cab, and a tray to move parts and wheels ;)

tow vehicle of choice for IMO

lol a datto would just about fit on the tray of a hilux :( . back in the 70's in some asian country i cannot remember the name of, if u bought a datto flat bed truck/ute thingo they would chip in a free 1200 ute strapped to the tray of that truck. somone elaborate on the story. it is true tho

dont patrols have some insane towing capability?

Edited by yoshimitsu9

in the end of the day if u break a 4wd which is built for such applications, itll probably alot cheaper to fix than a GTR which will no doubt break under alot of towing strains, with the age of the r32's now id be hestitant to do that. for towing u are after torque, not out right hp.

i seen a r32 gtr about a week ago with a towbar fitted pulling a trailor

my 1st opinion was.. omg what a tossa why would you put a towbar or a high performance car

but then now that i think of it.. if ur going to be pulling a heavy load like a car around i guess a gtr would be great

i own a r32 gts-t i love the interior and the look of it way more then a commodore or falcon or any other "locally made rubbish"

so put the nice interior into a 6cyl 2.6L twin turbo... u got more then enough power to pull any load plus a skyline isent exactly a light car then 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel stear i guess it makes the gtr a very nice car to tow stuff with :( so if u got the money then yeh get a gtr but even a gts-t would be good for towing so either way its a good combo

other hand u can get a 4x4 hilux(my dad has 1) and they are great for pulling loads but for a good 1 your looking for alot of $$$$$

any way thats just my opinion

i think towbars should not be put on any high perfornace cars just not made for it and it is also a blasphemy

GTR and towbars = NO!!!

same goes with HSV GTS and FPV GTP or the like

the same as a partol shouldnt go on bathurst or phillip island etc

end rant :(

that being said with towing you really want low end torque and as much as i love the gtr it just doesnt have huge low end torque

RellikZephyr

It's amazing how simple people can be at times. They are just cars. The substructure on a 33 looks fine for towing, and I would assume a 32 is fine as well, but would check first. The torque of a GTR is fine for towing as well, you just choose a decent clutch when the opportunity presents. They will be fine for a 6x4 and a small amount of transferrable structural reinforcement off the rear cradle will allow towing a car trailer.

But then I only have about 730000km of heavy vehicle operation in the heavy salvage and repair field before undertaking an engineering degree, so maybe I'm not looking at the concept the way all you guys with all the experience and knowledge you clearly have. Towing is an exercise in balance, restraint and predicting the next problem to overcome be it traffic or road. You can't expect to drive like it is at Bathurst. Come to think of it, how many of you have actually driven much on racetracks as well?

I think there are too many people that define themselves by their hero worship of a motor car and fail to see the flexibility of the equipment. I intend to tow my race car with the GTR, because I can. The rest of you can feel free to stand in the pits and watch.

I see a clear lack of experienced opinion in this thread, and sorry to have to say it but if you don't have essential knowledge to offer a valuable opinion then you are just wasting peoples time and looking like as goose.

the pure nature of the gtr engine shows its not designed for towing

small capacity and high revving nature

sure it will tow fine because it does have decent torque and power but only once it starts climbing in revs

but for something to be GOOD for towing not just be able to tow (any car can tow) you want decent torque from idle to 3k (to get the weight moving, thats the hardest part for the car) after that any car will do ok with towing (once moving its easier to keep moving)

the gtr will tow fine cause it does make decent power and torque because its on overall good motor

other than that the reason i say no is pure personal dislike of towbars on performance cars

i dont know any of the dynamics or engineering and dont claim to

RellikZephyr

Plenty of small capacity engines tow just fine with plenty of torque. It's in the length of the stroke and while the 26 isn't oversquare it still rolls easily off the line without having to rev it's guts out.

The heavy Recovery Mack I operated didn't even get to 3K rpm so there blows another well founded opinion. 2100 was redline. 11 litres and only 280hp through a 5 speed dog box sometime with triple roadtrains hooked up. You knew how to drive or your gearbox did a lot of teeth cleaning.

So basically you base your opinion on personal feelings rather than fact and common sense. Pity. Meybe then you could say it is completely without any value then and maybe could have declined the urge to offer your highly considered position.

No! It simply shows that you can't make an arbitrary decision on the best RPM for your towing needs. Not one single engine will tow unless the gearing and clutch is matched unless you are using electric.

What I tried to highlight is the flexibility of a mere 11 litre 280 hp 6 cylinder turbo deisel Mack through a 5 speed crash box. To start and move a 70 ton triple roadtrain prime and load behind a 17 ton truck with that geartrain takes a bit of driving skill but it can be done (even with the tiny torque/ton value), and it is a hell of a lot scarier than towing a car on trailer behind a 1600kg performance car with plenty of torque/ton and brilliant road handling. Clearly you didn't take the time to comprehend that.

Back to the point for the first poster, it is fine to tow with any Skyline as long as you are sensible about your driving style (which i will assume you are given you haven't stated how long you have had the Datto and what you used to tow it) and the towbar is fabricated in such a way as to ensure the load is properly transferred through the towing vehicle. Balance the car properly on the trailer so it just puts a light load on the tow hitch, thereby preventing too much loss of front axle weight and ensure the car is well restrained against fore/aft movement and sideways especially if it is a drag car on low pressure tyres. Enjoy and ignore simple prejudices against what style of car you use to tow.

I apologise for being dragged off topic and breaking my rule number 1: avoid having a battle of wits with someone who comes completely unarmed.

• Like 1

11 ltr 6 cyl... that must make some torque (prob the reason why its 11 ltr and not 3 ltr)

might also be a reason they have very low gearing (torque multiplying)

but i can see your hell bent on your explanation so we will leave it there

no use in getting pissed off and giving sh*t to people when your not grasping what they are saying

RellikZephyr

Aaaah, crap. Stuff the long spiel. its mostly been covered anyway. Don't wanna get into the flame war (fun to read, though)

my question is: how.

I want a tow bar on my car. I periodically borrow other peoples cars for their tow bar.

I guess a custom crossmember will be needed.

The rest I guess would be fine.

Well, if your towing a car you will need to install an electric brake system (with breakaway). Legally your only allowed to tow 750kg max (gross, not load) before elec braking is needed.

www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi22.pdf

Just from my own expirience, I much perfer a vehicle thats better built for the job, e.g. Cruiser/Patrol/small truck. The old navara we used to have would sway with a decent load on the trailer, we were out in the sticks - which is less of a danger to the motoring public, but a 15 year old flogged sports car I would feel uncomfortable in - just like those old EB/EF Falcons towing caravans that make the mudflaps scrape.

Cheers

Sumo