SAU Community

New Dash Console - Pics

sky017

did mine last week. first time using a spray can so considering that im happy. how ever i fu*cked up the plastics pretty bad trying to get the rubber coating off so had to use a few (read "many") coats of spray putty before the primer. actually i used primer first but realised it wasnt filling the scratches so i stripped it back to plastic (i think). anyway i mucked around too much and wasnt too careful. hence theres a few imperfections. it'll last till i can get it professionally done though

post-30915-1170334392.jpgpost-30915-1170334114.jpgpost-30915-1170334536.jpg

oh btw, septone paint thinner works beautifully on the rubber...just pour or wipe liberally and watch the crap wrinkle up right before your eyes. naturally i worked this out AFTER i used sandpaper... :P;)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks fine mate...if your happy thats all that counts, did mine yesterday looks exactely the same minor paint imperfections.... but hey, i did it in the Kitchen........LOL....not kidding, its to cold outside in the garage over here

Hey i am the same,

Just finished mine yesterday in a metallic electric blue looks the part hey and got the thumbs up from my father in law who is a old spray painter and panel beater so i must have done it ok hey post pics as soon as i can figure it out!!!!!!!!!

hey fellas,

mine is work in progress, found a shit load of old cans in my garage so i made use of em, one looked like paint but had a sticker with "primer" on it. done the three coats but im getin the shits with the ciggarette lighter socket thing, the black housing stuck to it for the light bulb doesnt wanna come out so i shoved a tissue in it and sprayed with it on... hope it turns out ok... im stuck on colour now???????? i got a mirror image of sam's. the silver although done excellent but i thnk is too bright for interior...

thanks for all the help guys. gr8 work...

danny. :dry:

hi

my center consol was already painted when I brought my skyline but im in tha process of doing my interior in red velvetin “like pool table cloth”.tha main problem ive com across is air bubbles because of the glue not being applied evenly, but this is fixable I went and got a seringe an will inject tha air bubble with glue so it will soon be perfect. This is my first attempt at doing an interior and I will post some better pics with a non dodgy camera soon if ne one is interested. Glad to answer any questions

Jon from Newcastle

:)

post-31723-1171323817.jpg

post-31723-1171323846.jpg

post-31723-1171323880.jpg

post-31723-1171323911.jpg

post-31723-1171323937.jpg

post-31723-1171323964.jpg

post-31723-1171324122.jpg

post-31723-1171324174.jpg

I would leave it for a while sometimes its the moisture in the glue that causes this.

if no joy, pin prick it a few times and wait a day or two..... just incase its trapped air that cannot get through.

then try your siringe trick but not too much glue otherwise you will soak the covering and leave a stain, or a bigger bubble.

Good Luck .....looks mental

Heres a couple of mine in Super Black KH3....notice the Blue perspex on the Clock and A/C so that it now matches the blue LED i Put in the clocks :)

post-33724-1171360135.jpg

post-33724-1171360153.jpg

Edited by Allkiller

never thort about air being traped inside because its fabric but ur rite thort cos the glue would make it a seal.thanks for pointing that out . so did u get perspex cut or did u laminate it?it looks mad i wont et.

I used Blue perspex and cut it to shape....works a treat.

or you can use theatre lighting gel to slide in behind the panels.

Tell you what PM me your address...and i'll send you my old ones i modded with Blue gel in em. hows that.

They pop out real easy when you get down to them. Dash off again im afraid.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought i'd give this a go seeing as my white dash has annoyed me since the day i got it, I ended up giving up after sand papering for a fair amount of time and not seeming to get anywhere...did anyone else have a problem with the old paint not coming off very easily?? I can get through the first layer of paint but then theres a layer of...primer (i think) that is just being really stubborn to my sandpaper attacks :)

Any suggestions as to how I would get it off or is it just a long tedious task and im too impatient? :D

Heres a trip .. Get the plastic primer and spray it directly onto the painted surface.. Wait about 2 minutes until touch dry and hit it with some 400 grit or lower sand paper.. Watch it strip away before your eyes.. it will make the paint sticky and will come off in large thick amounts .. after you've removed most put it in the sun let it dry for 15 mins and strip the rest back with 800 grit and hit it again with 2000 grit and primer it up and paint..

Dont use paint stripper it will melt the plastic id imagine and it will also create a sticky paint ..

Just note I did it on my r34 .. The r34 paint has to be the shittest paint out .. Melts in hot weather and slight presure from a finger makes it run/smudge ..

So if it doesnt work I suggest using a higher grit sand paper (dont use a sander it will cause deep cuts to the plastic which you'll have to sand out) dont go higher than 400 grit as its already pretty sandy .. when your breaking through to the plastic change to 600+ paper..

Cheers mate

Damn, just had a quick go then and it seems to be a no go, unlucky, this particular paint doesnt seem to be as shit as the r34 paint :rofl:

I tried 400 grit, no go, i even went a bit higher...still barely penetrated the outer layer!

I'm wondering if i should just sand it back as much as i can then paint over the top its already gonna be a semi rough job because the other part to my painting is to try and fix a crack that is in my dash thats about 5ml wide. I don't even know how i'm gonna go about this, i fixed up my front bar with some fibreglass, i'm just wondering if i should attempt to use the fibreglass on my dash or doesnt it bond with plastic? Obviously i don't care how rough it will look, but its better than the sticky tape i had over it before :)

If all else fails i guess i can always get a new dash from the wreckers, i'm just looking for the easiest (read: cheapest) way out of this! I'm already missing having my line off the road :D

Edited by Chaddy