SAU Community

R33 Revs

MistR33td

yesterday arvo i was driving down gorge road, put it in 3rd and gunned it basically and it hit 5000 rpm in 3rd and sounded like it was bottoming out...happened for like 2 mins coz i kept trying to see wot happens in high revs. Everything seems to b alrite now but i dont kno...hope its nothin. can sum1 help me with this. cheers

I HAD SAME PROBLEM 2DAY....DROVE CAR 3 HRS LATER AND WAS FINE...IT WAS HESITATING UNDER BOOST WAS YOURS?

yeh it felt like the car wldnt go over 5000 revs, almost like it was pulling back..but 10 mins or so later it seemed fine....no idea wot was goin on.

It could have been detonating when it is hot.

My other tip would be coil packs on their way out and got hot.

My S15 did this for a while and it turned out to be dirty spark plugs. Mechanic was sure it was coil packs but turned out it wasn't.

I would strongly suggest chucking it on a dyno to find out what is going on asap as you could blow it up quick smart if you don't.

I have trouble in the colder weather with overboosting on the standard solenoid boost control once over 5000 rpm, when it boosts too high it's does the rich & retard trick & it backfires due to overfueling too. I the hot stuff when it's warmer it's ok. I didn't have an issue until my exhaust system was fitted. Going to be getting an EBC soon

Edited by JazzaR33

It could have been detonating when it is hot.

Yeh true that Andrew, mine was doing the same a little while ago, It's like your hitting limits early and flames were coming out the back! I needed a tune, got one and BANG all was good!

Id suggest a tune for sure!

i spoke to to one of my mates and he reckons coz my pod and catback with my original ecu, nothing has been updated there can sumtimes be a slip in the fuel and air ratio or sumshit.....u reckon this is tru?

by the way car has been fine since hope it stays away, lol

i had the same issues mate, i bought my car stock with 3 inch cat back and K&N filter, i had misfiring or detonation (more likely det) at higher rev range with the turbo being boosted to 9psi. it was fine at 7 but hated 9. So I changed all the spark plugs and that helped alot, also. I heard that you need to gap your spark plugs to .6 or something like that to increase the spark for higher boost. im going to try that next along with a splitfire coil pack system from the group buys here next week.

mind u today I have got my 3 inch dump pipe, hi flow cat and screamer pipe fitted, that might increase my back firing ill have to see when it happens, it back fires randomly at the moment after around 10 mins of drivin around when the exhaust gets hotter.

Edited by Pauly33GTS-t