SAU Community

Who Tuned Your Power Fc?

NYTSKY

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah,

I had taken my car to another workshop (in the pm I sent you!) and yeah, never ever going back there (dont worry guys, this workshop hasnt been mention in this thread!)

so I know what its like to have a place say they can do it then stuff happens, go elsehwere, spend more money and get a better job.

I guess the joys of modified cars!

took my car into CRD today to tune my PFC

mods are full 3 inch exhaust split dump pipe

cold air intake

just jap front mount,

12psi of boost

walbro pump

power fc

ended up with 212.6kw at the rears :no:

Hi all,

I read carefully all the comments and I would like to share with you my story. I own an 1993 R33 GTS-t and after 2-3 years I decided to do some mods. When I start the mods I joined SAU and read different articles and different posts. I done pretty much everything you can do to my car: POWER FC, Manifold, injectors, ignition coils, intercooler, fuel pump, etc etc. Bought lots and lots of parts on e-bay and here on traders.

I needed an tuner and from our forum I picked up Yavuz, Unigroup. I went there told him what I want and got a quote. Sounded all pretty good so the work started. As you see was more than a ..."basic tune". We hit lots of walls, and up to 200kw was OK but I did not get the really big numbers. I wanted something between 270-300kw at the wheel. I spend twice the amount I was quoted in labour and tune but the result was still not there. Here is a curve of the best tune I achieved at UNIGROUP. Yavuz found a reason for everything but I was not looking for problems, I was looking for solutions. MY WASTEGATE WAS FAULTY and he refused to spend more time on it. I went back a couple of times, charged me some more but performances did nto change.

Please look at my curve, up to 220kw, all power came quick than more RPM's meant flatter curve. Engine did not GOOOOO. So I told to myself I reached Yavuz's limitations.

I started all over as my car is just a weekend car so, I could afford to do it. Head came off, reconditioned, TOMEI cam shafts, changed intercooler (HKS) replaced my beloved Mick metalcraft, Plazmaman plenum, changed flow in engine, start looking like a GTR. Internals still standard on engine. My bad decision was that I found a mechanic that done it in his backyard and the quality of his work was really poor and even $10.00 if I payed was a total waste of money.

I took this car to John at Unique (UAS). I told him my story and .... after 4 weeks of fixing every little problem I had could go on the dyna. You guys should see what checks are done there before your car goes on dyna and what checks you get from Yavuz, than you can tell the difference.

True my bill was fat, but everything was done before had to be redone. Bolts on my manifold had to be replaced as too weak for new manifold, they start breaking. Lots and lots of other problems have been identified and fixed. Even my engine mount was broken and replaced and properly secured. Fixing my wastegate was not a problem, was just a little something for Richard to fix. I told John I will not pay if there are no performance improvements

When car went on Dyna I got a call from Ben and asked me how much power I want. He said that he can give me easily 300+. I stopped at the modest 270kw at the wheel which I think is more than enough for my little GTS-t. When you take your car to tune be prepared for other problems to be identified which no other mechanic will tell you about so you do not know about.

When car was finished I went and show it to Yavuz and he did not have much to comment on it.

The conclusion is that if your car is not mechanicaly 100% before going on the DYNA, engine will not perform, as simple is that.

I stop my story here and if there are any people interested to find more details please feel free to message me.

NOW MY CAR IS DONE....it's left just to learn to drive it ...properly. I GOT A DRAGON AND I AM NOT AFRAID TO USE IT.

Cheers,

EUG.

I've heard about your car from other people (not Yavuz). I think if anything, you have learnt about dodgy back yard mechanics and dodgy ebay car parts. Unigroup do tuning, not mechanical work. With so many things wrong with your car and no mechanical work being done, they never had a chance.

In my opinion, if you want diagnosis of difficult/weird problems, see Mark at Hills Motorsports. If you want a solid tune and your car has nothing wrong with it, go to Unigroup. If you just don't know and need the whole thing methodically checked over, UAS. Of course each of these has other things they can do/are good at. These are just the things I think they do very well.

just an annecdote of my own here. I have heard people complain about price at UAS, or even sometimes about work done etc (not everyone will always be happy), but I will say this. John is most certainly a straight honest guy and he asks nothing less of the people you work for. so I don't think I would ever hear of anyone actually being ripped off or lied to in his shop. I just can't imagine it happening. that alone is reason enough to go there. Plus he has a genuine passion for nissan performance cars, so he tried very hard to ensure his shop is at the front of the pack. I have been to other workshops before (one even mentioned in this thread) where I was flat out lied to and ripped off. and on subsequent occaisions I've witnessed them lieing to other people and ripping them off too.

anyway, I'm glad you hear you had a good experience at UAS eugene. It shows some maturity as well to realise that whilst they may not be the cheapest, at least you get what you pay for, and they deliver what they promise, which as you have learnt the hard way is worth a few extra bucks. I wouldn't be too hard on yavuz though. It sounds like there were some problems with the car that may have been outside of the scope he was working with. He definately is a good tuner, and well respected by many people in the automotive business.

Hi all,

I read carefully all the comments and I would like to share with you my story. I own an 1993 R33 GTS-t and after 2-3 years I decided to do some mods. When I start the mods I joined SAU and read different articles and different posts. I done pretty much everything you can do to my car: POWER FC, Manifold, injectors, ignition coils, intercooler, fuel pump, etc etc. Bought lots and lots of parts on e-bay and here on traders.

I needed an tuner and from our forum I picked up Yavuz, Unigroup. I went there told him what I want and got a quote. Sounded all pretty good so the work started. As you see was more than a ..."basic tune". We hit lots of walls, and up to 200kw was OK but I did not get the really big numbers. I wanted something between 270-300kw at the wheel. I spend twice the amount I was quoted in labour and tune but the result was still not there. Here is a curve of the best tune I achieved at UNIGROUP. Yavuz found a reason for everything but I was not looking for problems, I was looking for solutions. MY WASTEGATE WAS FAULTY and he refused to spend more time on it. I went back a couple of times, charged me some more but performances did nto change.

Please look at my curve, up to 220kw, all power came quick than more RPM's meant flatter curve. Engine did not GOOOOO. So I told to myself I reached Yavuz's limitations.

I started all over as my car is just a weekend car so, I could afford to do it. Head came off, reconditioned, TOMEI cam shafts, changed intercooler (HKS) replaced my beloved Mick metalcraft, Plazmaman plenum, changed flow in engine, start looking like a GTR. Internals still standard on engine. My bad decision was that I found a mechanic that done it in his backyard and the quality of his work was really poor and even $10.00 if I payed was a total waste of money.

I took this car to John at Unique (UAS). I told him my story and .... after 4 weeks of fixing every little problem I had could go on the dyna. You guys should see what checks are done there before your car goes on dyna and what checks you get from Yavuz, than you can tell the difference.

True my bill was fat, but everything was done before had to be redone. Bolts on my manifold had to be replaced as too weak for new manifold, they start breaking. Lots and lots of other problems have been identified and fixed. Even my engine mount was broken and replaced and properly secured. Fixing my wastegate was not a problem, was just a little something for Richard to fix. I told John I will not pay if there are no performance improvements

When car went on Dyna I got a call from Ben and asked me how much power I want. He said that he can give me easily 300+. I stopped at the modest 270kw at the wheel which I think is more than enough for my little GTS-t. When you take your car to tune be prepared for other problems to be identified which no other mechanic will tell you about so you do not know about.

When car was finished I went and show it to Yavuz and he did not have much to comment on it.

The conclusion is that if your car is not mechanicaly 100% before going on the DYNA, engine will not perform, as simple is that.

I stop my story here and if there are any people interested to find more details please feel free to message me.

NOW MY CAR IS DONE....it's left just to learn to drive it ...properly. I GOT A DRAGON AND I AM NOT AFRAID TO USE IT.

Cheers,

EUG.

Eug,

Couple of questions:

1. What turbo are you using? You didn't mention you changed it to make 270rwkw??? Was there a turbo change between unigroup and UAS?

2. Yavuz recently tuned a GTR and it made over 700rwhp... 220rwkw his limitation... unlikely.

I appreciate you didn't have a good experience with Yavuz and are sharing it but I just can't see how there is essentially only a cam change (already had a intercooler etc) and you gain 50rwkw.

As you can see I am a bit of a yavuz advocate :(

In my opinion, if you want diagnosis of difficult/weird problems, see Mark at Hills Motorsports. If you want a solid tune and your car has nothing wrong with it, go to Unigroup. If you just don't know and need the whole thing methodically checked over, UAS. Of course each of these has other things they can do/are good at. These are just the things I think they do very well.

I put a post up asking about Hills motorsport some months ago, I have recieved a very mixed reaction which has left me confused, mostly negative feedback might I add.

He is meant to have really good prices, but I have heard many instances where there were disputes..

just an annecdote of my own here. I have heard people complain about price at UAS, or even sometimes about work done etc (not everyone will always be happy), but I will say this. John is most certainly a straight honest guy and he asks nothing less of the people you work for. so I don't think I would ever hear of anyone actually being ripped off or lied to in his shop. I just can't imagine it happening. that alone is reason enough to go there. Plus he has a genuine passion for nissan performance cars, so he tried very hard to ensure his shop is at the front of the pack. I have been to other workshops before (one even mentioned in this thread) where I was flat out lied to and ripped off. and on subsequent occaisions I've witnessed them lieing to other people and ripping them off too.

anyway, I'm glad you hear you had a good experience at UAS eugene. It shows some maturity as well to realise that whilst they may not be the cheapest, at least you get what you pay for, and they deliver what they promise, which as you have learnt the hard way is worth a few extra bucks. I wouldn't be too hard on yavuz though. It sounds like there were some problems with the car that may have been outside of the scope he was working with. He definately is a good tuner, and well respected by many people in the automotive business.

That’s a bunch of crap Richard. The two times I've been two UAS I have been deeply disappointed.

The first time was when I was on the hunt for my first Skyline. I rocked up and saw one I really liked. It was a Series 2 R33 40th anniversary edition. I asked for a test drive. He said no and he will take me. I said fine. Halfway through the test drive, I said I really like this car....can I drive it now. He said now not unless you are serious. I said I am serious. He asked for 2 grand cash deposit. I said I would be buying the car on AMEX (i do this to get shitloads of frequent flyer points) He said not good enough. I said fine and just let it go and spoke to the guys at powerplay who treated me with a lot more respect.

Second time....Sometime between Xmas and NYE last year (06) John was in the middle of his "I had a Fire and need to sell all my shit sale". I asked if he had any split dumps for sale. He asked if I wanted stainless or mild steel. I asked, "Any performance Difference"? and he said no. He then showed me the pipe and I asked "How is the Fit?" He said perfect. Brilliant. So I asked if he was very busy and perhaps he could install it this morning and he said no worries at all. So the mechanic had a crack at it for an hour but it wouldn't fit because the 02 sensor was hitting the exhaust manifold and we decided there was no way around it. I asked John if he had another pipe from a different brand or something and we found a 2nd hand Stagea pipe that we thought might fit and low and behold...IT DID!!! Brilliant!!!! (the split ran down the opposite side)

Here comes the interesting part. The lovely f**kers at UAS charged me for the first hour of labour at $120 p/hour. Yes you read right. The dude charged me for the first hour for fitting a pipe FROM HIS SHOP, which I confirmed DID FIT out of Johns mouth but never ended up fitting through no fault of my car or my mods (I still habve standard turbo, ex manifold). All up I had to pay over $240 for labour when it should have been only one hour COUPLED with the fact that he charged me the full $120 p/hour to fit a product which I bought from HIS SHOP. John was not very busy that morning and we got along great until he showed me the bill so it's not like I was one of these annoying f**k kids that drop into shops and expect workshop service straight away.

I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THAT DODGY EXCUSE FOR A BUSINESS AGAIN.

Richard, I couldn't give a f**k if John is nice and fair to you and a few others...if he's not nice and fair to everyone he comes across that that still makes him a knob. The reason why I put in a fair amount of details above is I don’t mind if you tell John this or he reads it. Hopefully he should remember who I am or maybe he just remembers some short dude with the word SUCKER written on his forehead. Congrats to John coz I still paid him because I was in a rush to get to a pre-booked HITMAN tune which I was already late for coz of the monumental f**k up of attempting to fit a supposed “perfect fit’ dump pipe.

(Oh and BTW…I told and proved to him that I was a SAU financial member. No faken difference at all)

geezuz mate. by all means post you experience but don't target it at me, take it up with John. From what you are saying it certainly sounds like you got the bad end of that deal, but it doesn't change my opinion or make it crap. It's an opinion formed by my experience there, and plenty of other people I know who have been there. As I said above not everyone is happy. That would be impossible and I'm sure like any shop there are fvkups from time to time. All I can suggest is that in situations like this you need to comunicate your point of view at the time, and argue the point if need be to ensure you get an outcome that is satisfactory.

Anyway I'm not going to defend john or his business as anything I say would just be speculation. he can post here if he feels the need to answer your post. I have to say it's some pretty strong language for what seems like a pretty minor deal to me. a mistake even. I have had some far worse stories than that about other workshops in this thread, but in line with forum rules I wont name them less they interpret my post as libelous. As for this:

That’s a bunch of crap Richard...

Richard, I couldn't give a f**k if John is nice and fair to you and a few others...

I don't know why you feel the need to abuse me mate. You may not 'give a f**k' but the whole purpose of threads like these if for people to list their positive experiences with workshops which is exactly what I did. You might want to take a few deep breathes before you hit 'add reply' next time.

Well Richard by the way you go on and on about John and UAS I it seems that you have an attachment to these blokes. I thought maybe John was your mate or something along those lines so I associatte you with UAS. If your just another regular customer to UAS then I find it a bit weird how much you go on about them and what great service they apparently offer. I assure that i made my case against John but he came out on top as I did not have the time.

I understand now that you do not represent them and just feel the need to act as if you do. My bad...from now on none of my deep seeded hatered for UAS will be directed at you.

In Summary : UAS is very inconsistent with their service and support.

are you trying to be facetious? they way I go on and on about john? yes he is a friend of mine. so what? we race together so we share a comon interest. BUT I first met john as a customer in his shop. I didn't get any special treatment. just another customer. and I had no problems with his service.

I understand now that you do not represent them and just feel the need to act as if you do.

I have never represented them, or felt the need to act as if I did. are you trying to piss me off, or just dense? I can't work it out. The one time I've met you, you were all sweetness and light. you now you have a problem with me because a company that has nothing to do with me gave you what you claim was a rough deal.

I'll spell this out for you so you are clear as it obviously didn't sink in before. If you have a problem with UAS GO TO UAS WITH IT don't go to burger king to complain, or the post office, or even worse go to me. GO TO UAS. If on the other hand your problem is really with me (god knows why?), then come and deliver it to my face please.

Like I said Richard.....I will no longer direct any of my UAS stuff at you and I ment it. Up until tonight I was under the impression that you were associated with UAS somehow so of course I would have included you in my UAS rampage. Consider yourself off my UAS death list.

We've met? Interesting...i cant put a face to a name. Anywayz....

few detailed posts there!!

doesnt matter which workshop, there will always be somewhere bad reports.

We should all take notes, and take care when taking our car somewhere for work to be done, plenty of research should be done.

I was lucky when I got my car to unigroup when I did otherwise Id be looking at 1 leaned out GTSt....which I cant afford to rebuild....

HUH...what did I do? I hope I did not upset some people but I will try to he as honest as I can. I will reply to every person which commented on my results.

1. ABO BOB

I know Mark at Hills Motorsports. He started me up in mods. He installed me an intercooler and a clutch. He gave me the Rolls Royce of the intercoolers, Mick's metalcraft with his piping. It was like $2400 installed (just the intercooler and piping) about 3-4 years back. It suppose to be drive in drive out job. My car sited there for 3 weeks and eventualy got it back. He done dyna adjustment for installing an intercooler and a turbine booster. Came out 160kw. I still have all paperwork if you wanna see. Pipes he done look like crap, now I bined the lot and sold the intercooler on this site for $200.00. I was lucky, some one bought it. Check my postings. I called him again in several occasions but he does not bother to return calls. he could be a genious, I don't know but what is good if he does not keep his commitments? Do you need a dyna check for an intercooler install?

2. James,

I am glad you are Yavuz advocate. Yes is true the turbo has been changed, I am still not convinced that the turbo had to go as my car launch exactly the same like on Yavuz's diagram. The work done at Unigroup was good quality just was not finished. Yavuz spent hours and hours on my wastegate. His theory was that my wastegate was opening on high RPM letting the gases out. Probably he was right. UAS just opened my wastegate, clean the carbon deposits inside and reassembly the wastegate. BTW we are talking about an HKS wastegate here ($800 wastegate) not a cheap by the dozen one. Yavuz's work was good but he failed to identify lots of things wrong with my car like during his tuning my mainfold start to leak, series 1 bolts are not strong enough on that sort of power. He did not check other people work just the work he did. Tuning is a package, all have to be in unison.

SAU took mainfold off and replaced all studs and properly secured mainfold. So as a conclusion here Yavuz's limitation was not the power I was asking, it was his mechanical abilities. As a tuner he is brilliant.

3. kennedy

Hmm I am sad to hear your experience at UAS. I had my car done there after the fire. They do not charge 120/hour, their standard rate is $95.00 and whatever you say I will not believe it. Tim, John, Ben all of them make me feel there like home. I was recommended there by Luke and all was exactly like he said. I personally will not look any further than them. It is not expensive what I payed there, it is expensive because most of the jobs they have done, I already payed like ABO BOB said at doggy mechanics. I shared my experience with you guys hopping you do not have to have same experience like me.

My conclusion is that a tuner has to be first a good mechanic. It is like before you run you have to learn to walk. Please guys remember every car offers a different scenario and has its own personality. The tuner brings all this in unison, like a conducter

Please let me apologize if my posting upset anyone....

Cheers,

EUG.

BTW Abo Bob, my car runs now like a swiss ...... watch. All I have to do is enjoy!!!!!