SAU Community

R33 Misfire Between 4500rpm And 5500rpm

pommyr33

hey guys im new to owning a skyline and it has developed a misfire between 4500rpm and 5500rpm. i have changed the coilpacks and the plugs. i have read a few threads that say it happens in cold weather but mine is in all diferent temps. its only with my foot down past halfway when it hits full boost its stock apart from a 3inch turbo back exhaust and im on stock boost. can anyone give me some advice to try as its driving me crazy i cant get any power down as just as im getting the power it misses and its gone please help!!!

I had the same problem with my RB20DET. When i reached 4500revs my car would start popping until 5500revs. When you replaced the coilpacks did you use new spitfires or did you buy second hand stock coilpacks? I ended up taking out my coils and sealing them up with silicon. I also used NGK copper 0.8mm and took out my NGK Iridiums 1.1mm. Since ive done that I havent had a problem since. If you want to know how to seal up your coils and what silicon to use send me a pm :no:

Yea nearly everyone i've met with an R33 has come across this issue at least once in their time owning one. Apparently with the higher boost comes the over fueling and the plugs can't keep up with the ammount of fuel being thrown in creating missfire. I think thats correct :no: anyone feel free to correct me...

And yea the common fix was the aroldite trick and the good type electrical tape wrapped around but those links will help 100%!

It helped me when i came across this problem... came on here and got the low-down on wtf was going on with my baby... couple hours later, gapping plugs taping up sh!t and wala! no more missn!

Also a form of engine management helps a lot aswell like safc or power fc (preffered)... Good luck dude!

Yea nearly everyone i've met with an R33 has come across this issue at least once in their time owning one. Apparently with the higher boost comes the over fueling and the plugs can't keep up with the ammount of fuel being thrown in creating missfire. I think thats correct :) anyone feel free to correct me...

And yea the common fix was the aroldite trick and the good type electrical tape wrapped around but those links will help 100%!

It helped me when i came across this problem... came on here and got the low-down on wtf was going on with my baby... couple hours later, gapping plugs taping up sh!t and wala! no more missn!

Also a form of engine management helps a lot aswell like safc or power fc (preffered)... Good luck dude!

What you have said has pretty much covered all the symtoms.

On mine it was to much boost for the map sensor, i would reduce the psi and see how that goes.

There is a map sensor in R33's now? Awesome.... when did they get that?

Well thats what my mehcanic told me, that my map sensor was set at 19psi and that i was running 21psi, so he reduced the boost. ???????

On a stock R33 there is no MAP sensor, Air/Fuel is done via the AFM near the airbox. A MAP is another way of handling Air/Fuel calculations, it is not a boost control device. I think there was a simple misunderstanding is all :)

Side Note: 19psi?! Geez! What power are you making and on what turbo!? Feel free to respond via PM as not to hijack this thread.

It could just be one of your coil packs causing the problem. if you replaced them with splitfires then i could be wrong. you cannot see the cracks i found so i just taped them all up and it ran fine. I did have my plugs re=gapped to .8mm though, also could be runnnin hella rich with std ecu.