SAU Community

Garrett Gt30r Flavours

I think this is what made me think having it pull hard by 3200rpm onwards.

The start of the boost curve will happen around 3000-3200 if he is looking for that spot were it starts to have a bit of kick / pull. You need to wait about until about 3500-3600 and it should be feeling stronger there.

The GT3071R will come on boost a few hundred revs sooner but it tapers off far more rapidly once you pass about 5000 rpm. The GT3076R will definately give a more kick in the back feel when it comes on.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah 56 trim 3076 in .82. I understand now.

I can't complain about mine. Every time i think about changing (and the 52 trim 3076 disco was talking about was particularly tempting) I just can't bring myself to spend 2k and a weekend in the garage for a handful of kw at the top end and a couple of hundred rpm improvement in response.

Stick with what you have its a known. >_<

Better the devil you know.

I really doubt the 52t GT30 will be better than you currently have. In theory it should but theory doesn't always = practice as you know. :happy:

I think the 52 trim would be nice if coupled with a smaller turbine A/R but I'm not sure that a 52 trim 3037 with a .73 turbine A/R is necessarilly going to be much different to a 56 trim 3076 with a .63 turbine A/R.

Edit:

Just looked at the comp maps and it say .54 A/R with the 52 trim. That would work nice on my SR not sure if it would be as good on the RBs.

Edited by AWD2Go

Funny joke, you are joking... arent you?

If you're not joking.. Read this: http://www.bblgroup.us/ssautochrome.htm and then PLEASE change your mind!

I will change my mind based on this information. Although there have been people that have recieved shithouse turbos in the past, I know someone that has not recieved a shit thing from them yet and has rebuilt turbos and checked their internals for such crap quality in that link. The problems in that link must be the extreme worst case scenario for a bad turbo. to the over extent of crap. I am buying from Garrett thru ssautochrome but i will check the feasability of this... If what that link says happens ALL the time, then of course i would change my mind!.

Can anyone find the member on ebay that ssautochrome deals thru. I would be wanting to look at their feedback and what has happened to people, it looks fairly extreme the way that link describes it.

Ah 56 trim 3076 in .82. I understand now.

I can't complain about mine. Every time i think about changing (and the 52 trim 3076 disco was talking about was particularly tempting) I just can't bring myself to spend 2k and a weekend in the garage for a handful of kw at the top end and a couple of hundred rpm improvement in response.

BHDave What about swapping the .82 housing for a .63 housing, that would have to be a lot cheaper.

WTF? now!?

As you see at this link its wierd again, turbos for what price?

Only difference is this place doesnt seem to have such a bad wrap?

Ah f**k I need help on buying a turbo I never thought it would be this choosey and shit.

There not Garrett turbo there cheap shit things give them a big miss.

If your looking to go internal gate that changes everything.

Have a look at the comparision chart again the 5 turbo above the -12 are all internal gate but I think you will find they are T2 housings with T3 wheels.

How many bolts are in your dump pipe? the -12 has four evenly spaced bolt pattern.

Edited by AWD2Go

BHDave What about swapping the .82 housing for a .63 housing, that would have to be a lot cheaper.

Not really as i don't own the above turbo :) I have a dirty old plain bearing t300s (which is basically just a t3/4 with a small trim t04s front wheel in a non gated .63 turbine housing) I was refering to cubes earlier post.

Edit, probably should give some input on topic; don't touch the ebay turbos. Buy from a reputable supplier or spend your money twice. Those prices are way too low for me to have any faith in the product when an equivalent garrett is $1000+ more.

Edit again, If you want to keep your existing dump pipe you probably should lower your expectations and stock with a GCG or Slide highflow. You can possibly get a 3076 cartridge as in your first post grafted to a high flowed stock exhaust housing but the results may be a bit dissapointing

Edited by BHDave

I know a bloke with GT3076R 56T and a 0.82A/R housing on RB25.

Probably won't be long before he's got it fitted and running to his satisfaction.

Wait and see how it goes - I believe it will be a very handy device for his requirements.

From the pics those E Bay turbos are come in spinner junk . That last one did not have a 60-1 compressor (TO4S 60T pn 409535-1) and some unusual turbine housing .

Can buy from Garrett T3/TO4E small comp trim turbos , I think their propper name is TB31 . Back in Syd I have pics of this one with a T3 flanged IW .58 A/R V Band outlet exhaust housing . Will post it up again tomorrow evening .

I have my own ideas on compressor trims and exhaust housing A/R's . What I am aiming at is the 52 trim GT3037S/GT3076R because I don't need the 56 trim versions maximum airflow or lag penalty . BTW in ball bearing form these turbos should have .60 A/R TO4E compressor housings , you won't easily find the map of the 52 trim 76.2mm (GT37 comp series or BCI-18 family wheel) in this housing because it was a HKS spec turbo and they don't publish them . The .54 A/R compressor housing is a bush bearing OEM GT3776 truck turbo part . There is a .65 A/R compressor housing from a later bush bearing GT3576 but I'm still researching that one .

A very important point to remember is compressor covers with ported shrouds or air inlet boss . I think the slightly smaller trim comp (52T) will give me enough airflow for strong mid range torqe , the .68 A/R HKS Pro S exhaust housing (if I can get one) good response and a good integral gate vent path , the port shrouded compressor cover better response and control compressor surge .

Having driven an R33 GTST for a while now I'm not so sure 32 3400 rpm + boost threshold is a good thing . I'd really like that windmill effect the GT2860RS gave on my FJ20 and this is why having good turbine response in a turbo thats well balanced (comp to turbine flow) is important . My goal is strong torque in a reasonably free reving (and not exhaust choked) engine , I couldn't give a rats jats about kw numbers .

IMO a good strreet engine (RB25 in an R33) needs to be starting to pull from 2500 and if your lucky start to fall off in the 6-7000 rpm area . Provided you get some meaningful torque in the 3000 + range it should not fall flat on the upchanges . You'd expect to upgrade other things like porting cams IC ECU etc to achieve this with a production engine of this era .

Before I finish here using the smallest exhaust housing and the largest compressor trim version of any turbo is at complete opposites - most airflow for least exhaust flow . Not sure if this would be a desirable option with a GT3076R because the extra airflow won't be much advantage if the engine is restricted by the small turbine housing .

Cheers A .

Edited by discopotato03

i had the gt30r or gt3037 500 hp turbo with a/r .70 comp cover and a/r.63 exhaust housing same as whats on the standard rb25det turbo. and for cubes info yes 7 blade wheel. this turbo started making boost by 3000rpm and full boost by 3800/4000rpm . it made 240 rwkws at 14 psi and 281rwkws at 22psi . i had ported head , tomei poncams step ones, tubular manifold and ces racing split dump pipe to acheive this. to get 300 rwkws or come close you would definately have to go to a larger a/r .82 exhaust housing which i was told would increase lag by 500 to 700 rpm. hope this helps you. this combination was very punchy down low and a good comprimise for the street/strip. iran a high twelve second quarter mile with crap 2.2 sec 60 foot times on street tyres.

WTF? now!?

As you see at this link its wierd again, turbos for what price?

Only difference is this place doesnt seem to have such a bad wrap?

Ah f**k I need help on buying a turbo I never thought it would be this choosey and shit.

Simply put

If its too good to believe, then... it is.

For a GENUINE Garrett turbo from a Garrett DEALER your looking around $1700 or there abouts.

Anything less is going to be junk, plain and simple