SAU Community

Garrett Gt30r Flavours

BHDave and al r33 can you add to this, especially re transient boost response? Are you running internal or external gates, and/or engine mods with those setups? This whole GT3076 thing is giving lots of food for thought.

I'll start off by saying I don't claim to know as much or fully understand everything that discopotato posts, but i seem to be making a bit of headway with a lump of a turbo i never had a lot of faith in. I'm pretty certain its luck :glare: I don't have a 3076, though the wheels in it are roughly the same size, non bb too.

I bought a HKS lowmount kit second hand but the t04e was dead and so I swapped for what i was told was a T300s. As far as i could find out (this is a pretty old setup remember) the proper T300s had a .5 or .6 comp cover with a small trim T04s front wheel in it, mine had had a .7 cover on it and no HKS identification. The rest was typical T3 with .63 turbine housing. This is a plain bearing non cooled turbo so transient response is pretty much non existant compared to my old highflow. Thats the one disappointment with this setup. Admittedly though, it still makes boost pretty low in the rev range and will make 1.4 bar by 3200 on the street quite happily in 4th.

My engine has no head work, just a set of drop in hks cams 256 8.8 inlet, 264 9.0 exhaust, exhaust cam set to zero, still run stock inlet manifold, 2.5 inch mild steel inlet piping and a china intercooler that i'm thinking of upgrading to one with better flowing end tanks. The rest is typical bolt on for this sort of power, injectors, z32, pfc, big custom exhaust, 5 inch metal cat.....but i plumbed the ex gate back in because it sounded like arse.

I have really only played with the cams and exhaust since the kit was installed to get the whole lot breathing a bit better, with stock cams and an 80mm exhaust with 2 full bodied mufflers the car made 238rwkw at 19psi, I changed the cams and retuned and it spat out 268rwkw at about 18.5psi. I changed the cat back for a 3.5 with a hot dog and a cannon and it jumped to 274rwkw with the mixtures leaning out at the top end, again at 18.5psi and then tried to shut it up by replacing the hot dog with a full bodied custom 3.5 muffler and found the hotdog was falling apart. With a retune it made 288rwkw at 18.5psi. My last couple of runs are in the rb25 turbo sticky thread. You will see that I'm really starting to push shit up hill with this turbo as i wind the boost above 14psi but the midrange gains make it worthwhile i think.

Drivability down low in my car is still pretty good. It's a bit cranky around 2k light throttle. Last time on the dyno we had a play around with the mixtures and it seemed to like 12:1 in that area, but to get the pfc to do that would mean that i had adjust all the target mixtures to 12's or turn off closed loop all together. I decided to live with it as it's not that bad, i'm just picky.

Hope that's what you were after.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well unless he's getting his own housings cast and machined he'd have to be using std exhaust housings or the newer .70 A/R offering from GCG . No offense but I believe that only Garrett and HKS do propper housings for the GT30 turbine . All the others I've seen are based on the std Hitachi housing or a flange modified GT28 based housing . Plenty of "custom kits" out there but what yardstick is there to measure them by ?

Cheers A .

BTW , I hear that the Garrett Syd kit will not eventuate now . I think it was based on a GT3037S/GT3076R 52T and a custom dump pipe . It needed a spacer plate to clear the std exhaust manifold (comp cover) and unique oil/water plumbing as you'd expect . Plumb air in/out and thats about it .

Owner tells me the result was very good . I think he said the turbine housing was a Garrett IW .82 A/R .

I think that picture is for illustration purposes only I would imagine any RB pipes would have the typical T3 flange.

HPIAB have updated their site and I have just noticed that hey are advertising the 3037 and the 3076 as different turbo. The 3037 has a .70 comp cover and the 3076 (aka 3037) has a .60 comp cover talk about confusing.

30kw from just cams is a nice pickup BHDave.

Edited by AWD2Go

I've never ever seen a Garrett or HKS marketed GT3037 or GT3076R with a .70 A/R compressor housing . Both sell versions of the GT3040R/GT3082R with .70 A/R TO4S compressor housings . Garrett do make a .70 A/R TO4E compressor housing but they only turn up on Diesel turbos .

Cheers A .

Yes.. HPIA does have a strange nonstd line up there.

I've never ever seen a Garrett or HKS marketed GT3037 or GT3076R with a .70 A/R compressor housing . Both sell versions of the GT3040R/GT3082R with .70 A/R TO4S compressor housings . Garrett do make a .70 A/R TO4E compressor housing but they only turn up on Diesel turbos .

Cheers A .

http://www.horsepowerinabox.com/HPIAB2/category12_2.htm

Garrett GT3037 500hp ball bearing turbo

This is the smallest of the T3 style ball bearing turbo's that Garrett do. It has a T3 base flange and normally comes with a .82 external wastegated exhaust housing. As standard has a .70 compressor cover and Garrett dual ball bearing internals. Great for 2.5 and 3 litre 6 cyl road cars.

This unit can be supplied with a Nissan RB .63 Internally gated exhaust housing as a special order, providing a great bolt on upgrade... E-mail us about this. ** please allow 3-5 working days to manufacture**

Garrett GT3076 500hp ball bearing turbo

The GT3037/3076 is an exceptional turbo for its HP range. It features a .6 surge slotted comp cover and a complimenting turbine/comp wheel ratio, making it a great bolt on upgrade for the 2-3 litre range engine.

This unit has a lot of flexibility in offered houisings. It can be supplied with a T25 .86 internal housing, a T3 .63 or .82 external gate housing and a recent edition is the option of internal gate T3 in .63 or .82 (these units are more expensive and subject to availability at the time). Usual ultra reliability and superb response from the Garrett ball bearing design.

Great upgrade for RB20/25s and other 2.5-3 litre's looking for some serious power.

Edited by AWD2Go

One of the turbos listed above does infact have a T04s front wheel. HPIAB tends to name things in an odd sort of way sometimes. They have called the proper 56T 3076 a 3076 and the one with the T04s front end a 3037.

Check the spec sheet link on the HPIAB page you have linked to.

Edited by BHDave

Hope that's what you were after.

Yes, thanks heaps. Definitely clears a few issues I was trying to sort out in my mind.

Seat of the pants, is yours comfortable to roll on the throttle @ 2000 and expect it to just drive progressively faster and faster, or does it come on like a firecracker somewhere around 3000?

I'd take it that once the boost is in, you've got it so hang on for the ride :(

Any word from Trooper about his setup?

Who is able to build a custom spec cartridge like this? GCG?

Anyone care to explain how a compressor shroud can decrease lag like he claims? Seems a bit weird to me...

Haven't gone through the exercise of finding out. Any reputable Garrett seller would be able to give opinion and price on the job. Note I'd only ever looked at it as a way of getting that 52T comp with a matched housing mated up to the GT30 turbine. as Disco has pointed out, budget can kill some ideas.

I take it that you are questioning the ability of a ported shroud to decrease lag? If so, then I'd like to know too. Ported shroud is used to combat surge. I suspect there is a bit of bling (wank) factor involved at times though, with evidence of HKS using a ported shroud compressor on the small GT2530 KAI, which to my knowledge uses the same cartridge as the original 2530 - itself not known for surge probs on a RB.

Edited by Dale FZ1

It's happy enough to start pulling from 2k and makes a little positive pressure (remember it's in a 32 so less weight), but it really isn't doing too much until around 2800. Roll on in second gear at 2k you wont see much boost below 3k and between about 3500 and 4k all hell breaks loose. In third it's really starting to move by 3500 (if it doesn't break traction) with boost building from about 2500, In fourth and fifth it's accelerating hard from about 3100 making about .5bar at 2500 and 1bar just before 3. 1.4bar hits at 3200.

It's not really linear acceleration as you come onto boost but once there it's a great thing. It makes freeway driving easy and i'm getting lazy through the twisties and leaving it in 3rd and 4th alot more than i should. Once revs are above 3500 in any of the top 3 gears it's just a matter of rolling the accelerator on and off and riding the torque wave.

The 56T GT3076R with .63a/r turbine housing is ALL SORTS of fun on a completely stock RB25! I've got stock everything (block wise) with 555cc injectors, big fuel pump, ECU (ie, supporting mods) and have it running 1bar - I've been in a few other R33s with different setups and have to say I'd not have gone any other way.

Its making boost by 2000rpm, drives like stock around town and gets very angry at life from 3500rpm onwards hahaha.

I can have your standard RB25 turbine housing grafted onto the GT3082R CHRA and Comp. Cost of GT3082R is $1680 then you would be looking at around $150-$200 for the grafting work.

This will keep your internal gate setup so the dump will still bolt straight up but you will still need to modify the intake setup. Turbo will be rated at 550 hp so 300rwkw would be easy. Power would come on at 3200 as requested.

I can have your standard RB25 turbine housing grafted onto the GT3082R CHRA and Comp. Cost of GT3082R is $1680 then you would be looking at around $150-$200 for the grafting work.

This will keep your internal gate setup so the dump will still bolt straight up but you will still need to modify the intake setup. Turbo will be rated at 550 hp so 300rwkw would be easy. Power would come on at 3200 as requested.

Yes you can machine the guts out of a Hitachi exhaust housing and that lets you bolt the turbo to the manifold and dump pipe to the turbo . The problem is that the turbine housing was designed to have suitable gas flow velocity for the standard engine/turbo and the manufacturers desired power characteristics .

Turbines are designed to work with their matching family of turbine housings and very rarely work as intended with other types . Turbines come in a huge variety of diametres/trims/tip heights/blade numbers and blade forms . They are specifically designed to suit a turbine housing with the matching nozzle/nozzle inlet diametre (and width) and volute cross sectional shape and volume . Because there are countless thousands of variations its almost impossible to throw non native housings and turbines together and have a hope of expecting them to give a good result .

The problem exists because people want to compromise the whole upgrade effort by finding any means of getting the desired turbo onto their exhaust manifold . The original goal was to get better performance not just to hang the turbo off the engine with the cheapest dodgy means available . Doing it properly is often expensive but you can't cut corners here and expect it to work as intended . To think otherwise assumes you believe the people who design and test these things are morons and don't have a clue what they're doing . Wrong . Far more work (development) goes into turbine and housing design than the cold side because its the power source for the compressor end . Get it wrong and neither the turbocharger or the engine gets to function properly .

How well do you want it to work ?

Edited by discopotato03

Another thing I forgot to mention is like Nismoid said your typical BB turbocharger in this range costs about $1700 and upwards . This INCLUDES the turbine housing though buying them without one costs considerably less ie 4-500 . If a dealer was to supply one to you without its turbine housing and bore yours out to suit (maybe an hours work to machine and fit) and still asking approx 1700 he's doing rather well isn't he ?

Propper Garrett GT BB turbine housings are expensive partly because they are generally made of high temp materials like Inconnel or one of the other super alloys .

Cheers A .

:P

I have never seen or heard of a molested RB hitachi turbine housing cracking 300rwkw.

I have however seen the Z31 VG30DET VLT style crack 300rwkw but it was definitely no easy task and definitely not just a wack on and there's 300rwkw. Cams, plenum, exhaust manifold etc.