SAU Community

My Bosch 044 Failed Failed Today

tuitahi

My 2 month old 044 has just ticked me off.

Everything was fine until I needed to fill up yesterday afternoon when the fuel light came on, as I usually do. Put ~55 litres or so in. By the time I got home I noticed the pump was about 100% louder than usual (Which was pretty loud to start with) Thought it must be the hot weather we're having and went inside.

This morning all was fine, primed and started. Noise was at normal levels. About half way to work the noise started to increase as it did yesterday, again I attributed it to the hot weather.

On the way home the noise remained, this time it was accompanied by a great big fuel cut under load in 4th (not good :) ), a whole heap of surging and hestating to rev, and conking out twice as I limped home.

NOW, when the pump primes it sounds like its gonna explode and I'm lucky if the car will actually kick over.

I now require a new fuel pump, I'm thinking Nismo or Tomei (no more f'ing around) any suggestions?

Where can I find one at a reasonable price and in stock. Nengun have good prices but I need one REAL soon.

The walbro one I have had isntalled makes teh same noise every time :sleep: They are a good brand but so are the Boschs

My advice to you is get another Bosch and make sure its installed absolutely 100 prcent correctly.!!!

I have a walbro too,

I reckong simple if ur strapped for cash get a walbro from KUDOS motorsport online trader for about $160 delviered, its the 500hp claimed rating one.

Or

If you have the money go the tomie or nismo, i think KUDOS can help ya with that too.

And they are very quick to deliver :kiss:

Sediment at the bottom of tank. Read the warnings before installing it say's to remove the tank and clean to ensure contaminates do not clog the internal filter (this warning may have been on fuelmizer pump but it would still be the same for bosch).

So yeah buy another 044 and clean the tank before install.

Edited by BAMR33

That's exactly what happened to a bosch 040 that i had. After a hard drive the pump just became sooooo loud, then a few days later started surging. I later found the seller had been selling dodgey pumps.

Anway, i replaced it with a walbro. Easy install, very quiet, but the reviews i was getting constantly from different people really put me off.

Now in my current car i bought a nismo one, straight fit, easy as piss to install, louder than stock but not loud, but the price is almost double that of a bosch.

So if i were you i'd go a bosch/nismo, depending on budget.

I wouldn't just go blaming the seller or the pump.

If you pull a pump out of most cars, they have this filter on the bottom. It may not seem like the filter does much, but seriously, it does.

If you've ever pulled a tank out of a car that has done like 40+k ks, and have a look in the tank, there will be all this shit down the bottom.

all that sludge and shit just runs throguh the pump without the filter.

Also, with the bosch pumps, because they dot' have a pickup, they are quite high up. Whenever you run them a bit low, it dmaages the pump, because the fuel acts as a lubricant.

Why wouldnt you just use another Bosch?

After this happened I did a check through the forum and these seemed to have failed more and more of late.

Maybe I just lucked out, maybe there was sediment in the tank... I don't know yet. This 044 was using a pick-up sock and was mounted by a reputable tuner. Definately not a home job by me, but that said I doubt the tank would have been removed and cleaned... is that really a common practice?

I got one at home here if you want one urgently

I'll let you know how I get on Sidd, thanks for the offer dude!

Drew, could you please do myself, SAU and the rest of the hipo auto community a favor and not throw that pump out, but try and get to the bottom of the failure? Link below to compare part# serial# with.

Would be my pleasure! Probably wont get a chance to do anything til the weekend. But I'll definately be keeping it!

After this happened I did a check through the forum and these seemed to have failed more and more of late.

Probably because a lot more people use Bosch than any other.

Also i would think that a lot of failures are due to installation.

I dont know one person that i've ever met (using a bosch) thats had one fail.

But each to thier own

i got twin 044 external pumps (and 040 intank pump) and on dyno today it was dropping pressure after 480rwhp, assuming one of the 2 pumps is dead or on the way out and they seem excessively loud and were bought brand new only a while back (only done 1000km run in with them since new) from a online seller here and i hope the hell they aint dodgy as mentioned above.

i sent a PM regarding the dodgy seller to 180_mph.

I say direct result of consistant low fuel, i dont think you should always run the tank till its almost empty as wouldnt this coincide to the pump sucking all the crap at the bottom of the tank also making the pump work harder, not only that adds extensive wear and tear on the pump?

Do you run your engine oil until it all runs out? Why should a fuel pump be any different?

Alwell it happens, good luck

Cheers

Adam

I've been noticing people on the forums with the bosch pumps failing more regularly in the last 12 months or so. Nismoid is right about them being in a lot of cars in the first place though.

Get the Nismo one, sounds like a space ship. I want to get one just for that reason. :D

Get the Nismo one, sounds like a space ship. I want to get one just for that reason. :D

You've sold me! :) hahaha

I may still go for the bosch, I just need to get through this week and then I'll see what cash I have available, I'll try and pull out the f'd one asap though.