SAU Community

Best Tow Vehicle?

WPN_26T

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has any good recommendations as a tow vehicle to tow a car that weighs about 1500 kgs and will occasionally be used to tow a car that weighs about 1650kg. I'm looking for something not more than 10 years old. I was thinking of an AU Ford because it has a 4.0L six and it is very torquey and has a 2300kg towing capacity. I was told by a mechanic that the gearbox can't cope with heavy towwing though. Anyone had any experience towing with these cars?

If not does anyone else have any other suggestions?

thanks,

Omar

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has any good recommendations as a tow vehicle to tow a car that weighs about 1500 kgs and will occasionally be used to tow a car that weighs about 1650kg. I'm looking for something not more than 10 years old. I was thinking of an AU Ford because it has a 4.0L six and it is very torquey and has a 2300kg towing capacity. I was told by a mechanic that the gearbox can't cope with heavy towwing though. Anyone had any experience towing with these cars?

If not does anyone else have any other suggestions?

thanks,

Omar

You will find turbo diesel 4W Drives are the best for towing but they weigh much more than 1500kg .

Your mecahnic would be semi correct.

The problem with the AU falcons, is the gearbox overheats even under normal driving.

If you do an oil change on most autos, usually, the oil will be a dark brown even after quite a few ks. On the AU falcons, the box oil is always pitch black.

Just because the oil is black doesn't mean that it's bad for a tow car. I mean honestly, how often do you plan on towing the car?

They are a very powerful, torquey tow car (not as much as a diesel), but for a petrol sedan, that's about as good as you can get.

I use it to tow my boat, probably every weekend during summer. It goes fine.

If you're worried, add a tranny cooler

VQ-VS stato

Any old V8 ute

85' onwards Patrols and Landcruisers

Basically more torque the better... Large capacity is what you want. Turbo diesels are good... If you are on a tight budget there are people using VN-VP commodores without too much hassle.

Trailer design plays a big part as there can be 100's of kg's weight difference between 2 trailers that do the same job. Also it is ideal to have 80kg of downward pressure on the tow ball when the trailer is fully laiden.

tranny cooler could be done cheap as with some ingenuity..

Thanks for all the opinions guys, I have thought about the diesel 4x4 option but to stay around my $10k budget I would have to be looking at a fairly old vehicle or one with very high kms. Also I think the ford would be comfortable than a 4x4 on longer trips.

Would a transmission cooler ensure the Ford Gearbox a long and healthy life? I've also considered a Lexus LS400/Toyota Celsior. Has anyone had any experience towing with these? I hear there not that torquey for a V8.

hey you can pick up Holden Jackaroo's late 95-96 for around 9k. Both the Petrol 3.2lt and diesel 3.0lt intercooled turbo are great for towing, We have the v6 version, tows great. just a little heavy on fuel, but it is also 4wd and plenty of space for other shit. Easiest 4wd to drive also, for the size!

i'd say something like an old V8. my father-in-law used to tow his caravan to wintersun every year with a VB commodore with a stock 253 in it, and it towed it better than his EA falcon.

although a late model car will tow better than an early falcon. we towed a silvia back from brissy with an auto vt commodore (v6 with over 200,000ks on the clock) and it towed fine, so i'd say an au falcon would be fine. just stick on a good tranny cooler.

but idealy a turbo diesel would be best.

Mitsubishi Delica Spacegear

2.8 Intercooled turbo engine - Plenty of tourqe and also easy on fuel..

Inside so roomy you can get lost in there

Jap Spec - Exeed version - lot of toys - dual sun roof, A/c , rotating reclining seats...bla bla

Low Km Jap imports compared to aussie vehicles for about 10K - 11K Limit

ohh..its a 4*4 - Dhakar Rally winning Mitsu Tech....from the pajero...

AU gearboxes have issues... as mentioned previously.

We had a 92 EB series 2 XR8 manual that we used to tow the boat.... Handled it no worries - cheap car to buy and plenty of grunt. Sold ours for $3K - it needed a respray as do most old red cars! Can pick up a good quality one for under $5K.

Just from my own experience of fitting towbars for a few years, all of the above mentioned vehicles would be fine for towing. Although, Ford has always been rated as a better tow vehicle to holden... much better pulling strentgh. As mentioned, a diesel 4 wheel drive would be an excellent tow vehicle, but may not be in your price range.

AU gearboxes were known to have heat issues with heavy duty towing - this would be the likes of large live-in caravans and large horse floats.

Many towbar fitters would fit transmission coolers when fitting towbars to these vehicles, and this would resolve this issue very easily and cheaply.

Therefore, towing a car and car trailer behind an AU falcon would not be a problem, with a transmission cooler fitted as a precaution.

This is just an opinion.