SAU Community

Best Tow Vehicle?

WPN_26T

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mitsubishi Delica Spacegear

2.8 Intercooled turbo engine - Plenty of tourqe and also easy on fuel..

Inside so roomy you can get lost in there

Jap Spec - Exeed version - lot of toys - dual sun roof, A/c , rotating reclining seats...bla bla

Low Km Jap imports compared to aussie vehicles for about 10K - 11K Limit

ohh..its a 4*4 - Dhakar Rally winning Mitsu Tech....from the pajero...

Must agree, excellent if you're doing any distance. You do need a custom towbar for big loads though as they have no chassis as such. We've towed both a bug eye STi and an R34 GTR around 20,000 klms, without one hassle. Will cruise on 120-130 k's no prob with the GTR on the back. And the best things is, on long trips, the co-driver just reclines in the captains chairs and watches TV just like your lounge room. Excellent vehicle.

Just to comment on a few cars that were mentioned earlier:

VQ-VS Statesmans IRS setup isnt designed to take those loads, inside of the tyres would get chopped out quick

And with Jackeroos, if you find good one you would probably do okay, BUT both V6 and diesels have common faults. V6 have oil consumption probs and motors cost about 8K from memory. Diesels have problems with injectors (2K job to fix) and the odd injector pump (dear as) Replacement parts are deal in general for these cars.

Full chassis cars are much better as they are built a shite load stronger, like your Patrol, Cruiser, etc

mate of mine used his friends AU XR6 ute to tow his R33 on a tandem trailor over 250km!

the ute did fine, whether or not this would work for a long term solution or not is another question!

The load you're talking about is really quite a light load. Any 6 cylinder RWD car or mid size 4WD can easily hand that load. It's not until you're upwards of 2000kg and towing long distances do you have to really think about the vehicle. And then you just cannot beat a large 4WD. Long wheelbase, full chassis, heavy, torquey engines = good tow vehicle.

If it can tow a jumbo jet, your 1500kg car should be a piece of piss.

HEHEHEHE Thats pretty nuts...

When i go to the track I borrow my father inlaws 100 series Sahara V8 Petrol... Its very nice to sit in with the air con on between races and it has a fridge in the centre console for your cold drinks... The dash read out displays around 27-28litres per 100kms when towing the car but it tows it quite well... Also our car trailer has exlectronic brakes for saftey reasons....

Down side is a Sahara V8 is $80,000 and the car trailer we have was $16,000

So its not a cheap exercise...

For the money Id buy a Turbo diesel 80 Series with upgraded rear suspension and buy a car trailer with electronic brakes and an electronic winch...

That winch makes track days so much easier up here in the QLD heat...

The Stagea S1 auto is easily the best tow master I have had and I have had over 20. A trans cooler on any auto for towing is essential.

:( cheers :(

PS; easily the worst tow vehicle I ever had was a Commondoor SS manual ute. No traction, stuff got stolen out of the back and/or wet when it rained. Killed 3 clutches under warranty, first gear was FAR too high for towing. Then the diff died before it was 12 months old. Glad ot see the end of that POS.

Thanks for all the opinions guys. A Delica crossed my mind but I didn't think it had the towing capacity. I think I am going to start looking for a late model AU Falcon with lowish Kms and put a trans cooler on it. I will get one way under $10k I think. They are bargains. But I'll also keep my eyes open if a good price diesel 4x4 comes along. I'll let everyone know what I end up getting.

Just one more question does anyone know what the fuel comsumption is like with a heavy trailer on the back?

VSPEC-33 our v6 jackaroo has done around 240000km auto and does not use a drop of oil. maybe its a good one lol. Anyways with that amount of km, its still like a brand new car. its got balls and tows with stability.

isuzu motors are great.

thats what id get i think in my opinion. 6-10 grand.

Edited by Ryanrb25

Thanks for all the opinions guys. A Delica crossed my mind but I didn't think it had the towing capacity. I think I am going to start looking for a late model AU Falcon with lowish Kms and put a trans cooler on it. I will get one way under $10k I think. They are bargains. But I'll also keep my eyes open if a good price diesel 4x4 comes along. I'll let everyone know what I end up getting.

Just one more question does anyone know what the fuel comsumption is like with a heavy trailer on the back?

We towed our GTR all around in an AU wagon...never a problem...no tranny cooler either.

we just bought a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee and have found it a bit more comfortable...try looking at pre 99 models of those should be able to find something in your price bracket.

Terriable, usually about double what you would normally get, unless you get a diesel, they hardly go through any more.

go the delica

when your not towing a car trailer around what could you possibly want to do in a falcon?

in the delica you can go down the beach fishing, go to the outback and explore our great country, and if your towing your race car across a grass or muddy car park, click it into 4wd and then laugh at all the other 2wd cars spraying mud and rocks over there race cars as they struggle for traction.

Im a builder and have towed my work trailer alsmost everyday for the last 8 years. and it often gets well over 2.5 tonne.

i would'nt even contemplate doing this without a 4wd.

either a gq patrol on gas which will cost you around $10 per hundred kays

or the ITD delica which will cost around $12 per hundred kays

both estimates are from my own past eperience with a trailer of 1.5 tonne

my olds own a delica and love it. great in soft sand, and a very capable towing vehicle with only 100k on the clock.

cheers

darren

my SWB Nissan Patrol with small block chev would pull the space shuttle outta orbit.

nasty fuel economy, you can see the fuel gauge actually moving.

i brought a bunky patrol, dropped in the chev, all up about 3 grand. way cheaper than rebuilding the turbo diesel that was in it. Pretty simple to.

Animal off road too, great for fishing trips but other than that sits in the garage. To loud, to hot to uncomfortable.

ive towed close to 2 tonne with my munro ... pulled the shit easily ... just make sure what ever u get the towpack is adequately fitted and correctly rated ... get something like a ford or holden, and if u get an auto put a shift kit in it, a trans cooler just to help it