SAU Community

Clutch Problem....

nisskid

ok, lately Ive been having problems changing into gear, its been getting harder and harder until finally its at a stage where its so stiff its pretty much un-driveable.

the car is a R32 GTS-t Manual, roughly 150rwkw and stock clutch.

so symptoms, like i said really hard to change into all gears, but mainly when stationary, when moving i think (not 100% sure) double clutching seems to help. Also i think after a while of driving it seems to get better. so this had me thinking mainly it was gearbox related.

until today, i went to start my car which is always left in gear, clutch fully in and when i went to click it over the car rocked like as if u tried to start it in gear but not as harsh. Then once it was started it was still a bitch to get in gear, once i got out of the driveway almost impossible to get into gear, when i had the clutch completely in and tried to put it into 1st and 2nd etc it seemed to start moving forward even though it wasn't even in gear, just pushed down hard trying to get it into gear.

Anyway back to last night clutch was always a possibility so there were a few things i had noticed, the clutch did feel a bit weird and possibly lighter with a lot of slack (could be my imagination), and also i did the drop clutch test, in 1st gear in semi wet conditions with new 225's on the back i revved it up and dropped it rolling at about 10ks and it spun up straight away. I have tried the same with 2nd gear before and no cigar, clutch slipped like a bitch.

To be honest i didn't really think the clutch felt like it was slipping at all during normal driving or even real hard driving (not including clutch kicks) so i still thought i had a bit left in it.

but yeh sorry for the long post but hopefully someone can identify the issue, any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Edited by nisskid

Almost sounds like the clutch is not disengaging properly and this is why you are having trouble changing gears and why it rolled forward even though you had your foot on the clutch when you started it..

Doubt it's slipping, more likely not disengaging..

yep, thats what i couldnt understand, if it was slipping if anything it would probably make it easier to change gears, its more like its engaged partially even when the clutch pedal is completely down. on ns.com i was given a guide to adjust the clutch level in a silvia, that sounds like the way to go but i need to find out how to do it in a R32.

my ceffy did the same at QR on sunday - starting it in gear with clutch in it started to move forward (if i start it in neutral i cant get any gear) - Stopped in staging, foot on clutch (brand new 2wks old Exedy HD item) car still wanted to roll forward slowly...

Car also bunnyhopped occassionally when clutch was fully out

check the fluid level in the master cylinder sounds like you have a leak and there is now air in the system which is why the clutch pedal feels different and also why the clutch is hard to use

BINGO! i went to adjust my clutch today and had the thought, how bout i check my fluid level. turns out it was dry as a 90 year old's snatch, also noticed the brake level was below minimum along with steering fluid. I know the steering pump lines are leaking but i checked my fluids a month or less back and it was all fine. might have to keep a close eye out incase there is a leak in the clutch and brake lines.

easy way to check is master is leaking, is look for stains on the firewall or in the foot well just above the clutch pedal, for the slave just have a look and see if you can see any fluid around it.

the brakes on the other hand i would get checked out, they are not something you want to let go clutch isn't so bad compared to brakes

Edited by Green_s13